Crit me hard, dudes - now with cool idea from Prometheus|ANJ

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crit me hard, dudes - now with cool idea from Prometheus|ANJ

Hi guys

So, I was contacted by one of the really really big companies asking me if I was interested in a Concept Artist position. In the end i didnt get the job - which was no surprise to me of course. I didnt expect it to go just that fast Seven months ago i didnt even know what the hell a wacom was (I used to be one of those silly abstract painteres, still is hehe). But still it was really nice being contacted by the big guns and a great drive. And it could be nice to do more than smalltime freelance stuff. But made me realize i have been too sloppy for too long and instead of pushing myself i have been digging down deeper into my comfortzone. Time to work for real, so i get the job next year (just kidding).
    If some of you guys have 5 minuts check out my site and give me some really hard crits. Any pointers to what its missing (pretty much everything other than monsters) and where i should make a real efford to improve would be damned appriciated!!! The harder the better - i can take it and it would be a great help.

Thanks dudes

Site

Last edited by Fellah.; June 10th, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I think that your figure work and monsters are pretty good, I think your good enough for now in those areas. What you are lacking are good environments, Tech stuff (vehicles, spacecraft, etc). I would also throw in a few sexy ladies in there somewhere, I don't think I saw any.

Speakin of which I need to do the same

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Simon. You know I love your work man, but I'll give you my two cents. Tyranx is bang on. I personally dont think theres enough enviro, industrial design. As I was looking at your site (again), I thought, if you were asked to design a futuristic landscape for a game, with characters, creatures, transports, how would you handle it? With the work I saw, I'm not sure it would be comfortable for you.
    You know you can do characters, creatures, maybe its time to focus on the other aspects of CA.
    You'll be ok man, its only a matter of time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto on what everyone said.

Plus you could try to make it look more concepty, like more gun / weapon designs, as said before, more sexy ladies and more full body characters( human)

Good luck and congratulations on getting contacted for a big job....sorry you didn´t got it though, but is the fact that counts. I wonder why didn´t you got it....did they gave you any reasons?... I said this because if they contacted you, it was probably because they were looking for someone that could handle your subject of choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, your portfolio is very strong on the whole...

On top of what the guys here have already said, I might suggest getting some more precise, mainly linework sketches and designs in there. The majority of your work is heavily textural, and often quick loose and sketchy - I think it would benefit the diversity of your portfolio, and thus strengthen it, if you make some more solid, precise concepts (take a look at the stuff on Paul Richards' site for examples of what I mean).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... seeing all your good work collected feels good...
    I agree with everyone else in this thread. I think you could work on your human faces (the creatures are just fine) and your colors to push them outside of your comfort zone.

▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Simon!
    I always enjoy seeing your stuff, but I have to say that it seems quite niche right now. Just about all your work has a thick organic feel. And while that's good for a lot, making it universal is going to restrict your range. There's also the theory that by showing some contrast and tension, you can accentuate what you're trying to achieve. In this case, perhaps some hard, non-organic elements will make things seem even more fleshy and textural. The analogy would be the canvas which is entirely red doesn't seem as warm as the one with cool green splotches.

With regard to your website, when a new piece opens up and resizes the window, I have to hunt for the little thumbnails and figure out which one is next. If they were off to the side and didn't move when different sized art popped up, it would be far more convenient.

Cheers, brother!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe if you stopped sucking so goddamn much!!!!!

seriously though, you must be doing something right if they're contacting you instead of vice versa.

i'd say if you're working toward a videogame position you have to think in 3D. create a full head to toe concept of a character, do turnarounds and make them simple enough for the 3D guys to turn them into 3D models. do several like this.

other than that, focus on things that you see as your weaknesses. if you feel like you suck at perspective or mecha or what have you, focus on that. make them your bitch.

good luck Simon. hope great things come your way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto what MOP said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GNL
    Ditto what MOP said.
    Thritto(?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quadtritto

I do admire your work as well Fellah. But I do see a problem down the line for you if you worked on another project for another company. Your stuff is too packed in on the same style, which isnt a bad thing, but not a good thing for copywrite infringments for companies you work/worked for. Everyone else made good points in doing different genres and I think this will help you achieve different looks and styles but still be Fellah! Plus i've always wanted to see what you would come up in the hardware genre of things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree what other people said.Maybe work more on presentation for concept stuff, make turn around, ortho views, somethin gthat could actually be used by a modeller.You're stuff couldmake great illustrator, but maybe its too "abstract" and confused to make concept art.Just forget textures sometimes and just think simple shapes.Show people you can work simply yet in an ffective way.Do clean posh designy stuff, add differnt subjects, guys n gals, creatures and enviros, hi tech, fanatsy, and dark and light "mood".Keep it varied.
    Here's my 2 cents (ok, i ain't no expert, just doin what you asked )

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your Perfect.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, I'm gonna crit you so hard.

