Detailing/Shading Question
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Detailing/Shading Question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Detailing/Shading Question

First of all... hi. Am new. And with that I bring a question! I can't figure out how to detail well in Photoshop - I checked out the digi painting thread, and while the advice there is great, I can't figure out how to add the little lines for the details without it looking unnatural.

For an example, the following pic, which is very comic book-ish style but:

http://www.dragonfood.net/rift/showdown.jpg

[NOT mine: full credit to Rift on kotorfanmedia.net]

If you look at the girl's clothes, you can see the texture-ish detailing in the two maroon and purple wraps that are under the breastplate - especially in the wrapped part. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get that effect - I've tried shading with low opacity/fill hard brushes, doing a few lines with really small brushes, blending with a really large brush... it may be basic, but nada.

For that matter, I can't seem to figure out the best way to shade either, but this is bugging me more right now. Any help would be much appreciated

I have PS CS2 and a mouse (yes yes, I know... )

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The detail in this case is in the linework, which is composed of lots of very closely spaced folds which have had barely any extra shading work (only in the addition of some hard low opacity shadows with a ~3px brush) after the colour has been laid down. You will see however that the artist has added some extra highlights with a 1 px brush, probably lighten, screen or colour dodge blending mode.

Don't worry, it's possible to do perfectly reasonable shading with a mouse. It just takes a long time and judicious smudging.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so you're saying the detail was coloured in before in say, different coloured pens or pencil? (or a coloured inking scheme in PS?)

And yes, I did notice the extra highlights. The 3px brush, I'm assuming would be the dark shadows going diagonally across the wraps?

Thanks for the response... and yeah, it's just a bit of a nightmare with the mouse!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -What I mean is that most of the shading effect evident there is the result of detailed linework, which may have been done in PS with a hard black brush or on paper and then scanned.

-Yes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 - right that was what I thought you meant

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.