View Poll Results: Vote for your fav regarding the topic!

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neorepto

4 4.55%
  • MasumiX

0 0%
  • Mighty5cent

2 2.27%
  • newmanhyde

0 0%
  • Tom Garden

2 2.27%
  • Goertz

2 2.27%
  • redehlert

1 1.14%
  • JakkaS

40 45.45%
  • kyi_72

3 3.41%
  • MIKECORRIERO

22 25.00%
  • Bruce Jensen

11 12.50%
  • Plate

1 1.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #048: Beauty And The Beast - VOTING!

Thanks
    you know, at the end it depends how you call it, because i don't have the double helix of this being or doing any autopsies (though this will be the next implementation in COW )...as stupid as it sounds, but if you called it a creature nor me or anyone else would have cried for it

I warn you though people, don't post daisies and call em creatures....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    not accepted entries:
    Eriboss and Telenaus

It's not written down in the rules, but coops are not allowed unless a special round will do it (and hell yes, this could be a good idea)...sorry mates, you should have kicked my balls when you had the chance in Prague, haha...
    PAH... Pah I say!

You suck.

hehe

Thanks
    Voted for Mike. I really like your palette, with that mother of pearl looking shine going on. And your textures rock as always.

Jakkas, your execution is amazing, but like Mike said, the presentation would be way more effective in 3/4 view. Looking into that gaping maw would be cool. It's a gorgeous piece.

Tom, I really like yours, too. This may just be personal preference, but I'm a little bothered by the way the bottom of the pic cuts off right at ground level. Because of the angle looking up, I know you wouldn't really see the ground, but I don't know, something about it... I like the pic, though. I feel sorry for the little beauty.

Thanks
    for me it was a hard tossup between kyi_72 and Neorepto, while perhapse the depth of their rendering isn't as "fantastic" or perhapse alien as they should be, the creature symbiosis seemed both plausible and yet alien, with the Beauty and beast being less traditional concepts that predominate the entries.

All in all the entries were all fantastic, I'll deffinately put much more effort in my next joining m(_ _)m

Thanks
    voted for Jakka.

the presentation looks so complete and effortless.

Seeing this drawing is just like surfing, when that guy paddles past me seemingly effortlessly, smiling even, while i'm getting slammed by waves, paddling my heart out and not moving forward at all.... yes, just like that.

Thanks
    Whoa! I got a vote! Thanks 2Medusa!
    Cheers,
    Dave
    There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    went for JakkaS. dunno why but now im really seeing those "Glishuks" wandering on the dark side. and thinking bout those "Coreillos", they r of realy beauties. love this piece so much.
    MIKECORRIERO, good as usual, just love ur style. but yeah, it's like after JakkaS's descrpition i found every creature living on the dark side...... and it'll be perfect if ticona is as beautiful as in the text, so wanna see the colors and light......
    good lord, last exam next monday and im free for everything! been so long time from last entry, though as lame as any one......

Thanks
    You're welcome, red! Lovely line work and shading on your entry, and the concept is a killer (hahahaha...I kill me). Great work.
    2medusa

Thanks
    The finalists on my list were JakkaS and MIKECORRIERO .

Both strong works, Mike's beast was more interesting and.. beastly but the beauty.... didn't find it quite beautiful enough....

Had to go with JakkaS since he head both a beastly beast and a pretty beauty

Many solid works all around.

Cheers!
    Will appreciate critique anywhere, anytime .
    My Ramblings

Thanks
    Voted for Jakkas. I love the concept, the design of both creatures, excellent presentation, and I really respect the fact that he improved it after being critiqued.
    Mike Corriero would have probably been my next choice, but it doesn't look as finished...I know you didn't have much time, Mike, and I feel like an idiot saying this anyway, because as unfinished as it is it still kicks any of my creatures' ass...
    Bruce, I love your piece too, especially the concept. It's original, and somehow melancholy. Beautiful colors, and execution. My only crit would be that both creatures feel a little stiff, slightly unnatural pose... but it's minor, and it doesn't make me love it less.
    Those were my top three. It was a great round, I wish I had had time to participate. Next time!

Thanks
    Neorepto: Nice concept. I like the angel tear illustrations best. The colors in the sky are a bit raw, maybe knock the yellow down some. The texture starts to get overwhelming in the branching portion of the seraph whale. It's your best entry as I recall it.

