Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Miletis Ars

Thanks
    Beautiful stuff going on here. MatthewandHannahbeach is my favorite here because it's the one that truly captures a sense of light. The parts in shadow are relatively light and kept fairly flat and consistent but that edge of the shadow is what makes the drawing really read. Some dude at LAAFIG is selling all his art books in the office and I have reserved a few that I think you will really enjoy. One is a book of Sorolla and the other one is a japanese guy, forgot his name. Oh and there is a Duvaneck book there but it was already claimed. and there is a Iylia Repin book that $1,000

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Another charcoal figure from life. It doesn't look real. These frustrate. The next will be a step up.

Miletis Ars
    Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Beautiful work, nice updates!

Thanks
    Sensitive and beautiful figure. If you're trying to go for more realism you gotta focus. Try squinting to see the value relationships of the figure first, and try blocking this in. Right now youre suggesting shadows just about everywhere is almost the same intensity, so the form ends up lost.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    sabe2003- Thank you

SirGreensock - I know. Some more eye training.

Sorry that all of this is blurry. You can't really see anything. I'll be fixing that in future updates.

Self portraits in sanguine, white and black charcoal, sepia conte, and pen. And one small portrait of mother.

Miletis Ars

Miletis Ars

Miletis Ars

Miletis Ars

Miletis Ars

Miletis Ars
    Last edited by Listing; August 19th, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
    Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

Thanks
    Shit dude, love those marks in post #107. If you're having trouble getting the volume to read right, remember that the lightest darks (reflected light in this piece) are still darker than your darkest lights. But I still like that piece. It looks like your tightening up too. Play around with where and how much you tighten up. Don't want to lose all that kickass looseness you show in some of your earlier stuff.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Hey dude, some really nice drawings in here!

If I could make a suggestion on the paintings - seems to me you are still drawing, only with paint, pastel or whatever. You might be better off thinking of shapes instead, not exactly the lines of the shape but actually painting the shape. Hmm, hard to explain... Instead of painting the edges paint the entire shape. Am I making any sense?

Thanks
    Sup Listing, cheers for posting in my book mate.

Idiot Apathy said it mate: approach your painting with a tonal approach rather than a linear approach. Paint the entire plane, not just the edges/hatching. Of course there are old Masters such as Rubens who approached their paintings in a very linear fashion, but the result was always tonal in nature.

That said, I'm very impressed by your life drawings - great expression, good job in capturing the essence of things. Might want to tighten your hatching some, but otherwise great work! Keep 'em coming!

ciao!

- d.

Thanks
    So, I edited the last post for clarity and put in a few more of the set.

BlueSeverin - Thanks. In my study I've been shifting between the extremely loose and the inscrutably tight (I think this is typical). So, I'm heading back to solid ground, but right, I don't want to lose the expressiveness.

Idiot Apathy and Demented - I understand about the painting. Those very recent paintings are sort of exceptional but I actually approach painting completely in mass. I actually am having issues with edges. I see why you'd think so though. My brushwork is tending to imitate my drawn line. If I'm really missing something, please tell me. Compliments.
    Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for the word of advice in my sketchbook.

I like the doll sketches, and the fact that you made the faces look alive is even cooler... you have a great handle on faces. I wish I could offer some advice in return, but you're way above me in drawing and anatomy.

Thanks
    Meatsworthy - Thanks. And you're the better painter.

A sanguine,sepia,charcoal self-portrait

Miletis Ars

Pencil doll still-life

Miletis Ars

Two quick paintings of a statuette and a doll with more attention to edges.

Miletis Ars

Miletis Ars
    Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

Thanks
    hey Listing, thanks for dropping by my book, seriously caught me off guard cause i ditched that book in march. Your portraits are getting better, but may i suggest slowing down with them? they look quite scratchy. keep it up!

Thanks
    your colors are interesting but still a little confusing- to me.. at this point..

the charcoal stuff is sick though!! reallly nice! keep going man ill be around

krakel

Thanks
    Excellent work Miles, I think I may have missed seeing this in my fervent dash for your self portraits.

And that piece is awesome.
    !

Thanks
    I don't know how dedicated you are to this style, but I would like to see you try to make a nicely rendered and "finished" drawing.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.