Nah, maybe not. I think everybody else has pretty much said it. Just be sure not to lose the "style" you have. That's what makes your work distinct right now. When I see it, I know it's yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dutton Guest
    Everyone's pretty much said it, I just wanted to add a congrats on getting noticed and that it's only a matter of time before some company out there decides they can't live without ya. And with the way you crank out new stuff, I'd say that matter of time will be very short.
    Hope to hear even better news soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if this was already mentioned but you draw a lot of adults, I told you once in your sketchbook that drawing some younger characters might give you some variety but you half heartedly replied with a "thanks ill keep that in mind" attitude and i never saw you deliver. Not that this is a request just wanted to see some variety. I remember when i first saw your stuff i was amazed. Keep me and everyone else looking at your stuff suprised! Keep up the great work man.

[

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    simon. i think everything looks very good, but also quite similar. i cant see a whole lot of difference between the illustrations and the concepts (or the sketches for that matter). the concepts tend to look like more illustration work instead of concept work showing design variations, or showing a character set (a group of characters) designed for a particular story/context. turnarounds, variations, alternative sketches of the same character doing different things (working, walking on the street, fighting, taking a shower, having a cup of coffee) would be good i think.

i think more variety in process, style and yes, also subject matter would improve the incredible stuff you already have there. even if you dont want to do mech or environments, and want to do just characters, you should/could have more variety.

hot women (without vampire teeth), fat construction workers, a cute old guy, some kids, doggies and real world mean assholes - ala ususal suspects cast or something - maybe some asian, african characters, normal people but drawn with love so that we get to know them. (did i just forget to mention highschool girls?) anyway, even within character work you can go for more variety to show how you handle different scenarios and contexts you would have to design for.

im exaggerating a bit and might be completely wrong of course - but these are just some quick comments. you know i dig your style and linework and shit. i obviously dont think you wouldnt be able to do all that stuff right now. but that is how i would look into improving the portfolio if it were mine.

good luck and have fun man.

Last edited by tensai; June 10th, 2006 at 05:09 AM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw some of your own:
    Pokémon, Dragonball character, Gundam, Streetfighter, Tie-fighter, 'X'-wing, K-bots, Pneumatic construction site robots, Masterchief, battledroids, Strange tank classes belonging to a homogenous faction, Robocop's new antagonist, 30 typhical rpg enemies, dragon, mecha workshop interiour, Humorous fantasy setting bar brawl.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyranx - Thanks alot, yeah good inviros,Tech stuff and sexy ladies are lacking big time. It really is about time i started doing that. Id better go buy a ruler and some dirty magazines hehe. Thanks for the fast reply!

Kian - cheers bro! Futuristic landscapes and industrial design is something i havnt really worked with yet, i would feel pretty uncomfortable being asked to do one at the moment i admit. I really need to practice that - just needed to hear it. I always say to myself i have to get started on it, but then i start doodling an orc and get lost in it hehe. I love looking at those designs and scapes and im amazed at how dudes like you just crank them out and make it look so great. Study and practice. Cheers mate and thanks for the words!

Shamagim - cheers, man - yeah that is a thing i need to work on too- a more concepty look. A while ago i did notice than none (or very few) of my works has any real designs in them. It sure was nice to be contacted and my guess on why i didnt get it (I didnt ask, I just accepted it) would be lack of experience, skill and variety. Thanks, mate.

MoP - thanks man, i used to do more precise line work, but lately i have been a sucker for the loose and sketchy. But i see the point that it is a bad way of doing concept work. And man, you have no idea how happy you made me with that link. Damn, he is good and a killer inspiration. I would love to do stuff like that. Practice practice practice. Thanks alot!

Zaknafain - Yeah, more studying and working with color is a good idea. Thanks for the words! Cheers!

dogfood - thanks man, i can see that there is a risk of restricting my range with the way i work right now. A mix of organic and non-organic elements is a good idea to move further. Good words, man! Yeah, the thumbs is bugging the hell out of me too - i need to get that fixed soon.

