Looking for advice for my future! please read
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for advice for my future! please read

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for advice for my future! please read

Hello, I really want to be a 2d conceptual artist for the video game industry. I am having trouble finding out what are the best classes to take in college. Do i need any computer experience to be a concept artist? Or just a lot of art background? Should i be able to use photoshop well, or programs like maya and 3D Studio Max? I want to have a very wide array of qualifications for this field. Not just the bare minimum. So I will be more likely to get the job over someone with less qualifications. I want to go the extra mile and I am willing to work extreemly hard. What do you suggest? I start college in the fall. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    qualifications mean shit in the industry.

have a bit of a search around, this has been asked a million times before and answered in depth.

edited for being a bit rude, sorry

Last edited by lysander; June 14th, 2006 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    go peruse the job posts in the paying jobs section to see what employers are looking for regarding computer skills. I'm talking the big serious jobs, like "Blizzard looking for concept artist" or "Rockstar Games hiring". They usually say things like "must be experienced in photoshop" and so on.

besdies that, yeah, go draw

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its always good to have qualifications in more than just one area...especially in the gaming industry computer skills are very important nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander
    stop asking questions. go draw.
    I think you could post some drawings your self for a change dude! Do you even draw at all? or do you just lurk around on these forums spreading negative comments?

-I shit on you

Anyway for Somefatkid: Scout out the schools first! See what kind of calibur work students turn out in the classes and see if you can see what instructors work is as well. Computer skills are a must but if you want to do 2d concept work you will need a strong foundation of traditional fine-art skills as well. I guess the more you know the better chances are in getting a job. But the big thing here is the quality of your work, they wont even look to see if you went to school or not.

Last edited by Kresh; June 14th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it seems its more prominent in our times, i think anyways, that people in the video game industry usually have a wide variety of stuff to do.
    the animator will design a creature, make a model of it, and even make a texture for it.
    so try to be proficient in everything lol. be good at drawing environments, vehicles, people, monsters, etc.
    most video game companies arent going to have you simply draw characters, they want people that can do it all. saves trouble for them and makes you more needed if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I really want to be a 2d conceptual artist for the video game industry. I am having trouble finding out what are the best classes to take in college. Do i need any computer experience to be a concept artist? Or just a lot of art background? Should i be able to use photoshop well, or programs like maya and 3D Studio Max? I want to have a very wide array of qualifications for this field. Not just the bare minimum. So I will be more likely to get the job over someone with less qualifications. I want to go the extra mile and I am willing to work extreemly hard. What do you suggest? I start college in the fall. Thanks for all of your feedback.
    SomefatKid,

You are starting right on time. Most people don't start pursuing this until later! As a concept artist, you must be highly proficient in figure drawing. So take tons of life drawing courses, draw people in magazines, and learn abotu anatomy. Learning photoshop and all the fancy computer stuff won't matter a lick if you can't draw and pose figures and create intriguing compsoition. So don't worry about painting and 3D stuff just yet. Life & figure drawing is the starting line.

Quote Originally Posted by s.s.nails
    it seems its more prominent in our times, i think anyways, that people in the video game industry usually have a wide variety of stuff to do.
    the animator will design a creature, make a model of it, and even make a texture for it.
    so try to be proficient in everything lol. be good at drawing environments, vehicles, people, monsters, etc.
    most video game companies arent going to have you simply draw characters, they want people that can do it all. saves trouble for them and makes you more needed if that makes sense.
    It is actually more specific. The animators don't desgin anything, that's up to the art director and concept artist. The modelers make the models, and there are different type of modelers: objects, egp (enviornment), and character. The modelers also texture their own models (in most cases), so they have to be quite skilled at texturing as well. The modelers (at least where I work) also rigg and bone their own objects & characters. The animators make all that stuff move.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.