• CHOW#29 - VOTING - Montreal Workshop Mascot cognition.sb

7 7.29%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW#29 - VOTING - Montreal Workshop Mascot

And so... it was among us all

amazing as the event - the first round with all the entries taken up.
    You guys are great. Now...
    CLICK YOUR VOTE

WALNUT
    no border, no description - were you tempting me?

Salvidor, the octopus from Montreal, finds it impossible to control his ink sac. He is haunted by a never-ending flow of oddly representational imagery wherever he goes.

he's the imp, or muse or demon or whatever you want to call him that exists in all of us creative types. He's the inspiration and the frustration you feel. It's at his whim, weather your creative juices are going to flow or if he's just going to jam that pencil into the base of your brain stem and make it impossible for you to create anything you like.

Monty- born and raised in Montreal. eats skillful mother fuckers, then craps superb art work. WILL slaughter any idiot who`ll go up against the pros. WILL slaughter any idiot who won`t. marital status: currently single, ladies.

Montreal Workshop Shaman:
    The Montreal Mascot is the holder of life, love, death, creation, destruction and the birth of imagination. The Montreal Workshop Mascot contains elements of both the Massive Black logo and the Montreal flags colors and the iconic maple leaf.

[B]MB Montreal MascotB]
    This mascot stands for aesthetic beauty and creativity, it symbolises the ability to manipulate life into an artistic outcome. It also represents the growth of all artists, a unified efficiency, and it has no single identity - only recognisable by a rooster mask.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me it was between walnut and Mike. Finally, I voted for Mike.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went for Mike - most fineshed looking....however you NAUGHTY man, mirrored halves, tut tut!!!

Also loved Chuck.mate's entry,

Shame not to have seen a load more entries here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't pin down why, but octothreat's entry really hits the spot for me. Admittedly (and no offense intented) it's a synergistic thing - the image as a whole (typographically etc) is far stronger that the brevity of the concept. But it gets my vote!

Walnut, mike, cognition exceptional stuff.

crazy3dman - good lines let down by the brutal colour job and the conspiciously mismatched proportions.

chuck mate - it's cool but it just seems a bit too light on. I think it's an intrisic limitation of the medium in this case as the character is pulled off really well. It's very easy to imagine him animated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a portrait of carnifex would have this contest won by a mile.
    awsome entries indeed.
    new topic is up...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful, Mike. And kudos, too, to cognition.sb. Great job.

Cheers,
    Barb

2medusa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Mike, awesome.
    And Tom, nothing wrong with mirrored halves. If it works it works. Symetry lends an image a degree of grandiosity and otherworldiness.
    And, if you analize Mike's image carefully, you will realize that the two halves are actually not exact mirrors. Sorry man, don't mean to put your comment down, but this image is too good to let it spoil it for anyone.
    :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MikeC's and walnut's are my favorites... They are quite different, yet for a mascot I felt the graphic simplicity of walnut is more suitable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While there were other enties that were pure genius and incredibly detailed, my vote went to Walnut for staying a bit truer to the mascot theme. He's a very cool looking guy that I could see running back and forth in my office, squaking and crowing, trying to get me creatively motivated... plus who couldn't vote for a Massive Black Cock?

"Baby, you make me wish I had three hands!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    while cognition's and MIke's are gorgeous illustrations, Walnut's works better as a symbol.
    mike--- I was gonna reccommend you see the work of a printmaker named Dave Morrison, a different take on this same archtypical image...yours is very nice job, but he seems to have no web presence at all ,bizzarre I'll have toget on his case about that
    chaos
    Who's making the TSHIRTS I want one of each!
    chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys,

chaosrocks- thanks, I tried searching too but found nothing. btw- MB is making t-shirts, they go on sale Tuesday there is a thread in the lounge if u haven't seen it.

I voted for Cognition- loved the mask and colors, perhaps doesn't work so well as an icon but I don't recall seeing that as being a part of the rules or topic, it called for a mascot. I don't think this stuff is going to be used for anything anyhow since the workshop is over so I based my vote off of concept/idea/originality/render and quality as it pertains to the topic of Montreal/Workshop/Mascot and massive black since their linked to the whole thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Mike. Thought it was the best concept and well-executed. I think it portrays MB well, as it reflects the innovation and symbolism used in their professional work. It also gives an idea of typical video game subject matter.

As far as icons/symbols/logos are concerned, you can isolate parts of complex designs to make an icon. eg. taking the mask from my piece, the growing maple or skull from mike's etc.

