A couple sketches - Need some advice please!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A couple sketches - Need some advice please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A couple sketches - Need some advice please!

Hi! I'm new.

That out of the way, here's a brief background about me as an artist: I started drawing in 2000, and for a good while I... sucked. I was also inspired by anime, so naturally most of my early drawings look like vomit. Recently, I've decided to try and shake off the anime influence, as I've become more and more influenced by Western comic books lately. =]

I'm also starting college this fall, and I'm taking some art classes as well. Hopefully I'll learn a few things, but I suppose it never hurts to get help from elsewhere too, eh?

Now then, here's two of my sketches, both original characters.

01. Irma Blake

Irma is an original from an original story I'm doing. The picture I have in mind (I will digitally do the rest, if you are wondering) is kinda hard to describe, but I wanted to do something with Irma looking rather upset/suspicious, like someone is stepping into the room behind her.

I know there's something off about the arms... but I can't quite put my finger on it. They're behind her back, because I'm aiming for 'pensive' or upset... one of the two. Her breasts also bother me... but then again I've never quite gotten a good idea on how to draw them properly.

If there's anything else you can pick out that needs improvement, feel free to red line, point out, ect. all.

02. Crysta Hudson

Crysta is from a different original story of mine. She's about 13-14ish, though I'm still not quite good at drawing younger characters... yet. Sorry about the high contrast sketch... some details didn't turn show up in the original scan. D=

I realize this one needs ALOT of improvement. I liked the pose, but something seems VERY off about it. Would anyone be willing to red line what needs to be fixed, please? Her face seems like it needs work too.

And for her costume, I will be adding it later when I can come up with a decent design (hence the feet being placeholders for the boots). So for now, she's wearing a one piece leotard. ^^;

That's all I have for now. =]

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're trying to move away from anime, draw from life and photos. Do anatomy studies. Have an understanding of what things look like in real life before trying to draw comic style pieces. The world doesn't need any more bad anime, so practice, practice, practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're trying to move away from anime, draw from life and photos. Do anatomy studies. Have an understanding of what things look like in real life before trying to draw comic style pieces. The world doesn't need any more bad anime, so practice, practice, practice.
    Hmmm, that sounds helpful! Especially the anatomy studies part, which a few have reccomended I look into recently. Are there any books (or online sites) that might be of help?

Ah. I've noticed that even the more stylized artists have some grip on anatomy and basic 'structure' of the human form.

And I SO agree. That's why I decided to move away from the stuff while I still had a chance to 'escape', heh heh.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.