Mighty5cent; I enjoyed seeing your WIP. You're playing it straight, so it's pretty easy to offer up some suggestions. Your hi-lights look pasty. It's most evident in the branch and horns. Decide on a warm or cool light source and shift your colors accordingly. A little more gold in the hi-light colors would have made a world of difference. The anatomy is a little bulbous too. Some could be just taste, but the muscle attachments at the knee/elbow joints aren't convincing . It looks a little too much inspired by superhero anatomy. Not saying it is, just that it looks that way.

Tom Garden: The perspective cues in the beast don't quite match the background. He'd be more impressive if the same perspective used everywhere else were used on him.

Goertz. Great job with the anatomy on your beast. I preferred the pencil sketch. Your final got a bit blurry, but there's a nice drawing in there.

redehlert: (Thanks for the enthusiastic vote! I'm mixing personal work with COW. I'm not doing it as practice for work in the entertainment design field, so I know it's a bit off-center for this forum. While I'm not 'playing to win' it's really heart warming, and encouraging to see this stuff get a positive reception)
    On to yours: Nice pencils. If it were a painted, I'd like to see a watercolor approach that would preserve it some. The only suggestion is that I'd lower the POV- move the tail portion of the beast down to make him more imposing. Poor vain fish.

JakkaS; Really nice color palette. I like the generous use of grey. What I like most though is this odd character that you can inject your faces with at times. It's in this entry too. Rather surreal. BTW- I liked the eye you had in the 1st version better.
    Another vote for you!

MIKECORRIERO: Note my favorite of yours (but so what). Your firestarter and mover spoiled me. Not keen on the gross-out factor, but that's so personal. There's a good "I smell a victory" pun there if it should happen. Lovely colors- another nice use of grey, all done in the last few hours too.
    Last edited by Bruce Jensen; June 10th, 2006 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Neorepto: Your concept appealed to me the most, so you got my vote. Not the tightest render of the batch, but the beauty of the idea mad up for it.

MasumiX: Spend more time shaping the creature. You could have gone further with the design. Don't be afarid of shadowing.

Might5cent: Cool creature, and good render. BG and composition are static, and the difference male/female could have been bigger. Really like the head design.

newmanhyde: Freudian jokes aside, it ain't bad. Everything's rendered the same and your beast critter looks too much like an existing species, but still.
    I'dhave loved to see some, um, interaction between the two. : lewd grin :

Tom G.: Why the cut off man? I wanted to see more of your creatures.

Goertz: Beast is sick, beauty looks more like an afterthought. Wish it had a BG.

redehlert: Neat pencils, neat concept. I'd love to see this rendered in colour.
    The beauty's design is a little bland however.

Jakkas: I like the changes you made, really ties the whole thing together. Definitively worth voting for, good idea and execution as always, but neorepto's idea was better. Sorry man.

kyi_72: That's a twisted idea there, makes me shiver to think about it. Watch your shapes: your creature looks pressed-in.

Mike C.: Damn that's an ugly mother! Neat as ever, though the ugly one's kinda anthropomorphic and the pretty one could have had it's design pushed more into elegance, IMO. I wonder if you're gonna work on this more, cause right now i find it very charming, with your linework peeping through.

Bruce J.: Another close contestant for the vote. I love the "cute and cosmic" look and the extradimensional angle. Great lighting btw.

Plate: I knew someone would come up with that one. It's ok, but there's soem crits: first off, bad lighting. Tope side of the fishes should be e bunch brighter than the bottom side. Secon; loads of empty space. You could have doen with half the canvas, or at least a tighter composition.

Thanks
    Guys: Thanks for the votes and especially the crits. I need it. I'm glad though that the concept is reading in a nice way to people. It really went through an evolution as I worked on the piece, including the writing. At first the Angel's Tears we're going to be much more profound and weighty, something on the order of the Spice from Dune. But close to deadline time, I figured... why not just make the humans interested in them because they look pretty, like seashells... and then the whole thing clicked. Just a little bit of beauty on an otherwise inhospitable planet.

Bruce, you're right about the yellow. Someone needs to calibrate his at home monitor. I think its me.

Thanks again for the feedback, guys. I really feel like I wouldnt be as far along as I am without your help, whether its directed at me or just stuff I pick up from other's discussions.

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast