Thanks

Lightbulb Eliminating the spam

I don't know if this idea has been mentioned, or if it may be in effect already.

But, maybe new user accounts could have a delay on their ability to post. For example, a new user signs up and cannot post for 24 to 48 hours. That might help to get rid of all of this spam we've been seeing.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'll go for that magicgoo
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    nice idea, simple but could work pretty well.

Thanks
    CG Talk has it set up similar to that... your first 2 or 3 posts are postponed between 12-24 hours until a moderator can approve them. I'm sure setting a feature like this up is NOT easy, plus, you have to find more mods to filter them.

Though, I would love to see something like this implemented, the amount of spam and crap posts recently has been rather high.

Thanks
    Yeah, it would be hard to sift through posts individually, Romance. But I don't think it would be hard to delay them. Like, once you sign up and try to post, it says "You cannot post for another 24 hours" or something like that.

That will also force certain newbies to not jump onto the forum and respond to a thread with something really dumb. They'll have 24 hours to think about what they say.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    This could work but it could also end up in being annoying to new members that have respectful intends <_< ...but on the other hand it would get rid of those advertisment-spams and desperate emo-kiddie users ("I cant draw ! Help me to become the next Shirow Masamune (sp?)"). Maybe it would be interesting to test such a system for about a month and than decide if we really need it or not
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    This has been suggested before but I can see how it could seriousely turn off any new members, it would totally suck. However. And heres an idea I dont think CA uses it. Most spammers im assuming are bots of some sort? Alot of sign up systems have it set so that you have to type in some code that you see on an image that is obscured by lines or something, as a safe guard. Its used so often that i suspect it must work to some extent, and i dont think ca is using it but im about to go check in a second. Another might be to have that system on the first 3 posts? I mean if someone really wants to spam there is nothing stopping them

Edit: screw it ca uses it. maybe on the new posts, the thing is if that already isnt dettering signups i doubt it will deter a serious spammer. The thing is we might be pushing away valuable new users with making them wait 24 hours, how about a 3 hour waiting period or something? But thats still and incredible inconvinience and doesnt really stop anyone either.

I thinka post approval system would be far more effective, and i know for a fact there are tons of people here who would be willing to help sift through something like that, but it means delving deep into forum code. Or keyword filtering but even that wont work properly and ban all kinds of posts that dont need banning. All the post checkers dont even need to be mods or anything, but if you think about it how is that any diffrent from deleting it from the lounge?

Hell sites like digg.com havent found a proper solution to the spam problem and they fight it every day, they still havent come up with it and they have dedicated employees working on it constantly.
    Last edited by Red_Rook; June 6th, 2006 at 03:27 PM.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    I dont think that waiting a little while on the first three posts is such a big deal....I would do it....anyone who is serious about art would certainly do it i think
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I would prefer as little get in the way of people's participation here as possible, even if the price is spammers and the occasional DA invasion. I try to stay on top of nuking the spam in the areas where I mod, and reporting it in areas where i don't. For those who don't know, the best thing to do about a spam post is to hit the exclamation point at the top right of the post and report it to that section's mods. It will be gone before you know it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I dont remember if we also need to verify our e-mail adress before being able to post things on the board but it would help a little

Or even better, new members would only be allowed to create a new thread after posting 10 comments or after a week

but Hyver did something the other day, he changed the spam message into something funny and closed the thread right away
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by corky13
    ... desperate emo-kiddie users ("I cant draw ! Help me to become the next Shirow Masamune (sp?)")....

I think you're overestimating them even knowing about Ghost in the Shell at all. I think that might actually be an insult to Ghost in the Shell...

I can guarantee you that half the people who watch it don't even /get/ the damn show - let alone the Manga. Haha!

Ok, sorry, I'm just a little defensive about that show. It's my absolute favorite.. and I'm a 33 year old mother of 3... so nyah
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Runecaster
    I think you're overestimating them even knowing about Ghost in the Shell at all. I think that might actually be an insult to Ghost in the Shell...

I can guarantee you that half the people who watch it don't even /get/ the damn show - let alone the Manga. Haha!

