Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts

Let's talk about some AMAZING movies

if you haven't seen it, or didn't quite get into it...

So last night I watched Way of the Gun for, oh, probably the 15th time or so. I hadn't seen it in awhile, so I put it on while I was working and WOW did I forget how well made that movie is. It's rare that I see a movie where I feel that every single little word, look, and gesture has meaning to it. The layers of subtlety still have me seeing and understanding things which I missed on previous viewings, not to mention the visual composition of some of the scenes are just fantastic. Unlike in Usual Suspects (McQuarries previous film, though only written and not directed) which loses a great deal of my interest on the second viewing, Way of the Gun just gets more and more engaging to me. I also think the music is perfect, the casting is excellent, and the depiction of violence as something real, scary, and dangerous is something that more action movies would benefit from. So this is my recomendation for an outstanding action picture very different from most any action picture you've seen. Be warned, it's violent.

Now, I want some recomendations of movies that blew YOUR socks off and why...
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well..... the only CG picture that really blew my socks away was Jurassic Park... It's a simple premise with non-over-the-top CG effects, plus John Williams epic score (I love the overture and ending theme)... But seeing as everybody's watched this movie, I recommend everybody to see it again... Charming and epic film at the same time...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Well, I remember the first movie I was totally in awe of was Jurassic Park.. I'm sure the dinosaurs and effects were the main thing that attracted me then (when I was still in primary school), but to me it still remains one of the best films I have ever seen because of the script, actors and character development... especially jeff goldblum and richard attenbourough. Despite it being action/adventure or whatever there are a lot of moments when the characters are sitting down or just standing around. To me these are the greatest moments in the film.

From the start there's the standing around in the caravan, sitting in the helicopter, sitting on the tour, standing around the raptor eggs/enclosure, sitting having dinner, sitting in the jeeps, sitting by the computers, the eating ice cream bit, sitting in the trees, reading the schematics bit.. and there are probably a load more, but the exchange between the characters in all these scenes are so well acted and written it really draws you in and keeps you interested...mixing all these scenes up with action and suspense makes it well paced and balanced, so it never once gets boring.....

Was also going to say why I think The Hitcher is so amazing, but I could only be bothered to do one

edit: Damn you seba boi !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by yAdam; June 16th, 2006 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Ahh, The usual suspects blew my socks off the first time too, except the socks stayed off and I couldn't blow them off again since it's that type of film. Great experience however.

Shawshank Redemption too, mind blowing... Green Mile is extremely far fetched but I loved that film.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yAdam
    edit: Damn you seba boi !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Haha!... I thought I was nuts recommending Jurassic Park... But glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking of it!...

I saw the trilogy disc last night at HMV for such a cheap price, but I instead bought Vol. 3 & 4 of Futurama instead for cheapo price of CAN$25 each!... Now my collection is complete...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 680 Posts
    Powder.
    Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

Thanks
    kill vol. 1 and 2 both hit me hard. Just the sure crazy-ness of them is something I fully enjoyed.
    Once Upon a Time in the West always gets me. Such an awesome movie.

Thanks
    Once Upon a Time in the West always gets me. Such an awesome movie.
    dude, right there. I've seen it, but I love seeing it again
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Ping Pong (Japan 2001) blows me away with each viewing. It's a wonderfully crafted story with very relatable, universal themes, handled tastefully. The acting is solid, the soundtrack is near perfect, and the story is unbelievable. It's a must see, and my personal favorite movie that I can watch anytime, anywhere.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Adaptation, both written by Charlie Kauffman are incredible stories that have been masterfully executed. The acting is stupendous in both films as well, and the soundtracks are good.

City of God is a fantastic South American film about gangs in Brasil. The story is great, but the cinematography is really where this movie shines. Acting and soundtrack are both way way way above average.

Oldboy is a great move about revenge. Not something I like to watch on a regular basis, but it's brilliantly executed from acting, cinematography, soundtrack, and storytelling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Seven Samurai- This is one of my all time favorites. Akira Kurosawa is a visionary and an amazing storyteller.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly- My favorite western. It marked the birth of the cool, gritty pulp western genre.

Alien- In my opinion, the greatest horror movie of all time.

There are really too many movies I love to make write-ups of all of them so here's a list.

Akira
    Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman
    Boondock Saints
    Ghost in the Shell
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    The Dark Crystal
    I fist full of Dollars
    Once apon a time in China
    Iron Monkey

Thanks
    Akira Kurosawa's Dreams.

Thanks
    Withnail and I
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Batman Begins > Superman Returns
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Bram Stoker's Dracula really got me. The visual experience, the relations between the characters, the constent atmosphere, and of course dracula's red armor.
    Seriously, the story is well done, i haven't read the actual book it's based on, but i guess it respects it.
    Also, there's Road to Perdition, the photography, the screenplay, and the actor's perfomence is really gripping.

Thanks
    Shawshank Redemption, but only like once a decade. It takes me a while to forget how awesome good movies are so I can watch them again.

Also the first Matrix.

Thanks
    The Incredibles!