I probably could've explained the use of my piece further, but as the topic states, I was making a mascot character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I voted for Chuck Mate, the description really got me, "eats skillful mother fuckers, then craps superb art work" This is some of the funniest stuff i have read here.
    Second place is crazy3dman, very funny looking creature and great render job.
    and also cognition really nice concept and render job.

To tell the truth, Mike you do some pretty nice art work, but I just dont like this one very much, It seems way too stiff, I know it's supposed to be a maple leaf but with the stiff character arms in there Im just not digging the style.
    All around though very nice work from everybody!, Im gonna have to find some time to do one of these soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snarfevs - Im glad it hits the spot!
    I went for Walnut's. Stylistically, it seems really strong, and just says "Im a mascot"

Last edited by Octothreat; June 19th, 2006 at 01:50 AM.
    "The colours red, blue and green are real. The colour yellow is a mystical experience shared by everybody" - Stoppard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MIKECORREIRO-

This is a nice looking jump in style for mike, the red maple leaf heart sells it but it just looks gloomy and that's good. high school style mascots suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the votes and comments, mates.

obviously dudes and dudets here are biassed as usual, and that`s not something that gonna change any time soon.
    (and i guess it`s also a natural phenomena where any group of people get together and share themselfs for quite some time...)
    and maybe i just took the word "M A S C O T" too literal. silly me.

nice work everybody, voted for no one.

cheers,
    Pat.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to Walnut. That pose is so majestic

and..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck,mate.
    thanks for the votes and comments, mates.

obviously dudes and dudets here are biassed as usual, and that`s not something that gonna change any time soon.
    (and i guess it`s also a natural phenomena where any group of people get together and share themselfs for quite some time...)
    and maybe i just took the word "M A S C O T" too literal. silly me.

nice work everybody, voted for no one.

cheers,
    Pat.
    is this serious?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chuck,mate - You have 21% of the vote so far, people loved your idea and no one said anything bad about it..

obviously dudes and dudets here are biassed as usual
    In all honesty, just trying to understand what you mean by biased, do you mean because people tend to vote for something that is more detailed, painted, dark, moody? If so I can understand where your coming from because that is some times true, designs with glowing parts and teeth/spikes more often then not appeal to people over something of the opposite it's just how it goes. I just don't see why you feel as if no one deserves your vote, that just seems like disrespect to say such a thing, or childish to a certain degree. I question, if you were winning by the majority would you vote for someone then?

as a minor crit- I said before I loved your piece I think it's a great icon/illustration and would look great as a logo and on t-shirts etc. Though as far as a mascot, it doesn't quite stick to the topic which involved a specific location " Montreal ". I don't see anything in the design that would reflect the topic: " Montreal Workshop Mascot " other than the design being styled like a creature logo with conceptart.org's color scheme.

Last edited by Mike Corriero; June 19th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sheeshhh.....relax, antboy.
    i know mine isn`t a bird skull with random shapes copy-pasted mirror-ways,
    but still, i thought.. well.. characters should have.....you know....CHARACTER.
    and i don`t take myslef too seriously and make things "detailed,painted, dark, moody" for something that should be FUN, like a godamn workshop MASCOT.

and i didn`t vote for anyone, because no piece really do anything to me.
    what? should i lie and play "nice"? people will hate me? really?
    screw that.
    i`m glad some (including yourself) liked Monty. it was a FUN piece to create,
    and every comment and vote is most appreciated.
    that`s all i really care about.
    turn down a notch the stick-up-the-butt mode.

-Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chuck, you are a real piece of work. Stirring up shit seems to be your modus operandi . In all seriousness, you should run, not walk, to your doctor's office and get on some meds. Your psychosis is out of control again.

2medusa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 2medusa
    Chuck, you are a real piece of work. Stirring up shit seems to be your modus operandi . In all seriousness, you should run, not walk, to your doctor's office and get on some meds. Your psychosis is out of control again.
    hey, medusa :
    get raped.
    oops. look what my psychosis made me do now....

-Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright children lets grow the fuck up. Chuck we went thru this crap in CoW lets not carry it over to CHoW. Chuck if no one deserved a vote then dont comment. Mike sometimes Chuck just likes to stir shit up because it becomes an asspat fest in these forums. Not to say that some restraint might have been beneficial but too late for that now in retrospect. Nothing but respect for the both of you and youre well aware of it so when I say shit like this Im not just talking out of my ass. In short: dont comment if theres nothing worth commenting about and dont respond to people who you think need to reign it in in terms of negative comments. All this stuff accomplishes is a huge flame war that takes up pages and pages of what could be useful/instructional comments. End it now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Say what you want to me chuck I could care less, but I'm at a loss for words on this one your out of control with what you said to 2medusa.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck,Mate.
    hey, medusa :
    get raped.
    oops. look what my psychosis made me do now....
    This is single-handedly the most insulting thing I've ever read on these forums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, seriously Chuck that was not cool man. I think alot or people on these forums should be more professional and stop being like a bunch of prima donnas. If someone doesnt like your artwork for whatever reason then so be it. Im not always crazy about your work myself but, every once in a while you'll pump something out that like "oh, shit.... Thats hot!"

A person's artwork isnt always going to cater to the masses it's the pride you put into it whats important.

BTW- I voted for Walnut...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chuck, I like you very much. but it is a bad kharma to wish someone disaster. You better correct it. I'm not religious but I believe in self-destruction with negative emotions. they will eat you from inside out, said from personal experience. You need to be in control of them, not the other way around. Treat others as you don't mind to be treated. . I repeat I like you and respect you and know you are very overworked.

Now back to art
    I voted for octothreat, but my, oh my, I will not forget this Chow, so many interesting ideas and images. Really feels like big impulse of energy and intellect. Maybe the theme has to do something with that and apparent sympathy to CA.org.

Octothreat
    Description effected me a lot, I admit, but I liked the idea very much, it symbolizes creative process for me and it is funny and salty and laconic. But to think, in the best moment, or ,maybe we wish it was like this, but isn't it the best scenario - create the art subconsciously, free, just pouring your feelings on paper, like this octopus doesn't have control to stop ink and creates images non stop. Crazy and truthful idea of creative process, in my opinion.
    Execution is very simple, but beautiful nevertheless. Fonts of the text are a bit too tense for the uncontrollable ink leakage, but anyway I like the piece very much.

crazy3man. Yours were my second choice. Great execution, body language, the face, colors, everything. And idea, I can relate. It is not beautiful girl, muse, who directs an artist, it is something like this, mad, domineering, demanding, cruel. Heheh, the caricature has a sadomasochism in it, don't you think . Creating art is very much mix of happiness and suffering.

WALNUT Very nice, interesting mix of strict design and funny-looking logotype. Good composition. the rooster has hilarious outfit, heheh, such a parody on superman. Funny, especially this shirt with stars .

Chuck,mate. You know, I don't agree, it might be true in some cases, but i think creating art is actually movement farther away from our animal side, more to our angel's half. If we take the idea that we are half angels , half animals, or in some other proportions. So I don't like the idea art coming out this way, I think brains and other organs do the deed. Art as crap or whatever it is in your piece, I don't know. Maybe you are being ironic.
    Your image has a meaning, but I don't want it to be true.
    Execution is great though. just face expression is enough to know what kind of creative force it is.
    P.S. You said you are grateful for any comments, remember that if you want to write back. I wrote with these of your words in my mind. In my mind, art is not crap, it is a cream of human brains, nectar of his soul. sorry for high words.

MIKECORRIERO Interesting, there is a motion from bottom of the page to the top in this painting, like grow, You have a very positive feeling about art creation, looks like the best thing for you. Image reminds me a tree and I have association with complexity and time and energy consuming process of growing as an artist. Looks exotic too. Interesting, pose is static, but there is an inner motion to the top. I like it. As a crits, I think image is a bit overloaded with symbols.

Cognition I think the idea is cult of Beauty and Human body. Takes back to antique times. And actually I have an association with Kubrick move (Eyes wide shot) too, this bird mask and mysterious rich colors reminds me this.
    Body language is a bit not clear. and the shadow looks out of style in my opinion. I like the coloring so much, very elegant image.

Last edited by sve; June 20th, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let him play his games...who cares....btw, Chuck you should search in some dictionary meaning of word "modest". The worst thing is that you are talented and I don't know why you have these complexes….

You don’t have to write to me …

Cheers
    Kuba

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually care, I like him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits/comments Sveta, you make a lot of sense even though your English is a bit choppy and I always appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike, thanks for telling me this. Really glad you said this. I always wonder how much of what I wanted to tell went though my words, because of my English in particularly. But I wish you were more precise and told me exactly what I write wrong (for your own eyes sake, in future, btw) If not you, who will help me? .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.