Tom Garden throwing in "Last COW Standing" idea
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom Garden throwing in "Last COW Standing" idea

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tom Garden throwing in "Last COW Standing" idea

Tom Garden suggested an idea for COW, i opened this thread over here, so everyone can comment (originally it was posted in the topic ideas thread, but a communication over there would mess the thread up )

Tom Garden:

" COW Last man Standing

So i'd like to announce the possability of a last man standing competition for C.O.W which, with permission of Fozz, i'm quite happy sorting out and monitoring...unless you want to do it Fozz, then by all means do

I picture this kind of competition to go alongside the weekly C.O.W chellenges - as of course, we want to keep the flow going and not miss out on the brilliant creatures from people who get knocked out in the rounds.

Maybe we should call it, Last COW standing? perhaps? Well - anyways thats the whole point of this topic and the one posted in the COW group

I thought if we run it in the same way the last man works...

- get a list of 50-100 entrants
    - divide by random selection into groups of, i think 3-4 - this way the first run of it wont last as long, and we get more range in the vote offs!!!
    - Have weekly deadlines for each C.O.W until the quarter to semi finals, which i think would be great to give our artists 1 &1/2 or 2 weeks time to get some REALLY speacial work done
    - Possible prize - no idea what, maybe a king crown icon?

I hope this all works well and we get a lot of people interested!

Everyone post your thoughts and crits on the idea, is it good bad, what can we improve?!

If everyone is on board i'm planning on kicking this of around the end of june 25th onwards - no reason but that gives us plenty of time to get the thoughts ironed out and enough people interested to sign up

Righto everyone.....comment away!"

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds pretty neat, but it would have to be a meaty briefing, ie there'd have to be enough conditions. For example, use of a background is obligatory, use of orthos too. Maybe we can do something in the lines of the conceptart cohesion thread we did a while ago, only bigger. come to think of it, that would be the final test, if you had to succeed across all disciplines. I don't know, just spamming it from the top of my brain now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whatever you come up with at the end...i would suggest to wait at least until round 1 of LMS is done (09th July)...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the Concept Art Cohesion thing was pretty cool. Maybe do something along these lines;

Last COW Standing

- 1 Month/ 4 Cows
    - Lets say we get 100 entrants (dunno if we will get that many)

This is just an example:

Week 1 - VidaNova Genetic Troop Transport.
    - 4 Way Battles, Only 25 make it out alive.

Week 2 - VidaNova Recon & Survaillence Creature.
    - 3 Way Battles/one 4 way, 8 survivors

Week 3 - VidaNova Heavy Lifter Creature
    - 2 Way Battles, 4 survivors

Week 4 - VidaNova Mining worm
    - 4 Way Dukeout, 1 Ultimate COW champion.

Maybe 1 month would be too short, I dunno maybe make it 2 months with 2 weeks per COW?
    Just throwin some ideas out there.

Last edited by Tyranx; June 8th, 2006 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idea, I'd be down.

Yes'd

+1 brainstorming:
    2 months seems like a long time for a creature design. Sounds more like a whole scene design, in which case it may benefit from a brief that has a scenario to depict as well. Alternatively, maybe contestants could illustrate a few different aspects of the creature's lifestyle (eating, hunting, gettin jiggy, etc.... Maybe not the last part).

Last edited by Simon Boxer; June 8th, 2006 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyranx, I like your idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whatever it will be...we won't make anything with long time spans for the entries...i experienced over the years that 1 week is enough to do a proper artwork...you work maximum about 10 hours on an image, and people watching and participating lose their attention and interest.

Also the general tension is decreasing if you don't have it in mind...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a great idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally thin kthis would disrupt the COWs and maybe interupt the current LMS, but I suppose people in the current LMS could just not enter this one. I don't see how this is really any different than the COW really, just more people. Why not just focus efforts on getting more entrants in the cow? Since basically the COW is like the last round of an LMS anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes Mike, thats the idea.... plus there is a huge list of people who didnt get into the LMS who are probably good COW's

Tyranx, thats the right kinda plan - with the whole vidanova theme....what is that? sorry i dont know, do you mean a unified design throughout the comp?

