Total newbie needs crits
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Total newbie needs crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Total newbie needs crits

Hi guys,
    Well, i've decided to take the plunge...
    I've been sculpting for a while, and decided i needed to "upgrade" my drawing skills to be able to get more accurate concepts before starting a sculpt.
    Anyway, i've been having this mental picture i've wanted to put to paper for a while, and now i needs some professional crits...
    So, here goes :

Things i know are off: the sword needs -a lot- of work
    the anatomy doesn't seem correct for some reason, but i can't figure out what it is.. think the left shoulder (our left) is too big anyway..

Oh yeah, and do any of you guys have any hints on how to detail the feathers? Shadows / lighting etc?
    Greetz
    Sven.

Last edited by ScuD; June 2nd, 2006 at 12:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might suggest resizing the image a bit. It's tough to take it all in when it's so big.

The reptile head is actually the most visually appealing part of this, in my opinion. As far as anatomy, I'm still on the "sucky" end, but I can offer these tips:

-The waist is too small for the upper body. He'd snap in two.
    -Arms tend to be more structurally complex, even in preliminary stages. I always suggest a google image search for body builders, when drawing muscular dudes.
    -If he's that big, his calves should be ginormous. A lot of weight to tote around.
    -Forearms are a bit long for the upper arms.
    -Study hands and fists.
    -Google search bird wings.

Very promising concept. I look forward to an update!

Last edited by ThatsNotPoetry; June 3rd, 2006 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, i've resized it a bit
    Thanks for the crits EffingAmazing!
    This is why i love the crits you guys give, i can be staring at the thing for hours and not know what's missing, and you guys go "this and this and that", and suddenly it all seems so obvious

I think i'm gonna redo this guy from scratch, as you said the proportions are too off to go the eraser way.

I'm not too sure how to "complete" the reptile though, seems to me like the guy's leg is stuck somewhere in it's neck as well..
    Anyway, i'll post an update when i've got one

/edit: quick question though, what are your backgrounds? Did most of you go to art school or did you all have this natural talent? :d
    /offtopic: sorry if my english isn't too great, i'm dutch...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey a nice start. A good idea to sketch a scultpture before you start it. I commend you on your desire to improve. You have a decent composition going on there, are you planning on using the creatures skull as a base?, or is there going to be more of the piece (ie creature's body, whatever?).
    If you are planning on using it as a base, you may want to make it (lizard's head) a bit larger and center it more squarely underneath the figure.
    EA's crits are right about the anatomy so I won't comment on that, one thing that may help is to do the gesture or (stickman) sketch to get the basic idea of the guy before you start drawing in his actual form. Consult any basic drawing book for learning how to do this. Keep posting your progress and welcome to the fourm.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.