Thanks

resizing the image

Hey, can anyone give insight on image sizing and resizing. Alot of tutorials on concept art have a time when the artist has got the bulk of the composition down and is about to go into detail - but before they do they resize the image to 300 ppi/dpi.

My dilemma is I always resize my images to 300ppi/dpi and around 24 x 36. Yeah. I do 24 x 36 because I don't know what the final use of the image will be. I have actually printed posters at 24 x 36 and with digital art becoming more popular I may want to make gallery prints later.

My question ... Finally... is it nessesary for me to go so big? is there a standard size that most Digi - artists use? Or can I start at 300 dpi with a smaller frame size and scale the final image later without pixelation?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Your enemy is not pixellation but interpolation. Most graphics software will deal with filling in the blank space created by upsizing an image by interpolating with bilinear or bicubic filtering. This means that whilst your image is essentially intact, the upscaled version is bigger but blurrier when viewed at the same dpi/ppi, i.e. the same device or medium at 100% resolution. Depending on how brutally you resize this can be hardly noticable or it can be severe. You may need to touch up edges and such that have been noticably disrupted by filtering. But I am rambling.

A lot of artists will work at very high res because decreasing the image size afterwards cleans up a lot of the fine detail. At any rate for final presentation, 72 ppi is generally accepted as fine for monitor display, whilst printed media is generally expected to be around 300 dpi. Dpi derives a relationship between the expected physical dimensions of your image in a particular medium and the size of your image in discreet pixels. So as long as the image is the right size for your for the expected medium (given its dpi) all shall be peachy.

Thanks
    If this is an actual assignment, the client should have given you the dimensions and the resolution before you started working on thye final. If the client neglegts to give you this information don't assume anything. ASK.

If you are doing the piece as a personal sample for your portfolio (the kind you carry around), work at a size that will show the work in its best light at between 150 - 300 ppi. You can always rez down and resize a copy of the piece for your online portfolio.

As Snarfevs pointed out, with raster images you will always get better results reducing resolution than increasing it.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    remeber though... If you make this really nice painting thats only for screen use, think about the printed portfolio as well. You don't want it to look like crap printed because you only have screen-res.

I'm so happy that my new comp manage to work in print size without that much of a hassle
    My work as a tattooer www.gallontattoos.wordpress.com