Seen a Tablet-PC with pen sensivity?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seen a Tablet-PC with pen sensivity?

yo folks,

yesterday my new tablet-pc has finally arrived. it a stylistic st5032 from fujitsu siemens. i really LOVE that slim light businesslooking thing BUT i found out that it has no pen sensivity. so i'm gonna give it back.

does somebody know a tablet-pc that supports pen-sensivity?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I've also been looking around for a tablet PC with pen sensitivity. I think as long as the tablet PC uses Wacom pennable technology then you can just buy the tablet PC pens of Wacom and use them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay folks - now here for all:

there is a tablet driver available at http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver.cfm that makes pen pressure available for tablet-pc's with a penabled wacom screen. (thx war!!!)
    so i can start my worx now! YAYAYAAAHH! [does anyone know good tutorials for painting with photoshop?]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one dude! I think n** has got a fujitsu, they seem to be quite popular. I think I might get one myself instead of a labtop, fo you have any lag issues with it? Is it well calibrated and all that shit? Is it good overall? cause if so I might buy it. I can give up on pencils and sketchbooks then aswell, cause i won't need them to develop my linework. Infact I don't think I've seen n** do any traditional work! I'll stiil do oil painting though, but again it can be so damn expensive!

Last edited by blog; June 16th, 2006 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about this one?

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/products_nomad_LP.php

"The Nomad’s award-winning pressure sensitive interface makes drawing directly on the screen a dream, and allows animators to explore any style they desire - just as naturally as drawing on paper."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost all tablet PC's use graphire digitizers, and are pressure sensitive. However, as Brain found out, pressure sensitivity does not work in Photoshop right away. The reason for this is that photoshop uses the old "wintab" pen interface. Microsoft designed a new pen interface called HID (I think) for the tablet PC but almost no graphics programs support it - Adobe never built HID support into PS. I don't think Painter did either. But if you get the latest drivers from Wacom the problem is fixed, but with a slight performance hit, since it translates the HID input into the old-style wintab input then feeds that to PS.

If you want to try a painting program designed specifically for the tablet PC, and that supports HID directly, give Alias Sketchbook Pro a try. I don't like it much myself, but my Art Director swears by it.

Good luck with the Tablet PC. Did you get one with an indoor/outdoor screen? I got one of the early Fujitsu's three summmers ago. It only lasted a year before self destructing, and I didn't like using it enough to bother fixing it.

Acer just announced a laptop with a 20.1 inch LCD screen. If they release a Tablet PC version of it, I just might give Tablet PC's another try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How is the accuracy compared to a tablet?

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow, TabletPC= awsome.. better get one of those IF they have
    pressure sens, instead of Cintiq, since this seems like a digital sketchbook to
    me... gotta save my money, and when I have, hopefully they have get
    down in prize, and they all have pressure sens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure that I'll have a tablet PC within the coming "10" years so I won't have to worry about such trivial things when I finally have money. ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blog
    Hello Dr ,

erm, well I wanna get my mits on a tablet PC just like the one you've got and I just wanted to ask you how good is it? Since you installed the driver what has the quality of the pressure sensitivity been, has there been any lag? What is the sceen quality like, does it get too hot? I don't know if you know who noxizmad is but he's an amazing artist and he's got one just like yours so I don't think it can be that bad then hehe! Would you reccommend it and do you think its worth the fairly large price?

A response would be verily grateful, have fun with ur toy!
    well i sold it cuz i needed more power for 3d stuff. i bought an acer travelmate c204. this is nice and has DVD-Drive as well. Pressure - well i dunno how the intuos3 or 4 (what's the latest?) works like but i would say it is alright. according to pressure settings you have to adjust it in PS or Painter to get it really precise (like some freaks need it). the standard settings are good.

The stylistic screen is damn good. no mirror-effects (the acer has it a bit). but it got hot. the acer just gets warm. i really got warm legs when i tried oiut the stylistic. when you are interested in Design i would say the stylistic looks much nicer. i really loved it and i am still not happy about giving it back - but hey - the CPU-power was so fuckin' slow. good for business work and sketching - not for 3dBenchmarks (05 Benchmark 142 Points - Acer ~2000)

according to prices - i bought a used Stylistic (used once on an exhibition) from fujitsu and saved s.th. about 400 Euros. The acer is more an alrounder (like a laptop) and has a keyboard as well. it is a bit thicker and heavyer than the stylistic. i am really looking forward to (really) sketch with it cuz it arrived 3 days ago and i am too busy to try it out at the moment. But as far as i tested it, it is a bit faster than the stylistic according to brushes in Photoshop. Painter should be faster they say. In a nutshell i like the idea of the stylistic. nice, flat, cool! But you should think about the type of work you are doing with a computer for such vast amount of money. that's why i - as a student with no high income - would say, the Acer Travelmate (or other PC's with more Laptop-like functions) would be the better investigation.

PS: The Travelmate needed this Wacom driver as well.

@ dfacto: The accuracy is alright after you calibrate the pen. It needed some time cuz from that angle of view it looked like the pen was in the middle of the calibration-cross but the pointer after the calibration was not. so - i ticked the panel a bit more left on the rightern side - now it's fantastic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have the older gateway tablet pc and it has a wacom board. i got it before last summer and with in a week i had the wacom drivers for pen sensivity. only prob i have with my tablet is that the screen sucks but thats just what i think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about oily fingers and smudging and stuff? How does it hold up? I thought about getting one, but they were too much at the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a Toshiba Satellite R15 penabled WACOM Tablet. This has pressure sensitivity.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about oily fingers and smudging and stuff?
    They definitely get fracking oily and whatnot, but this is alleviated with one of them screen protectors, from what I understand (I believe the one generally considered to be the best overall is the WriteShield one... or maybe it's WriteGuard... one of those). I usually carry around a cloth for cleaning eyeglasses, and that works nicely.

Pressure-wise, the digitisers typically have a quarter the pressure-sensitivity of the Intuos3 (256 vs 1024). Personally I don't notice much of a difference, since I used an Intuos1 for about 5 years before switching to my TPC (HP TC4200).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.