AmishCommy - haha, just what i was thinking! Most of the work i get (both smalltime conceptstuff and my traditional paintings) is from people contacting me, so im a bit lucky there and i really suck at getting out looking for work. I need to work on that aswell. Turnarounds and 3D stuff is something i also really need to practice on - forcing myself to make full designs and plan them from the beginning. Its a good way to learn and will help get that concepty look that would be of use in other work. I have been avoiding my weaknesses for too long - no more Time to make them my bitch hehe. Cheers!

GNL & Asoir - Short and precise Cheers!

Kresh - thanks man, i see the point with doing things in the same style. Good for illustration work, but bad for concept work. And i need to do different genres for sure. (I know i still need to draw the robot you asked for, hehe).

TheGnoll - you might not be an expert, but those are an experts advice. Good words, man. Yeah i think a modeller would be confused with alot of my stuff. Thanks for the 2 cents, man!

poise - hehe

jfwalls - thanks man, i will keep my style but practice on making it work in different ways. Cheers!

sve - thanks

Dutton - thanks alot for the nice words, mate - really appriciate it! Keep doing your great stuff!

Taj - hehe i feel bad for not getting around to draw kids at the time. I didnt forget it though and i know my attitude was a bit shortminded. Sorry about that. Good thoughts - i should keep both those seeing my stuff and myself surprised! Point taken (finally ).

tensai - great c&c, man! I noticed a while ago that my stuff have a strange crossover with the resualt that none of it are real concepts or illustrations. Your comment helped alot! "hot women (without vampire teeth)" - haha, good one, man - made me laugh! Yeah, why do i always end up giving them scary features? I really should talk to somebody about that, hehe! You are bang on about this stuff and its very appriciated! Thanks alot, dude!

Prometheus|ANJ - thanks for dropping a line! Aside from a few aliens, Batman and Blueberry look-alikes i havnt really done any chars designed by others. I have always wanted to though. There is alot to learn from doing it i think, analysing why designs work the way they do. Thanks man - expect a Pokomon turning up soon

Thanks alot all - damn this place always amaze me I wasnt sure if it was a good idea making this thread - the risk of coming of as the whinning attention- i really am seemed a big high, hehe, but i have learned alot from reading your crits and it is very very appriciated! And the crits are hopefully a great help to anyone reading them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JustinBeckett - didnt see your post as i was relying, sorry. Yeah, lifedrawing is one of the things i never got around to do much of. Im really hoping to get that started soon. I love painting rockshapes, but in a folio 20 paintings of rocks is a bad idea hehe. Thanks for the nice words, man!

aesir - A thing i will be working on hard after reading all these great crits are just that; getting out of my comfort zone and adding diversity. I found a style or an approach faster than i thought i would and didnt really want to let it go again. I love working the way i do, but it is slowing my progress as an artist down more than it should. Cheers, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

Hi Simon,

Do you really want to do concept art ? Is it really made for you ?
    Do you want that job because of a personnal aspiration, or because it 's a "job-that-can't-be-refused-because-everybody-would-dream-to-get-it"?
    I'm just asking.
    Looking at your work, it reminds me this situation : Tim Burton and his gothic personnality trying to work for Disney at the early stage of his career... it just didn't fit.

If you didn't draw babes or enviro, there might be a reason that's not obligatorily lazyness.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fellah, im lovin your work dude. I don't really know what you can improve on, maybe do some more life drawings from the nude model. I didn't see many of those. As well work on some more enviro's, your enviro's are great, really great shape to them, really 3d. Work on different enviro's though, majority of them are just rocks. Add other elements into them. Try new stuff. I also agree though, your style is what keeps you different and original from everyone else. This is one of the main reasons i love your work. And i too, notice it as yours, with the style you have created.

Anyways, just have to say, i have never seen your site before, only some stuff in your sketchbook, and your work kicks ass! I love it. Totally booked it dude.

Good luck man. And oh yeah, try to get out of that comfortzone.

JB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hrmmm, well I know everyone is saying how they love your style (I do too), but its kinda as if someone had a portfolio with only anime characters. It'd be nice if you added some diversity to your work and experimented with other styles. As you said, youre staying firmly in your comfort zone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lord, I just went through your whole site; hadn't seen much of that wonderful shtuff. (logging it all away for future use)

I think, if being a concept artist is what you want, I think perhaps all you need is to show versatility; you have the technique down beautifully - show them that you can do anything and you're golden.

So to me, it seems more structures/buildings and tech/less organic stuff might help out. But hopefully you get hired for what you do best, fellah style.

