Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Tool fans? (the band)

hey everyone,

just wanted to put a line out there to see if anyone else loves tool's music like i do.
    i used to be REALLY into them when AEnima came out.
    i was just starting out in art school then i think.
    then i stopped listening to them because some of the lyrics bothered me as a Christian, but now i'm back lovin Lateralus and 10,000 days.

both those albums don't seem to have as much anti-Christian sentiments on them, which is nice for me. makes it easier to listen to.

i especially love the way their music is so dramatic and epic.
    not your standard rock/metal stuff.
    my fave on 10,000 days so far has got to be The Pot.
    sweet singing on that track in my opinion.
    very different for Maynard, who actually attended the art school i graduated from!

anyway, if you're a tool fan, post your comments/thought on them in this thread.

i know their music gives me alot of visual inspiration for my artwork.
    does it do the same for anyone else?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    of course tool fan, i especcially like their videos, it´s one of my favourite bands, but not the best because of this christ thing , wich had bothered me also. but anyways the singer there is also in " a perfect circle" i also think
    he´s the best singer i know. lateralus is best

i love the song AENIMA it´s godlike!!!!! i´m praying for rain, ... i wanna watch it all going down... i compare this song to the movie taxi driver and the city i live in.
    aviable for fulltime and freelance

http://alexpascenko.blogspot.de/

Thanks
    Yea....Tool is fucking awesome. I find more and more that Lateralus is my favorite album. I'm still pissed that on this leg of the tour, they wont be comning anywhere close to Atlanta....Once they get back from Europe, I hope they do another tour.
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    The Pot is an awesome track, probably my favourite off the new album, although all of them are great. Right In Two is another of my favourites.
    I enjoy all of their albums.

Thanks
    There are a few songs on the new album that while played simultaneously complete/fill each other, cant remember which ,but try googling it.

Thanks
    I wish Maynard would crank up the vocals though. I find myself often straining to hear what the hell he is saying. I know they do this on purpose so no single element is dominant, but man....what is he saying. The artwork and stereogrmas in the booklet are fucking awesome....definitely takes the cake for design
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether
    There are a few songs on the new album that while played simultaneously complete/fill each other, cant remember which ,but try googling it.
    Explained in more detail here.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost...5&postcount=68

Edit: I should add that I haven't a clue if this works or not, haven't tried it myself.
    Last edited by Flake; June 15th, 2006 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Flake: thanks for the link, I am gonna have to try that. Those tricky guys
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    that's an awesome link...

Thanks
    The grudge is probably one of my favorite songs of all time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    hoooly fuck i'll have to try playin the 3 songs simultaneously. sounds awesome.
    big fan here.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Wow, that's pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up, guys... didn't realise that worked!

Thanks
    damn, thats pretty fucking cool.

benzo and I had the opportunity to go see them play in Dallas. Was an awesome show. They opened with Rosetta Stoned, my favorite song off the album. The theater was 2300 capacity. A really intimate show. I was fortunate to be able to see them in such a setting. I cant wait until they come back around to the states.

If you guys already didnt know, if you play Intension backwards, you can hear some of maynard's hidden messages.

Thanks
    Hrm... 10,000 Days was a huge letdown for me, after the sheer brilliance of Aenima and Lateralus. mwillustration, what parts of Aenima bothered you as a Christian?
    My sketchbook Critical Feedback = Luv

Thanks
    I'm TOOL fan too I'm not that CGTalk thirdeye - just a coincidence. That's very interesting info and one of the reasons I love the band so much. All those hidden references.

I love 10000 Days a lot. It grew on me much faster than Lateralus.
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    hey ruzkin,

one of the things that bothered me after a while was the song eulogy on aenima.
    the lyrics sound like he's talking about Christ, but now when i read the lyrics and listen to it more closely, i don't think it's supposed to be about Jesus, but instead about some guy who tried to stand for something, like maybe a cult leader even or a leader that let him down.

some the lyrics though in that song like, "would you die for me? don't you step outta line, don't you f'ing lie" and "get off your f'ing cross, we need the f'ing space to nail the next fool martyr" were some that began to eat away at me.
    but like i said, i don't think the meaning of that song is that transparent now.
    i don't really think he's talking about Christ in that song, but it used to bug me alot.

Thanks
    hey oracrest,
    how do you get the song to play backwards?
    i'd like to check it out.
    can you do it in itunes?

Thanks
    i think i found a version that someone made of the song played backwards.... on a tool forum somewhere, www.toolnavy.com maybe...

