Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crit me hard, dudes - now with cool idea from Prometheus|ANJ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Crit me hard, dudes - now with cool idea from Prometheus|ANJ

Hi guys

So, I was contacted by one of the really really big companies asking me if I was interested in a Concept Artist position. In the end i didnt get the job - which was no surprise to me of course. I didnt expect it to go just that fast Seven months ago i didnt even know what the hell a wacom was (I used to be one of those silly abstract painteres, still is hehe). But still it was really nice being contacted by the big guns and a great drive. And it could be nice to do more than smalltime freelance stuff. But made me realize i have been too sloppy for too long and instead of pushing myself i have been digging down deeper into my comfortzone. Time to work for real, so i get the job next year (just kidding).
    If some of you guys have 5 minuts check out my site and give me some really hard crits. Any pointers to what its missing (pretty much everything other than monsters) and where i should make a real efford to improve would be damned appriciated!!! The harder the better - i can take it and it would be a great help.

Thanks dudes

Site
    Last edited by Fellah.; June 10th, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    well, I think that your figure work and monsters are pretty good, I think your good enough for now in those areas. What you are lacking are good environments, Tech stuff (vehicles, spacecraft, etc). I would also throw in a few sexy ladies in there somewhere, I don't think I saw any.

Speakin of which I need to do the same

Thanks
    Hi Simon. You know I love your work man, but I'll give you my two cents. Tyranx is bang on. I personally dont think theres enough enviro, industrial design. As I was looking at your site (again), I thought, if you were asked to design a futuristic landscape for a game, with characters, creatures, transports, how would you handle it? With the work I saw, I'm not sure it would be comfortable for you.
    You know you can do characters, creatures, maybe its time to focus on the other aspects of CA.
    You'll be ok man, its only a matter of time

Thanks
    Ditto on what everyone said.

Plus you could try to make it look more concepty, like more gun / weapon designs, as said before, more sexy ladies and more full body characters( human)

Good luck and congratulations on getting contacted for a big job....sorry you didn´t got it though, but is the fact that counts. I wonder why didn´t you got it....did they gave you any reasons?... I said this because if they contacted you, it was probably because they were looking for someone that could handle your subject of choice.

Thanks
    Well, your portfolio is very strong on the whole...

On top of what the guys here have already said, I might suggest getting some more precise, mainly linework sketches and designs in there. The majority of your work is heavily textural, and often quick loose and sketchy - I think it would benefit the diversity of your portfolio, and thus strengthen it, if you make some more solid, precise concepts (take a look at the stuff on Paul Richards' site for examples of what I mean).

Thanks
    wow... seeing all your good work collected feels good...
    I agree with everyone else in this thread. I think you could work on your human faces (the creatures are just fine) and your colors to push them outside of your comfort zone.
    ▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Hey, Simon!
    I always enjoy seeing your stuff, but I have to say that it seems quite niche right now. Just about all your work has a thick organic feel. And while that's good for a lot, making it universal is going to restrict your range. There's also the theory that by showing some contrast and tension, you can accentuate what you're trying to achieve. In this case, perhaps some hard, non-organic elements will make things seem even more fleshy and textural. The analogy would be the canvas which is entirely red doesn't seem as warm as the one with cool green splotches.

With regard to your website, when a new piece opens up and resizes the window, I have to hunt for the little thumbnails and figure out which one is next. If they were off to the side and didn't move when different sized art popped up, it would be far more convenient.

Cheers, brother!

Thanks
    maybe if you stopped sucking so goddamn much!!!!!

seriously though, you must be doing something right if they're contacting you instead of vice versa.

i'd say if you're working toward a videogame position you have to think in 3D. create a full head to toe concept of a character, do turnarounds and make them simple enough for the 3D guys to turn them into 3D models. do several like this.

other than that, focus on things that you see as your weaknesses. if you feel like you suck at perspective or mecha or what have you, focus on that. make them your bitch.

good luck Simon. hope great things come your way.

Thanks
    Ditto what MOP said.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GNL
    Ditto what MOP said.
    Thritto(?)

Thanks
    Quadtritto

I do admire your work as well Fellah. But I do see a problem down the line for you if you worked on another project for another company. Your stuff is too packed in on the same style, which isnt a bad thing, but not a good thing for copywrite infringments for companies you work/worked for. Everyone else made good points in doing different genres and I think this will help you achieve different looks and styles but still be Fellah! Plus i've always wanted to see what you would come up in the hardware genre of things.

Thanks
    i agree what other people said.Maybe work more on presentation for concept stuff, make turn around, ortho views, somethin gthat could actually be used by a modeller.You're stuff couldmake great illustrator, but maybe its too "abstract" and confused to make concept art.Just forget textures sometimes and just think simple shapes.Show people you can work simply yet in an ffective way.Do clean posh designy stuff, add differnt subjects, guys n gals, creatures and enviros, hi tech, fanatsy, and dark and light "mood".Keep it varied.
    Here's my 2 cents (ok, i ain't no expert, just doin what you asked )

ciao

Thanks
    Your Perfect.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast