Art: Gonk's journey into Black and White Photography. :X
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gonk's journey into Black and White Photography. :X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gonk's journey into Black and White Photography. :X

If you couldn't tell by my first topic, I'm trying to get better at the b/w photography. For the second semester at my school, I took an American Art History course, and I learned about all of these daguerreotype photographers during the Civil War, and it sparked my interest in the b/w photos.

Here is some of things that I've done so far, and any pointers would be appreciated.

I used alot of countrast in PS, because thats what I do.

(P.S, I hope I'm posting right, with the questions and everything, if not I'll post them in the right places if you could tell me where that is. Thanks!)

(P.S.S, Are the pictures to high res?)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My only crit at the moment is that the first pic is a too busy, I can't focus on anything when I look at it. On second thought, the third pic suffers from that too, though slightly, because the giant girl in the foreground commands interest. But then you got a polkadot pattern, which is a tad distracting, and some food, and a leg, and some guy with a camera(?). You see where I'm going with this? The second one works, at least composition-wise, because it is simple and traditional.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with eazym in that these need more of a focal point. The first one confuses me, my eyes are darting from the clock to the soda can and all over the place. It's not boring, it's just got too much to look at. The second one has less to look at, but it's not bad. I like the symmetry and the angle on it. It's simple, but nice. I'm not sure what the weather was like, but it looks like the sky was washed out with the high contrast. Maybe if you use a little less we could see some clouds or something, which might add some interest to the composition. The third one reminds me of the first one, but I like the focus on the girl in front. I'd just suggest maybe having her sit up and pose in a different way, try to shoot away from other things so that it's not distracting. Perhaps if you had more distance between her and everything else... there's just a little too much behind/around her that distracts me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i agree with what they both said, especially about the contrast in the second photo, it's very difficult to make out detail on the tower-y bits of it, particularly the left-hand one... but i do like the composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be taking them to heart next time I'm out with my camera. I think I need to learn how to look at my photos too, considering that everything that was pointed out I didn't even realize was there, such as the distraction with the dotted dress, and the clock and coke can.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.