Pixar
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pixar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Pixar

if anyones interested in 3d modeling or whatnot. pixar has "renderman" for maya up on their website for sale. almost $1000.00. good luck on that. pixar is amazing.
    But i saw the movie cars yesterday that they did. theyve come a long way, with graphics and whatnot. compare cars to the old toy story and youll see a huge improvement. whee for technology growing.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was fantastic. But not just the technology, but the storytelling. It was a wonderful development of characters. Some were just spice, like the VW van and the jeep. Others had moments of grandeur, like the Italian cars. Sure, all the Pixar films have great story, but there was something about Cars that makes it better than Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

The environments is the best of all Pixar films. You felt the difference leaving the city speedway to the southwest town of Radiator Springs, to the LA Collesium. And the sets within all that... wow. Sadly, the film hasn't earned as much as expected from what I read, and thats a darn shame

I was lucky enough to check out Pixar Studios and thats one hell of a place to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No way man, it was good, but nothing beats The Incredibles!

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredibles is da shit!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the movie was Boreing. I wanted to walk out half way through, and I usually really like Pixar movies. 'Cars' was technically there, and the enviroments were beautiful. But Cars? with Cartoony eyes and semi realistic bodies. It just doesn't seem to fit. And I hate Country Music.

You know what movie I can't wait to see?
    'Dark Crystal 2"
    director is 'Genndy Tartakovsky' The director and Creator of Samuria Jack.
    Maybe Frank Oz too, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by poise; June 14th, 2006 at 11:08 AM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Renderman is generally only capatible with Maya, so Pixar might disagree with that.

Least it's not compatible with 3D Studio Max.

Some info.
    https://renderman.pixar.com/products...binfopage.html

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also heard that pixar has its own " program" that not many know about. they create their own programs
    but yeah. cars was the best they had so far. i think. just the textures, sounds, landscapes, etc was phenominal.

Dutton Guest
    My feelings toward Pixar are that they need to move away from personifying things and creating an entire movie based on it. Toys, Bugs, Cars, Sushi.... it's getting to be a pretty tired formula. The Incredibles was an awesome break away from it and I wish they'd continue in that direction. Instead, they did Cars and I sincerely believe it was just so that the staff could walk around in cool pit crew jackets with CARS embroidered on their backs (living in Emeryville I had to see quite a bit of it).
    It'd be nice to see what they can do, taking a completely original idea and building it from the ground up. Think Miyazaki's Spirited Away, or My Neighbor Totoro. Can you imagine a Pixarified world resembling anything that man's ever come up with? Now that would be something.
    Anyway, this is all off topic, except that I thought I'd mention it while we're talking Pixar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of us went to see Cars in French (or Les Bagnoles) while we were in Montreal. Okay, so I'm a bit of a Pixar fanboy, but I totally loved it. I keep forgetting I only saw it in French. We really didn't miss any of the story at all, with the quality and clarity of Pixar's visual storytelling. I'm definitely going to see it again in English, just to catch some of the spoken jokes I missed.

It's no Incredibles, for sure, but I consider Incredibles one of the best animated movies of all time, so I really don't expect any movie to live up to that any time soon. It reminded me of Finding Nemo, in that I wasn't really interested in the premise, but ended up loving the hell out of it anyway.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeeeep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixar??, what that....ohhh you mean Disney Pixar!! ( ergo getting back into the old fixing yourself in an innnanimated object or an insect formula, they just sould their souls to the evil rat wizard....but I bet Cars was "nice")

Anyways, Shouldn´t this be in the movies subseccion?

Dutton Guest
    Well, the topic jumped all over the place in the original post, but since it starts off talking about the 3d rendering program, I'm sure this is an okay place for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yesh i suppose......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only 1000 bucks a license? I don't think that's not too bad for a name as big as renderman... of course, from what I hear of the renderer, you have to realllllly dive a lot into the tech in order to take full advantage of it... the price of a rendermonkey, or training some one, might be the real kicker.

shamagin - heh...disney may now own pixar, but in a way Pixar "bought disney for negative 7.4 billion". Part of the purchasing deal was that the PIXAR heads come over and run disney, or so I heard. So it's a weird takeover on Pixar's part. One of Lassater's first moves as the new headhoncho was to cancel toy Story 3, saying that if anyone was going to do it, it would be pixar and it wouldn't be a "disney sequel". Kudos to that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Odayga
    i also heard that pixar has its own " program" that not many know about. they create their own programs
    but yeah. cars was the best they had so far. i think. just the textures, sounds, landscapes, etc was phenominal.

thats not uncommon. Most bigger name companies had propietary tools that they use. Sometimes the bigger ones get modified for public purchase/release..like renderman for instance..or WETA's Massive, or more recently, WETA's soon-to-be-released Mudbox... now THERE's a cool tool...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah i see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixar and Disneys contract has been broken. theyre just realeasing all these movies that they finished. and/or started 5 or 6 years ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i believe thats old news... their contract was broken for about 2 years, while Pixar was wooed by other distributors. Then disney came around with the purchasing deal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixar's inhouse program is called Marionette, it's programmed and maintained by all their geeky programmer types in between staff parties and riding scooters down the hallways.

I agree with The Incredibles being a refreshing break from the old anthropomorphism, that was something I was wary with going in to see Cars. Their next movie is called Ratatouille (pronounced rat-a-too-ey) and it's due out like december next year iirc. There was a trailer before cars for it that you probably all saw anyway. Do you reckon this is a good direction or is Pixar taking one step forward and two steps back?

They should just get Brad Bird back and give him a pile of moneys! BRAD BIRD FOR PRESIDENT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh.... brad bird IS directing ratatouille...at least according to imdb.
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0382932/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dutton Guest
    WaronMars, totally off topic, but is your avatar based on a Banksy piece (see last image on that page)?
    The man's a pure genius. Perhaps Pixar should consider him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Renderman for Maya is total punishment. They forced us to use it last year for a rendering project at my college, and by the end my teachers were on the verge of tears. It's buggy as hell, the help docs button sends you to a damn message board, there's nothing it does that Mental Ray doesn't do better.

Pixar makes a wicked good story with wicked good animation and art and all that, and deserve the respect people give them. But considering they have an army of the most talented people in the world working for years with millions upon millions of dollars in their budget, their render quality is not that strong on a technical level.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutton
    WaronMars, totally off topic, but is your avatar based on a Banksy piece (see last image on that page)?
    The man's a pure genius. Perhaps Pixar should consider him.
    A stencil motion picture? Ay carumba!!

Members who have read this thread: 1