Sketchbook: .:: Still Goin' ::. - Page 18
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: .:: Still Goin' ::.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you may feel mediocre, but you are not..

Is great to have you back

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm 29 and still living with my parents.

I won't elaborate too much but to say that my family has been blessed with talent, ambition, and adventurous spirit in a way that makes me feel very much like I'm still a turtle in his shell.

I'll tell you right now, I take pride in my current job but I see it as trap as much as a blessing, and I do not intend to keep it as a career, because it is not what I intend to do with my life.

The reason is, that I know, in my heart of hearts, that I can do more. I know you can do more too. Its not just about not wasting all the sacrifices that you have made. Or the time and effort that others (including artist who aren't even alive any more) have spent to help and encourage you. Its about not betraying your own human potential. You might as well spit in the face God or whatever else you might believe in, as to deliberately turn your back on your own potential.

Just remember you don't have time for doubts, you don't have time for people who say 'I gave up my dream, why should you be different?' You don't have time, because YOU SHOULD BE DRAWING RIGHT NOW!!!

CREATE. DAMMIT.

That being said...I always wanted to be a fighter pilot.

Damn you Tom Cruise.

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well hey again, Kiwi.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    I'm 23, still living with parents, no real job, nay-sayers trying to bring me down, I feel so hopeless. I don't even know what I'm doing any more, that dream to succeed just comes and goes as it pleases.
    I find the thought of being 'mediocre' no longer so horrifying... at times even comforting.
    The sense of purposelessness just becomes so over whelming sometimes, I'm not a kid any more, there's no 'go do some studies' any more. I should be taking responsibility for my life now yet I just have no fucking clue about anything.
    I know exactly how you feel (though to be fair, I'm 23 next month). Christ mate, I've been wearing the same pair of Chuck Taylors for the past FIVE YEARS so I know about stagnation. Oddly enough I'd rather be here than earning low pay as a glorified Mac jockey in some advertising firm.

Step 1: Go for a long walk every day. Seriously. You'll be like "Aww, it's cold/dark/windy/I don't feel like it/I don't have the time" but it does something magical. Especially if you feel like arse beforehand, mentally or emotionally or physically.

Step 2: Stuff. You do what you have to do. Still living with parents? So am I. Can't afford to move out right now. That's the situation a large number of people in the world are in. The fact that your parents haven't booted you should say something about their support for you. They want to see you succeed in your endeavours.
    I help around the house when I'm not working on small things or studying. I can tell you're not sitting around the house idly playing videogames or watching television. Doing studies is taking responsibility, it is being proactive. Studies lead to larger things. You'll be doing one, stumble across something, work that small part further, and suddenly there's an illustration. Then there's a portfolio. Then there's work. And you won't hate it or yourself.
    If you can, go to Magic_Man's sketchbook thread and read through his posts, he doesn't just post art. They're quite thoughtful.

Step 3: Don't think of it as a competition. This is the worst possible thing you can do. Do not keep reminding yourself of "all the other people out there trying to be the same thing". Most will not "succeed" and, knowing that, you can be safe in the knowledge that you can and you will. Sure, the rate of time it takes for you to "get there" will vary but again, up to you. And there will always be naysayers. It pretty much a way of life over here - someone gets some positive growth, six people appear to bitch about it, and then drag the previously ascendant person back down to their level so that they don't feel so bad about themselves anymore - Tall Poppy syndrome. And whatever you do, don't become like them - it's horribly easy.

You want it badly enough; we all do. So kick the door down and go for a stroll.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, please just keep posting, you've got great skills and so much potential,

just keep going man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hehe dont worry mate.
    Other than that, you have very good skills, have you searched for any art related job?
    Anyway relax and enjoy it cause you are already training for something you love, and all this progress and skills you have achieved wouldnt come without having the passion to do them.
    keep up the good work!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeaugh! Diggin the realism in this sketchbook! Heh! Eh heh... Goooooood styleeeeeee!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cout<mecha For This Useful Post:

kidult is online now Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some awesome looking studies

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the support everyone! I'm very grateful.
    I was kind of overreacting before, 'coz I have the emotional stability of a menstruating 16 year old.
    Now that I've calmed down and read your nice messages and thought stuff over, my situation isn't even that bad, it's probably good even.
    I think I had just lost sight of my short term goals. Having long term goals and no short term goals is like scaling a cliff without tools.

So I'm pretty much back on track now, here's one thing I've been working on for a local art forum. A character reinterpretation for 'Jason and the Argonauts'.
    The prize is a ticket to a local workshop held by a couple of artists from Weta.

kidult is online now Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs and good luck......plus at 16 your stuff is looking pretty darn good so keep it up and you'l be working for weta soon!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these sketches are looking yummy, specially the heads.I like the strong outer lines
    Keep up the good work!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You better win that prize Ooooooooh

So Jason and the Astronauts it looks like you're heading for? Some good face studies. With the space suit I'm guessing it's not designed for fighting openly with that rigid neck armour. But yeah nice explorations

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much bettah...

I've often thought that the Argonauts would be awesome as a scifi interpretation...especially Talos...hehe.
    The Argos, too...a talking ship, eh? Plenty of room for robots, space monsters, who knows what else.

I really like the headshots of Jason. Especially the tousled-haired, slightly unshaven ones. Given that this
    is a character design and that Jason is 'Our Hero', I really think you ought to prominently display his face
    somehow in the final, even if its as a vignette (think book cover or movie poster...).

This more rendered design looks okay, but I do feel like it should have more 'punch'. Don't let thematic
    elements overpower the need for a compelling composition...back away from the image and just look at
    the simplified overall effect of the lines and colors.