Thanks
    damn,what program can i use to play all those three songs simultaneously?
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    I'm a bit of a fan of Tool. I'm going to see them in Osaka in August, and my user name kind of gives it away too.

Thanks
    Carnifex: Queue Viginti Tres and Wings for Marie in Winamp, and open 10,000 Days in Windows Media Player... that should work.
    Difficult to start them both at precisely the same time, but you can just quickly pause and un-pause the one that's slightly ahead.

Thanks
    has solved itself.
    thanks for the link oracrest.
    really cool.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    I'm (maybe) going to see them live. Will probably skip them for some food instead though. And if you want anti-christian songs, I strongly recommend all Dark Funerals stuff, love them!

Thanks
    thanks sarcophagus, but not really looking for that per se.
    but now i know to stay away from "Dark Funerals"

as for the opportunity to see them live, i highly recommend that!
    may be worth more than food for a day. (it's a close call)

Thanks
    I heard on the radio today that Maynard said that 10,000 Days is the last Tool album. Can anyone confirm this?
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    man i hope not!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nofingers
    I heard on the radio today that Maynard said that 10,000 Days is the last Tool album. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Well, if it is then the least he can do is get a Puscifer album finished..

Thanks
    Since 1993 From the angry self-righteousness of Opiate to the phenomenal poetry of 10 000 Days, I have had it as the background music of my life. Many art classes were passed with Undertow on the room's sole stereo (much to the chagrin of my classmates, but hey, I didn't see them bringing any tapes to school), and any album still brings me back to that mood. The end chant to Disgustipated was written like a border around the top of the walls in my room at my dad's place (along with a nearly-life sized drawing of Tank Girl). The album covers for Lateralus and [I]10 000 Days[I] got me into the extrodinarily talented Alex Grey, whose spritual anatomy I find beautiful and eerie. The depth of the lyrics, the mind-boggling talent of each member of the band, the layers of sound, I can't begin to describe exactly why I admire them so. I especially appreciate the references and allusions to many other works, concepts and ideas. The evolution you see and hear with each album speaks to the sensitivty, intelligence and personal efforts towards a spiritual goal (the lyrics to The Patient eloquently describe this) sometimes parallell my own throughts and experiences, which I think perhaps what has kept my usually flighty affections firmly attached.
    What I found lacking on 10 000 Days was the humour that pervaded some of their older albums. Disgustipated and Die Eier von Satan, while still wrly expressing some meaning, added a little levity, a little Discordia. I don't dislike it (I'm listening to it right now), but I thought a little balance in that area was the only missing element.
    Wow, what a ramble, I'll stop now. I only regret that I haven't had a chance to ever see them in person. I went past the venue once when A Perfect Circle was playing, and heard Reverand Maynard's awe-inspiring voice, but that's as close as I've gotten.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mwillustration
    hey ruzkin,

one of the things that bothered me after a while was the song eulogy on aenima.
    the lyrics sound like he's talking about Christ, but now when i read the lyrics and listen to it more closely, i don't think it's supposed to be about Jesus, but instead about some guy who tried to stand for something, like maybe a cult leader even or a leader that let him down.

some the lyrics though in that song like, "would you die for me? don't you step outta line, don't you f'ing lie" and "get off your f'ing cross, we need the f'ing space to nail the next fool martyr" were some that began to eat away at me.
    but like i said, i don't think the meaning of that song is that transparent now.
    i don't really think he's talking about Christ in that song, but it used to bug me alot.
    Well, they're not precisely pro-christianity (in general). In one opportunity Maynard explained that the lyrics of the A Perfect Circle song Judith are particularly about Baptists (apparently that community was a bitch to his mother), "fuck your god, your lord, your christ..."
    But Eulogy is about L. Ron Hubbard, founder and leader of the Scientology church, also mentioned in AEnima:
    "Fuck Ron L. Hubbard and
    Fuck all his clones.
    Fuck all these gun-toting
    Hip gangster wannabes."
    Finally, yes, based on interviews and articles that I've read, I think they criticize organized religion in its many forms.
    Just my point of view.

Thanks
    I really like the dark themes of a lot of tool's songs, especially of some of the more disturbing sounding songs like ticks and leeches, I liked tool better before lateralus but its still good and has the cool not really songs but the sorta intermissions like lost keys and faap de oiad which many bands don't really do, but Maynard is getting older now im suprised hes still doing it all

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast