Reclining pregnant female - Need anatomy crits... or any crits at all, really :)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Reclining pregnant female - Need anatomy crits... or any crits at all, really :)

Hey all,

Here's a quick sketch I did last night of a reclining female. She's pregnant (if ya can't tell). I kept effing up on her left leg, and I got frustrated with erasing and redrawing constantly, so I decided to take it into photo-shop and push things around. I ended up with a couple edits that I like. Wanted to get peoples opinions before I put paint to canvas.

Original:

Edit 01:
    Popped up her right shoulder and lowered her left to give her some more weight. Brought her left leg down more. The drawing on the right is the same, but with some red lines to show her intended motion/weight.
    Reclining pregnant female - Need anatomy crits... or any crits at all, really :) Reclining pregnant female - Need anatomy crits... or any crits at all, really :)

Edit 02:
    I kind of took this in the opposite direction. Lowered her right shoulder and raised her left. I also gave her a little more of an "S" motion curve. Again I brought her left leg down, but this one is rotated differently. The drawing on the right is the same, but with some red lines to show her intended motion/weight.
    Reclining pregnant female - Need anatomy crits... or any crits at all, really :) Reclining pregnant female - Need anatomy crits... or any crits at all, really :)

So which one do you guys/gals like better? I can't quiet decide.

Any additional edits you would recommend?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda hard to give an anatomy critique on something that is cartoony and therefore not anatomically correct. In the same way that I can't give an anatomy critique on any sort of moderately stylized comic.

But first, fix her chin? Her head it tipping back, her chin wouldn't come down.

Also, the thigh/butt area is kind of massive, for such an otherwise tiny frame. If her arms are going to be that slim, being pregnant wouldn't blow up the rest of her, not to that degree.

I like the comfortable-position of the second one (1st of the 1st edit) and the calf + foot positioning of the very last two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, a bit tough to give proportion crits on cartoon stuffies because you can never tell what the artist intended to exaggerate!!!

Should have been more clear in my request. How about this:

Less about proportions, but more like... I want to make sure her limbs aren't in any positions where her arms would have to be broken or something silly like that. Also want to make sure all the muscle groups are represented in some sort of way, even though they may be exaggerated in proportions. Cartoon or no... if all her muscles are missing in one leg or if her arm is twisted like a pretzel, it's gonna look awkward... Unless she was a pretzel girl, that is

Cool. Never really payed close attention to her chin. I'll fiddle around with some. See what I can come up with.

Regardint the thigh/butt. I really wanted her to seem planted, so I exaggerated the thigh/butt, but maybe it's a bit too much. I'll mess around with that a bit as well.

Thanks for the feedback on the calf and foot positioning. I like that part of the edit as well.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is looking good, i can hardly wait to see it done!

Bovis est!

Leeroy (n.) - 1: One who does not grasp the concept of caution; 2: One who likes chicken; 3: One whose battle cry consists of their own name.

Sketchbook, click it or you'll hear from me 'till who laid the rails!

Members who have read this thread: 1