And i think for a starter doing this for 1 month would be really good, to test out how well it works..

Also yeh, postponing it till after the character of the week round too. And if people are up for the LMS we can juggle whos fighting and when.

To make this very different from the weekly COW's is i think as walnut said - to have well briefed topic ideas, such as a creature that is actively doing something, so its not just a standard pose with it just standing. ie...
    A collossal transport creature, rears up against its tamers

Gives us the added extra of some environment and movement with the COW.

btw - thankyou everyone for liking the idea! i'm very very pleased its gone down well with you guys, i'm kinda new to it all so i'm happy its looking like a great fun challenge!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i propose a rather different idea.

let's give this a run of 8 weeks -> 1 COW per week.
    entrants -> as many as there are willing. anyone that misses any 1 submission is disqualified.

the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds, everyone takes part. a panel of judges will award points based on a set of criteria, each round is worth 10 points, 3 rounds = 30. you need a minimum of 20? points to continue on to the 4th round.

4th & 5th.
    requirements will be tougher for this. each round is worth 25, so a total of 50. with more points = more criterias that have to be fulfilled. you need 35-40 points to go the next stage.

6th & 7th.
    depending on number of remaining survivors, only 3 members can clear this round. say if there're less than 5 particpants, we don't need the 8th week. winner can be decided here.

8th.
    3 way battle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think that starts to get over complicated and rely on many people for the voting....plus i feel the polls are fairer way of deciding.

This idea is good - but maybe not for the first session perhaps?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a feeling we will get 100!!!

Official sign up with be soon, when the idea of it all is set out straight, i'm going to write a full brief of the idea this weekend for everyone to have a look at, and we can all crit it and sort out the best for this genre of competition!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like an enjoyable variation of the COW competitions. I would participate. It sounds like fun. Do you really think we can find 100 potential participants for the beginning? There only seem to be about 20+ that enter COW any given week...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with ah.heng in that every participant has to to stick it out to the bitter end, though i'm not too keen on the points system (but yes on the jury system). It's either in or out for my part. I'm also in favour of all the briefings being under one cohesive theme, doesn't have to be the VidaNova one but it's possible. Maybe do some brainstorming on what everybody's cool with? It doesn't have to happen right now, what with the LMS and all. But anyway, i'd definitely be in. Smart thinking Mr. Garden!
    Btw, if you let the sign up time last long enough i'm sure we'll get 100 participants. Think about it: there may be about twenty contestants every round, but if you count everyone who's been in over the whole range you've got a bunch of people. Just saying y'know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh exactly....we have as neo said - 20 or so regulars, and then a lot more who view and vote, and also we have another 10-20 people who will ocasionally join in.

Walnut, could you explain the cohesive theme - sorry is it like having a genre of sci fi set for the WHOLE competition?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by scumgrinder
    I'm in!
    I am glad to see you here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool idea. I'd suggest you wait until after the LMSTD deadline to start this up, as a massive number of people are going to be looking for an activity when they get knocked out of the dome. I wish I could get in on this, but a creature a week is too much with my workload right now. Ah shit, maybe. We'll see.

Tom, are you the one that is going to be organizing this? Keep in mind the downtime you'll have waiting for the votes to come in. Poll votes are ok, but unfortunately it might come down to people voting for friends instead of the piece that deserves the win.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a cool idea for a set up...I'd personally probably not participate in a month of vida Nove weeklies....as many of you know tech is very difficult for me and Im not too excited about it.

The rest of the idea is cool though
    chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to do this. Only caveat is going to be planned summer vacation.... Do you all take one? lol That might be the only reason I don't do this. I missed the sign-up for LMSTD- so this would be a welcome way to take on one of these tournaments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poll votes are ok, but unfortunately it might come down to people voting for friends instead of the piece that deserves the win.
    heheh MAN how true is that

yes, i think i'll try and organise it with permission of Fozzybar. I will also participate, just got to! but yeh, maybe judges would be better, hmn - but who would judge do you recon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranx
    I think the Concept Art Cohesion thing was pretty cool. Maybe do something along these lines;

Last COW Standing

- 1 Month/ 4 Cows
    - Lets say we get 100 entrants (dunno if we will get that many)

This is just an example:

Week 1 - VidaNova Genetic Troop Transport.
    - 4 Way Battles, Only 25 make it out alive.

Week 2 - VidaNova Recon & Survaillence Creature.
    - 3 Way Battles/one 4 way, 8 survivors

Week 3 - VidaNova Heavy Lifter Creature
    - 2 Way Battles, 4 survivors

Week 4 - VidaNova Mining worm
    - 4 Way Dukeout, 1 Ultimate COW champion.

Maybe 1 month would be too short, I dunno maybe make it 2 months with 2 weeks per COW?
    Just throwin some ideas out there.

GOOD idea

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Tom Garden]I got a feeling we will get 100!!!QUOTE]

I would definitly try to make the cut! CA still intimidates the crap out of me every time I post anything, but I love a challenge! And that's one more from the observers/very occasional participants category of possible entrants.

And thanks Tom for taking the time to crit my piece in last week's COW. That meant the world. Your crit was exactly what I had asked for help on, too.

But mostly thanks for volunteering to organize this challenge!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to put in two cents worth...

If the Last Cow is weekly, and the Cow is simultaneously weekly, you may get an unexpected result--fewer people overall in ALL the competitions. To the good side, you will get people in the Last Cow who normally don't enter the Cow on a weekly basis. So...how about the Last Cow be in 2 week blocks as mentioned above by somebody. I like the idea of the unified theme, and I like the idea of the stages, but think it should be over a two week period for each piece.

To explain why I'm in favor of extending instead of condensing, I'll give you a worst case scenario...

ME.

In the last 15 days, I started and nearly finished more art for the competitions than I was actually able to post. I just had to drop the Heaven Environment piece this morning because I couldn't make the deadline. Reason? I have too many things stealing 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there, and pretty soon, I've just wasted between five and 15 hours on an illustration for here that i can't enter. Now before you say this happens to everybody once in a while, here's the RINGER...

I..DO...NOT "GO"...TO..."WORK"...FOR...A...LIVING,
    ...I...DO...NOT...GO...TO...SCHOOL,
    AND...I...DO...NOT LEAVE...THE...HOUSE/STUDIO...EVER...
    BECAUSE...I...DON'T...DRIVE...

Think about that...

If I have trouble doing this, does it seem sensible to the rest of you to accept that most people here will run out of time even more often then I would?

Fozzy's right, approximately 10 hours is a good piece of time to throw at one these events, but keep in mind that many here work 40-70 hours a week, attend school, and have family problems to cope with. Throw in traveling time, eating, cooking, and takin' a decent crap at least once a week, and you're hosed...

My conclusion--you will lose participants in the other events if you make everything in Last Cow one week. Too much "drain" competition...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All Actually all I wanted was a one time, TD LMS, all of us who didn't get our act together competing...withthe samr topic as LMS, to earn a spot in the second round.
    I neither really need nor want another weekly. in fact I can enter as many as Id like, 3CH has maxed me out
    cause as Ilaekae said, this is the busy season for me (designer for three theater shows in production) I work till 2am most nights as it is.

but luck being with me.. Im 2 away from the top of the list there anyway....
    must go paint...
    anyway
    more thinking
    chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perhaps suspend our regular COW for the first week in favor of a LMS 'COW'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this sounds like a good idea, however it gets worked out. I'd be in.

I do agree with Ilaekae though, I have recently been starting too many things and not being able to finish. I started a decent COW this week, but ran out of time. Hopefully I finish the EOW tonight. The good news is my current classes will be over by the time this probably starts, so if I do this activity and no others I should be ok. Bottom line if I sign up I won't flake. If I survive, well that is another story, lol.

By the way Mike C., I am routing for you in the LMS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.