Thanks

Computer Troubles..

I just recently got a new computer case (Rosewill R7229K) and I am trying to reinstall everything..

At first it turned on when i plugged in first the hard drive, power button cables, power supply and connected the ide cables, the basic stuff that will show me if the power buttons work.... so far so good right?

I then tried to hook everything up as it was before i replaced the computer tower (It was still working before the new case, but was overheating, thats why i replaced it). Now what happens is that the computer turns on right when i plug in the cord to the power supply, without me turning on the power button.. the led's light up, the fans turn on, but nothing loads, its like the computer is shut down without the rest of the hardware shutting off...

anyone know what's wrong?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ok here's some more info:

Tried some more stuff, I think it has to be something with the motherboard, but im still not ruling out the video card.. I changed video cards to my old one, it lit the green LED under my screen but still cant see anything.. maybe the monitor got jacked up or something? i dunno

Thanks
    Maybe the CPU is fried...happened to me with last computer....But my advice is :

Don´t guess what´s wrong, call techinical support or something, is the innevitable conclusion to this kind of problems.

Thanks
    sounds like an annoying problem - but doesnt sound serious.

Loop man have u tried posting this on a tech forum? might get better advice there?

I had bother like this when I built my first computer years ago.... expensive way to learn.

good luck.

g

Thanks
    yeah im gonna hafta call someone soon, this sucks, i was hoping to work on my stuff before the workshop, now i cant till i fix this.. tried a computer help forum but they didnt help too much.. i'll call Chaintech tomorrow.. thanks for tryin to help anyway guys..

Thanks
    maybe you moved or touched some of the RAM memory slots, maybe that causes your monitor doesn't turn on.
    Try to look for that.

Thanks
    i dunno, i tried taking em out and putting em back in, no change

Thanks
    OK, basics first, I'm on messenger as jfeldmesser@voila.fr and I can probably talk you through a re-load on your PC. I built several and know a lot about this kind of problem. When you turn on the power you should get a single beep from the BIOS before your PC tries to load your operating system. If there's no beep, your motherboard is suspect, but not necessaraily dead. Buzz me on Messenger and I'll happily go over it.
    http://eurogallery.aic-club.com

Thanks
    Yeah looks like your MB is suspect. It could be something on the MB or just simply the bios battery. This is my PCs boot sequence - it may differ from PC to PC. (I think mine is using the phoenix bios).

Power on
    Fan and lights come on
    GPU test - GPU make and RAM will appear
    CPU test
    RAM speed check
    Bios sequence
    OS selection
    OS loading
    XP log in.

A stall at any stage is a sign of problems for certain components. Don't want to sound pessimistic, but be prepared to spend money in the worst case scenario.

@ Sham: There's no tech support for DIY LOL
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Yeah, I got similar symptoms when I fried a Processor. If you pull your heatsink off there should be a sticker on the proc, if you can see through the sticker (or it is blank) it means you've fried it and need a replacement. You should also make sure you have the right heatsink too if that is the case.
    [Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Yeah, try switching the ram first before you go screwing around with your motherboard. Im assuming you bought it used and theirs no warranty of any kind right? You might void it if you go messing around with it too much. Motherboard sounds suspect definatly.

Thanks
    all the parts for it worked fine before, its just after i took it apart to put it in the new case that it doesnt wanna work.. it actually used to beep before, right before i had this problem.. i proceeded to put everything back in its place, everythings back in, and now it does what it does.... theres no damage to the porcessor though. i checed, had my brother double-check

jeremusic - yeah no beep... are you on yahoo messenger or msn messenger?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    it's usually a good idea to reset cmos, if you remember all your bios settings that is. so it's just the basic components right? MB, cpu, a stick of ram.. video card and a HDD... u should def hear the beep though..

Thanks
    yeah i reset the cmos, that made it at least able to turn on, at first it wasnt doing that... yeah i got mobo, cpu, 2 ram sticks, video card, hdd, dvd-rom, also got a wireless network card and soundblaster card.. all of it's worked fine since ive owned it..

Thanks
    My experiences are you can't do nothing until you check the BIOS first.

Have you accessed the BIOS at least?
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider
    My experiences are you can't do nothing until you check the BIOS first.

Have you accessed the BIOS at least?

No, I cant even acess the BIOS.. i tried holding down [delete], like the manual says.. nothing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    main loop, take out everything except for cpu, mb, a stick of ram, vid card & hdd. Even though they worked before they aren't liking each other now so try running it with the least component possible. In order to get into BIOS you gotta hear the beeeeeeep. Most of the time, if your vid card, cpu or RAM is stuffed you get a beep code telling you what's stuffing up the system. But since you are not even hearing these I think it could be a small thing you have overlooked, something shorting out like the motherboard and case install bit or your motherboard has gone haywired.... either way, try it out with minimum stuff, and if that's not doing it, take it out of the case even and try it out..

Thanks
    bumskee, I tried all those things before, tried em again.. still no luck..

its starting to look to me liek the motherboard's toast... arrrr at least i'll have a few extra dollars from some sold paintings in case i need to get a new one..

Thanks
    Did you happen to change the voltage switch on the back of your power supply?

Make sure all your case power cables are hooked-up to the right connections of your mobo as well.

Thanks
    I suggest a Windows OS reinstall, not a clean install just a system write over to keep all your files. Program files will no longer be linked to OS, so you'll have to reinstall program files, but all your files will still be there like PSD, PDF, JPG and whatever final project files you want to keep.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    romance, tried switching voltage.. didnt work.. all the power cables are hooked up right..

noserider - if i could even get that far, i might... i cant even get to the screen that shows the specs to my machine..

Thanks
    WE HAVE A WINNER

bad cpu..

my friend hooked me up with a replacement... phew glad thats over..