Ok, sorry, I'm just a little defensive about that show. It's my absolute favorite.. and I'm a 33 year old mother of 3... so nyah
    Uhhh...damn you`re right...sorry for insulting Shirow`s great work...i should have written something like Yu-Gi-Oh instead
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    I would prefer as little get in the way of people's participation here as possible, even if the price is spammers and the occasional DA invasion. I try to stay on top of nuking the spam in the areas where I mod, and reporting it in areas where i don't. For those who don't know, the best thing to do about a spam post is to hit the exclamation point at the top right of the post and report it to that section's mods. It will be gone before you know it.

What Elwell said about covers it. The average life expectancy of most spam is about 15 minutes its gone pretty damn quick, i try to stay ontop of it as much as I can along with any other mod and admin and i think they are doing a damn fine job. It feels like spam comes in waves and currently its flooding in but from all corners, people from isreal people from the uk etc etc there is no one source or one stopping force, we just have to deal with it as it comes.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Thanks
    Only if you have 25+ posts can you start a new thread.

I think thats a better idea.

The 24 hour delay will discourage people from using this site

Thanks
    the 25 post (or whatever) thing would eliminate someone coming in and offering a job as their first post. Not something to discourage. I've also seen some incredible art show up as peoples first posts.

Thanks
    Denart - 25 is a lot for someone new who doesnt really know the people and what is accepted or frowned upon... everytime I joined a new forum, it took me longer to get to the first 25 then the last 50 I posted

I proposed 10 earlier but then again, at 25 posts, it would stop a lot of "check my DA account" or "how do I post pictures" type of people

Craig_D yeah, didnt think about that one... and I have to say the moderators show no mercy anyway !
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Also, spammers would then just post replies in somone else's thead, which is even more disruptive. A lot of spam we've been getting lately isn't meant to generate click-throughs. What they are is messages full of links mean to pump up a site's Google rankings.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottendegenerate
    Denart - 25 is a lot for someone new who doesnt really know the people and what is accepted or frowned upon... everytime I joined a new forum, it took me longer to get to the first 25 then the last 50 I posted

I proposed 10 earlier but then again, at 25 posts, it would stop a lot of "check my DA account" or "how do I post pictures" type of people
    sorry, didnt read your reply. heh
    10's good

Thanks
    I think I figured out our problem

Lounge - Post introductions, Talk with friends, ask general queries, anything goes
    Maybe not say that anything goes....
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    dude these people post in all the forums, any spam is against the rules, you have to read it when you sign up, so breaking the rules aint an issue
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I'm thinking the primary benefit of delaying the first post for a few days WOULD allow the new poster time to learn how to read...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    I think the fact that you're all worried and thinking about the fact that some data is annoying you is perhaps the exact time you need to open the door and step outside.....

or just get some damn art done
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by romance
    plus, you have to find more mods to filter them.
    *raises hand*
    Come on, I'm the goddamn cartoonfox! I've been here forever! ;p

See you soon Romance

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    For those who don't know, the best thing to do about a spam post is to hit the exclamation point at the top right of the post and report it to that section's mods. It will be gone before you know it.
    i didn't know that.cool.
    thanx for the info.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Ya know whats rrrreally funny? Is that DateStrategus is still looking round the Lounge at this moment and I've deleted his crappy 'I can get you dates' thread and told him to get a life.

Unfortunately Spam is a part of our online lives. Find a cure, and it creates a resistance...

The sad bastards...

Thanks
    I know people would hate this idea...but the guys at something awful delt with this problem pretty nicely. Charge a one time fee of $10 in order to register. Or hell even charging $1 for registration would elimate 90% of all spamming assrags.

Hell I would pay it gladly.
    Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    You would ? well i wouldnt if i didnt knew this place before...and i guess many users are the same way...(let aside that some banks charge a extra-fee for transfering money from outside to the U.S.A.)

Many respectable people would decide to post their work elswere...eatpoo , cgtalk or (worst-case-scenario) deviant-art instead in the sacred halls of conceptart.org

CA is for free and i really hope it stays that way
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Ya know whats rrrreally funny? Is that DateStrategus is still looking round the Lounge at this moment and I've deleted his crappy 'I can get you dates' thread and told him to get a life.
    Don't you guys *ban* the spammers after you delete their threads? That's what I do... That cuts down their crap considerably...

Loves to Mollers, of course

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.