I also second Oldboy. One of the few movies that stuck with me for weeks after watching it. One of the strongest tragic movies I've seen in a long while.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    I third Oldboy.

That movie blew my mind.

Also:

Aliens - Rocked outright
    Shawshank Redemption - Great drama
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - ditto
    Wings of Honneamise - ditto, but with an excellent mood and sci-fi elements
    The Matrix - This one made me think. Too bad the sequels were made
    LOTR: TTT and ROTK - In the theater for the first time these were amazing
    Seven Samurai - The ending seriously got to me
    Saving Private Ryan - Visceral and moving at the same time
    Star Wars: TLH and ROTJ - When I first saw these as a kid I was simply inspired
    Stargate - I love that movie, and I'm glad it was made, since I love the series too. :o
    Space Odyssey:2001 - It moved me to tears like no other movie has. Tears of boredom.
    Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb - The last 20 minutes make this one of the funniest movies of all time.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    I've seen Requiem for a dream again last week, hadn't seen it since... not long after t came out actually. The actors are so awesome, and it's the kind of movie that, when it finishes, you just remain sitting staring blankly for 10 minutes trying to get your bearing. If you know people who like to play with drugs and think they'll never get into trouble, have them watch it.

Thanks
    Requiem for a dream
    wheeeeeew... not on my list, no sir. depressed the SHIT out of me

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I remember seeing the end of Way of the Gun about 4 or 5 years ago. I remember liking it guess i should see the rest of it.

For a few Dollars more is awsome (had to say it cause someone mentioned the other 2 films in the trilogy). And while i like watching A fist full of dollars, i've lost respect for it cause its shot for shot a western version of Yojimbo by Kurusawa, camera angles and all its rediculous. Leone even lost a court battle over it.

The Professional is one of my all time favorites. Love, trauma, violence, Luc Besson, Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman in one movie makes pure awsome.

The Killer by John Woo is great also.

And of course i have to mention Amelie. Great great movie. Everyone should see it atleast once.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    requim for a dream
    yup once was more than enough ...

highlander,
    in the name of the father,
    stand by me,
    godfather 1 (altho it paled in comp to the book),
    A.I,
    Pi - short, black and white but got a good message, could go on for quite a while abou it,
    What Dreams May Come - dont know wat exactly about it held me but the endin might have something to do with it,

thats all i can think of for now, gotta get me some of the movies u guys been ravin about.

o ya scent of a woman too, WOW loved that 1 thru and thru. incredible acting, if ur lookin for visuals look another way..

later
    the sole intention is learning to fly

Thanks
    A lot of the great have already been mentioned but here are two I enjoy

Fight Club-Put things into perspective

American History X-Ed Norton is the man.

City of God- is an excellent film, you must watch it!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    This movie didnt depress me rather then was just waaaaaaay too disturbing for me to watch.. and I like disturbing films.. the interesting part was that the role of the mother was probably the most depressing along with the chick that had to fuck that dude in front of everybody for the heroine. Im a HUGE fan of the Usual Suspects, Way of the gun was a fantastic movie didnt even know it was directed by the same person.. I also a huge fan of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Three Kings which I felt was a huge Sleeper... Das Experiment which I brag about all the time... Oldboy which has to have the most evil villian in movie history..... Iron Giant probably one of my top three favorite animations of all time....! Im a huge fan of Saw and I know alot of you are NOT! Braveheart... Probably my fav. huge epic movie ever made... There are tooooo many... I just saw a movie called El Bola that I felt was very good as well.... Y Tu Mama Tambien was excellent, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Jacobs Ladder has one of the creepiest scenes of all time...
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 680 Posts
    Collateral left me in the rain. It made me feel all warm inside..
    Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

Thanks
    Brazil.
    It's actually turned into my favorite film, amazing...

Thanks
    Hmm I rewatched Brazil recently on the big screen. I was expecting to enjoy it based on how I remembered it from the last time I saw it (long ago). But I didn't like it at all. I'll stick to The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. that ones always been a favorite of mine.

Thanks
    Sympathy for Lady Vengeance the last in Park's vengeance trilogy, I prefer it to Oldboy for some reason, probably because it contains way more humour, it's black humour but definitely funny.

I also love the usual suspects an absolute god of a movie, the portrayal of Verbal is masterly.

Thanks
    Memento--Such a refreshing look at storytelling and movie making. Incredible take on the conventions of the linear narrative. Loved it.

I had something else come to mind and then completely forgot it. HA!

Thanks
    Might be trite to say but,
    Jacob's Ladder was just a complete mind screw and wowed the hell out of me.(no pun intended)
    Blade Runner So insanely ahead of it's time.
    :Edit: Damn vigo got jacob's ladder in there...bugger.
    :Edit 2: Just saw an extremely short (7 min) but nonetheless incredible 3-d animated movie...called The Cathedral
    if you can get your hands on it....do so.
    Last edited by Helzon; August 15th, 2006 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks
    I'll agree with alot of movies metioned so far, the Kill Bills, City of God, etc.
    Personally, I'm partial to Dark City and even more so Baraka and Koyaanisqatsi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast