Thanks

Finding a decent sketchbook. Recommendations?

Sometimes we can buy a sketchbook only to regret the quality of the paper a few pages down the line or find an excellent tool to add to our artistic arsenal. Everyone has there own method while drawing in their sketchbook but if anybody could share some their good and bad finds that would be great. Basically what sketchbook makes you feel at home drawing?

I'm also curious about longevity of the typical sketchbook by company or series that would be great. Thanks

Aarron Brothers spiral Sketchbook(so-so),
    -Thick stuff, can draw/watercolor on both sides and won't show much through.
    -Visible markings after erasing pencil work...even from 4 feet away.
    -Retards pencil/watercolor a bit, building of tones...gets metallic looking.
    -Hard to do cross-hatching

Utrecht Sketchbook(okay)
    -Watercolor bleeds like crazy on this paper.
    -Noticeable markings after erasing pencil work.
    -Retards pencil work a bit.

Canson Field Sketch Spiral(good)
    -Can take a few passes of watercolor before color bleeds through.
    -Easier to scan drawings, However spiral pages tend to bloat a bit.
    -Can erase with more confidence with less visible markings after erasing.
    -Blending stump is decent on this paper.
    Last edited by Brian Luk; June 11th, 2006 at 03:43 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Lightbulb re:

I heard something interesting. Vipplu would bind his own sketch book using a ring system and can insert different drawing papers if desired. Barron Storey would sometimes buy a larger sketch book than needed and so he could saw the book in half to get two sketchbooks. There is a rumor circulating at the Art Academy that Jason Chan uses a brand of paper called "Whoop-Ass," this yet to be confirmed by local authorities.

Thanks
    Yeah, that's great and all about the sketchbook analysis. But I doubt it's the sketchbook that effects the quality of work drawn into the pages of it.

Thanks
    I was thinking about this today, now i come home and see this thread ... funny
    Vipplu would bind his own sketch book using a ring system and can insert different drawing papers if desired.
    I'd very much like something like this. I was outside for a walk and i thought about how fun it would be to sit down and sketch ppl, but i dislike doing that in a real sketchbook bc they are so friggin expensive. If i go through the book in 30 sec. sketches i've got it filled up after a couple of hours, thats not exactly economical.
    So a "blanco" book where you can insert cheap paper and maybe some more expensive pages for longer sketches is what i want. For cheap, if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks

re:

ParkerD, I see what you mean by the sketchbook analysis, it's really more so on the individual's ability. Tools can only amplify what's already there?

Sometimes the materials can effect the outcome of the work. Long renderings on newprint tend to look more overworked than it really is because of the quality of paper fibers start to give. I heard some people prefer to paint on illustration board/masonite than canvas because the smooth surface can pack in more details. I think DSillustrations does this.

John, if you are interested here is the unique binding system vipplu uses. http://www.rollabind.com/ Check out ebay for rollabind venders too.

I heard if you buy paper by the rolls it's much cheaper. Fri's Electronics sometimes has 99cents sale on laser print paper with 500 sheets. You can rubber cement the sides for a quick book or place them in a binder.

For free "all you can eat" visit a local college at the placement test centers. They generally have a huge stack of scrap paper for the test takers. You can go to their recycling bin and get your body weight in paper if you really wanted. Happy hunting.

Thanks
    I hate spiral bound sketchbooks. The spirals always seem to get in the way some how. I prefer ones that are bound like a book. Then when they are full I can label the side with the date I started and ended, and place it neatly on a bookshelf with the rest. Out of the book bound ones, my favorite was one I found with perforated pages for easy removal. This was nice if I had to scan an image that went all the way to the inner edge of the paper. Then, I take the loose pages and put them in a binder. Just my 2 cents.

Dutton Guest
    I stopped sticking to any one sketchbook because it really limits me and I don't like my materials to work against me. Since I'm always bouncing around formats and mediums, I carry a sketchbox with several types of paper inside, all cut 9x12 or smaller. A pad of drafting vellum if I want to work a fully rendered sketch. Very heavy watercolour stock (almost as thick as illustration board) if I want to do a watercolor/gouache study the box is fully equipped with painting supplies). For simple pen doodles that I don't want to waste expensive paper on, I carry a small Moleskine.

Thanks
    Ditto with the Moleskin...It's soooo nice to draw on.

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up on the rollabind, PigeonKill (now there's an interesting Nickname). I'll see if i can get something from ebay. I usually get paper in rolls. It's a bit of extra work, but it's the cheapest paper you can get here in germany.

Thanks
    The rollabind thing looks interesting, but I haven't been able to find much information in the way of its durability, in terms of how well it holds on to the paper, and how well paper holds up, given the nature of the "binding". Any experiences/thoughts on that?