Oh, and I hear people who hire concept artists love drawing tutorials... *hehe*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arctis - hi man, hehe - though one This whole missery started last year when i was growing tired with my traditional works (at the moment im doing pretty good with it and have lots of work to do), you could say my inner child wanting to draw scary monsters and stuff was suffering, hehe. So i wanted to let of steam and have fun for awhile. Bad move- i realized very quick that it was the kind of stuff i was meant to do. The trad work just dosnt make me happy in the same way. The good thing about the paintings is that im my own boss, but im a boss wanting to do other things.
    Im too old to want to do stuff just because other people would love to do it. The way i see it is i got 3 choises: Go back to only doing trad paintings, work with concepts and illustrations or do all of it at the same time, which is pretty impossible. I love when i see good concept work and allways think:"Man, i want to do that!", but i also know that what i end up doing is something very different from it. A dream would be doing long, dark, strange and violent graphic novels. But working with concepts attracts me alot - getting deep into a project like that and learn from it. It would be great not just blasting stuff out without giving it much thought - the way i do now, hehe. It might be right that maybe i wouldnt fit, but its worth a tryThanks for the words, man - and on the last comment: Im not gay, im not gay hehe

Idiot Apathy - thanks alot, man - good points. I hope to get noticed for what i like to do best, but if not doing all the other stuff(and my lack of skill of course) is keeping me way from getting work, there is only one way around it. Practice, practice, practice. hehe - drawing tutorial coming up soon, man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it was up to you to decide what to choose: doing illustration and comics strips in fantasy individual style or do a lot of concepts designs very fast, what would you choose? Imagine doing it every day, maybe the big part of your life, for very long, not having time for anything else, because the job is very demanding. What if the main requirement is readability and functionality. Do you feel yourself more like a designer or mood catcher.
    All this is really tough questions. It is actually syndrome of A+ student after graduation, he is good in everything, can go any way he wants. but there is something that is really his, he just has trouble to separate it from the desire to test himself in new challenging fields and prove that he can. The only way to get clear vision is time and trying to imagine doing it for life.

Last edited by sve; June 10th, 2006 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking a while ago that it could be cool with a permanent (no time limit) community activity to encourage artists to get broader and try new things. It could be a thread with some 10 very different tasks, and any participant should try to do all of them.

For example, one of the tasks could be:
    You're hired by some Disney-ish company to design a Tom&Jerry/roadrunner&wolfguy/'hunter&hunted' funny couple. For each character, produce a gesture/model sheet with one colored neutral pose, a few face expressison and body poses. (Here would be links to examples of sheets)

Then another task could be:
    You're living in the 16th century. A king has just comissioned a pinup painting to hang in his private quarters. The motif should be prominently displayinga nude-ish person with drapes & the usual shizzle. Rendering should be consistant with oldish art.

Maybe:
    You're hired to do five new Pokémons and a Pokémon Trainer (human kid mostly) for the next pokemon game. There should be three Pokémons and two 'evolves', like A1,A2,B1,B2,C. Naturally these illustrations should be consistant with the pokemon style (mono lines and cel colors).

How about:
    You're teleported into a paralell universe. It's 1978 and some dude is making an alien movie. Design a really scary alien, a very large mineral transport ship, a landing ship and an escape capsule. The alien has 3 forms, impregnator, baby and adult. You may not rip off Giger too much (but maybe a little bit) because that would collapse the very fabric of space and destroy the multiverse.

Other ideas are:
    You're Marko, draw 3 scrawny, scary people armed with like clubs, scythes or large... sharp... pointy teeth!
    You're doing environments for a space opera movie. Do concepts for: A fighter cockpit (pilot omitted), a battleship bridge (some crew for scale reference). Suitable style is perspective shots, lineart + greyscale (markers if you have).
    You're living in the 40's something and a very boring company have commissioned you to do a promotional poster. It should feature a happy perfect family in a kitchen and the marmelade product... made me think of Oh! Mikey
    You're hired by Bandai to do a typhical japanese super robot (humanoid) with a pilot (japanese style, bevels etc).
    You're hired by FASA to do a MechWarrior (usually just legs & body, with weapons and cockpit mounted on body) and a pilot.
    You're hired to do environments for a fantasy RPG. They need some angled-topdown concepts in color: Capital city, Ruined city in the forest, and the inn (no people). They also need a finished ground level background (think kusanagi).

...and maybe some more stuff.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1