Bodies Exhibition
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bodies Exhibition

So I came back from a trip to Manhattan and was fortunate enough to get to check out the bodies exhibition that they have there now.

Very awesome. It definetly wasnt as "creepy" as I thought it would be. Presented very professionally, and it definetly took an educational angle to the whole thing. Anyone who gets a chance should really check it out. My favorite display they had were a muscular system leaning backwards, holding onto a skeletal system leaning the other way, balancing each other. The best part was that both the bones and the tissue came from the same person.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...i had no idea this was going on. I'm going to look into going this weekend hopefully.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a cool show, VERY educational and fascinating.

Funny, though, I had the exact opposite feeling. I had a very caviler attitude when I walked in but got a bit creeped out once there...creeped out and mesmerized. No text book could be so mesmerizing.

I have only one complaint. You'll notice that there are only two women bodies in the whole exhibit. The first, after at least half the show gives by, is to display fat, the second is to display reproduction. No women were used to display the skeletal system, muscles, respitory system, etc...Just fat and sex.

Still....everyone in the area should check it out...And that goes double for smokers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't find any info on how long the exhibit will be, is it year round or just for a few weeks/months?

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm, though interesting, there is too much questionable things going on around the Inventor (and his company) of this method of preservation.

I don't know how it is in the states, but here in germany there was a pretty big scandal, because "getting" the bodies wasnt so voulunatrily in some cases, and disregarding human rights.....

another funny thing, a Girl I went to artschool with was friends with his Daughter in Kindergarden.... at one birthday they played hide&seek in the entire house INCLUDING the lab in the basement. Only many years later did she find out what was in the large metal tanks all over the place...... yikes!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

Nicolas - I was wondering about that...but I didn't research it. I had heard that a lot of them came from China...Not sure if that's true, but it seemed possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i went to see the exhibition too, when i was about 11 or 12. Back then there were a lot of scandals about the whole deal, but they had lists too, and you could sign up for being plastinated...

this looked pretty impressive in life size...:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I commented to a friend of mine that I was surprised there were no animal bodies....But then I thought that a US audience would get much more up in arms about animals being plastized than humans!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went there when i was 15 or 16...cant remember...but rumours said that the passed werent asked before their death if they want their body plastinated and even some wilder stuff like bodies were literaly "stolen" but heck , i wouldnt give much for that

...it looked so awesome..i really liked the chess-player but i was really spooked o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

A Clarification

Bodies: the Exhibiton, which is in NY now, is unconnected (except for the plastination process) to the original German Body Worlds, which toured the US last year. Different people, different content, different mad scientist.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0l]Bodies: the Exhibiton, which is in NY now, is unconnected (except for the plastination process) to the original Body Worlds, which toured the US last year. Different people, different content, different mad scientist.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that, but it makes sense. This was more of a science exhibit while I had thought it was to be more of an art thing. I wish I caught the other as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i´ve seen it in germany 1 year ago, the animals were awesomem but there was a dead corpse with a basketball playing, that was ill but anyways interesting most of them where russians that have smoked to much.damn

aviable for fulltime and freelance

http://alexpascenko.blogspot.de/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Bodies: the Exhibiton, which is in NY now, is unconnected (except for the plastination process) to the original German Body Worlds, which toured the US last year. Different people, different content, different mad scientist.

aaaah, ok Elwell. Good to know. well, scrap what I said then =)

Irene, yes china. The Show I meant apparently got some of the Bodies from Death senteced and thus executed prisoners. Which if that isnt bad enough, without their consent. The Government just "handed" them over.... for money obviously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man....I feel bummed now since I posted about this a few weeks ago but noone bothered to reply....oh well, no since in being sad. I've gone to the one here in atlanta, and it is quite impressive. Very professional. There were a lot more men than women, but certainly more than two woman bodies. I heard that they are dead homeless people from china.....thats just what I heard.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oohh! Well, since I can't make it to Montreal, I might as well do one fun thing this June!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know which one I missed here in Philly (due to totally not going durring the five months or so it was just across town from me) but I think NY if far enough away to make sure I see this one

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.