Thanks

Questions about concept art

So im just curious:

I consider myself an artist, i dabble in drawing, painting, photography, digital art, etc. and have been considering conept art as something to pursue should i go off to college.

Im very impressed with what i see from concept artists and would like to be able to create art of such a calibur, but from where i am right now it seems like a giant leap.

So here are the questions:
    About how much/what kind of schooling do most concept artists go through?

What's the market demand for concept artists (im not to interested in the green, just gotta make ends meet)?

What sort of dedication and skills are required (IE, how does it compare to other artforms)?

What sort of people make good concept artists?

Thanks for the noob help!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey Siegecow,

Post some of your stuff up in the sketchbook thread, that way we can gauge your skill level and we could all give you much better advice.

The most important thing in my opinion is that you have to have a passion to do art, all you need from there is lots and lots of practice to get to where you want to go.

Thanks
    1. For schooling, it depends entirely on the person. There are hugely skilled and successful concept artists who dropped out of school at 16-18, and then there are those with Bachelor's degrees in Fine Art.

2. Market demand is fairly limited. A lot of companies (movies/videogames) have small, dedicated teams of concept artists, while others outsource to individuals. It can be quite a hard market to break into, unless you're on top of your game.

3. You need a whole lot of dedication. Concept artists need to be skilled at inventing, designing, communicating ideas. They need to understand numerous things like clothing, architecture, vehicle design, anatomy (of humans and other animals), and generally every aspect of whatever they've been tasked to create. Compared to other artforms, I'd say it's pretty damn hard work to get to a good standing in relation to other existing concept artists.

4. People who love art, and have interesting and original ideas. People who draw, paint and think up designs every single day.

5. No problem

Thanks
    All these answers are here on the site. Explore. I promise you'll have fun.

-Joshua

Thanks
    How does outsourcing work, MoP? Is it hire per hour? Per sketch? Per design?