I like the broad-shouldered silhouette of the design on the far right of the first sheet , and the confident
    pose of the two designs next to him. What about working in crest on the helmet somehow...as an
    antenna, or maybe a floodlight?

Anyways cool beans, keep it up. Win that ticket!

Last edited by BludHund; June 27th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
    sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kidult: That's was a joke, I'm not 16 at all.
    kingkostas: Thanks bud!
    fionkell: Cheers bra. The suit is definitely not for combat.
    BludHund: Thanks man. I didn't mention that the brief is actually for a cinematic interpretation, so a friend told me that the face isn't so important because I can't design an actor, lol.
    I understand that I can still get a personality going but since I don't have much time left anyway and if I can get away with not doing then cool.

In terms of the suit design, yeah, people don't really seem to like it which is ironic because it's one of few of my own designs that I'm actually happy with so I'm just gonna be bold (or dickhead) and just stick with it.

Just for fun, Apollo and Hecate from the story.

Thumbnail and lines for final. One day left. Still don't know what direction I'm gonna take it.
    Just noticed I screwed up the posture from the thumbnail. Fuck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew, managed to finish it on time.
    Here is the accompanying summary:

Argonautica 2000
    My concept takes place in the year 2000 of an alternate time line. Where ancient Greece continued it's rule
    till modern time, and their remarkable feats of technological advancements raced ahead unhindered.
    By the year 2000, space exploration became the norm, and traversing the far reaches of our galaxy was feasible.

My vision for the concept of the technology in this world is to be grounded in reality, especially the aesthetics.
    Jason is a space explorer and his suit is not geared towards combat. My aim was for his suit to remain somewhat ordinary, built to do the job without superfluousness.
    Despite being in the far future (compared to the real world), the Greeks have strong culture and I wanted to show this by
    reflecting ancient Greek aesthetics in the design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad you´re back on track man, been missing your arts! how about some handsome self portraits?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Flaskpost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey HK, that's the right track. Short term as well as long term goals.

My short term goals are....be a better draftsman. Tackle figure design and learn value & composition. Whatever I need to draw solid figures. I want the tools at hand so I'm earning them steadily. My long term......I don't know yet. Some career to do with art......
    Good to break down what skills you admire and then go for them. At the very least you'll have many options the more skills you have.
    You're quite young. Just set a path of skills you want and let the experiences grow. You've got the time and the support from your parents, yet. Exploit it. Explore without pressure of living paycheck to paycheck. Create and absorb all you can. You'll have time enough on your own.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flaskpost: Hey bud! I suppose self portraits could be in order, haven't done any in ages.
    AztcFireFlower: Good advice, thank you.

Couple o' studies.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man, some lovely studies. Keep em comin!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

33. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Krel: Thanks dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You draw much more then me.. Soon you won't be "mediocre" anyway
    (by this phrase I'm not saying that I'm better than you, just emphasizing )

" relax, take your time and let the lines flow, art is not a race, its a life long journey through time and space. "
    Android

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ~FPudiU~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies!!!Interesting concept up there, and the preliminary sketches are great.The rendering have some nice brushtrokes.The multi light source make it seem a little flat in some areas and makes it harder to bring out form.Just keep up and improve things in the next one.Actually the next ones seem better
    You are doing a good work, so keep it up!!!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to hear your not 16......tired of ass-kicking teenagers.....glad you a ass kicking older person.....er...yes

40. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't mean to be a hypocrite but everytime I visit your SB there is always such a variety of stuff. Other than figure drawings you don't seem to ever pick up a theme consistently for any period of time. Maybe I'm wrong though; if you have done this please excuse my fart. For he who hath smelt it, hath dealt it!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to cout<mecha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~FPudiU~: Thanks.
    kingkostas: Thanks for the crit man. Didn't really have a clue about how the lighting would work in that environment.
    kidult: Yeah, those little bastards.
    cout<mecha: You're right on the money. That's one of my major problems, not having any consistent ideas/style/themes in my work.
    I'm still struggling to build a portfolio because my work content is all over the place.

Fooling around. Coloured page is with water colour pencils, which are quite fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, we have to learn to curb our enthusiasm sometime. Even if there are SO MANY THINGS out there we want to do and see and draw

I reckon you should do a few black and white portfolio pieces, characters and creatures, you're good with graphic styles like in that last page there.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fionkell: Cheers bud.
    I have always like black and white art the most. I actually had no care in the world for painting with colours until I realized that I kind of have to...
    Anyway, I enjoy B&W so I'm gonna try do more of it.

The following is a study turned into fooling around. I figured I need to do this more,
    because I learn more and it's efficient because I get something worth showing out the time spent
    as opposed to just boring shit that nobody cares about.

Last edited by HunterKiller_; July 16th, 2010 at 06:37 AM.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should try some digi life studies. They help loads with learning how to render differant materials and surfaces.

like the last one you posted! keep it up!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i find this last one really interesting and with high potential.maybe if you are not bored you can push the rendering more.very interesting.
    Dont worry about light that much, i mean when you dont know the situation use a light that will aid your composition, bring out the forms etc.
    keep up the good work

51. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is a bit like my stuff, only that its better though.

Really like the studies man, I wanna see you carry that through to the imagined art aswell. Cant wait for that to happen.

Awesome shyt.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kidult: Yeah I don't do enough drawing from life, period. Reminds me that I need to get a decent light so I can setup some still lifes.
    kingkostas: Thanks man. I've actually touched up the tree stumps and the skull just a bit little (replaced the previous image), not sure what more I should do to it.
    bhanu: Better? Pfff that's fool talk . Thanks I appreciate it.

Oh look, it's Mr. Cthulhu. Does he come bearing gifts f- OH GOD, OH GOD AHHHHH AHHHH AHHHH GUHHHKKUAJS(*@&$(*%

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23