Sketchbook: Landel's Sketchbook. Dedication? Time will tell...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Landel's Sketchbook. Dedication? Time will tell...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Landel's Sketchbook. Dedication? Time will tell...

Hi guys, been lurking around for a while. I've been so impressed, motivated and inspired by all the great sketchbooks here that I sat my ass down to draw every day for the last half month or so.

I'm currently finishing my honours (last!) year in mechanical engineering, but I'd very much rather draw for a living. I have another two months of holidays left, let's hope I keep drawing till then.

Friday, 2nd June, 2006

Leaving the first post image free so it's easier to edit.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started a thread in another forum, so I'm transferring the info here, for archiving purposes.

17 May 2006
    Background and perspective. No rulers. The colouring sucks, I know.

From a bridal magazine.

From Salaryman. Clothes and folds practice.

18 May 2006
    More for the day. I succeeded in making her really ugly... yeuck. I hate anything with shading...

19 May 2006
    A bit of hair practice, from Ayami Kojima. And some folds practice from a photo off the web. Folds from photos are hard... how does Salaryman do it?

20 May 2006

21 May 2006
    Life drawing!

After a bit of practices I tried drawing some clothing folds on my own. No reference. Ended up looking like Yagami Raito from Deathnote, so I guess you could call this fanart.

Trying to learn shading and values. Hmm... doesn't seem very good.

22 May 2006
    Feet practice from a chinese anatomy book. And a figure sketch from memory. Supposed to be fast but it took quite a while.

24 May 2006
    Not much for today. Spent most of my time admiring other artists' work. Gosh, I have such a long way to go...

25 May 2006
    Tried some fanart of Remy in the morning. It came out horrible. Might try to rework it some other time. Yeah it's horrible but I'm just posting it for completeness' sake. Got sick of it so I stopped.

And the thumb before it

More feet practices from Bridgeman at night

26 May 2006
    Bought a Pilot Gtec today to try sketching in pen. Trying to get used to it, so I just did some random doodles. Pen really shows line quality... I find a faster, confident stroke produces a nicer line with a pen. A really slow stroke can still work with a pencil, but not a pen...

Some hands on the second page were done without erasing, and give a decent comparison. I think they're slightly better, perhaps something to do with the way the pencil is held. The pen can't be slanted too much and must be help upright nearer the tip. Nothing decent worth posting... a bit frustrating.

About 3 hours' worth here.

27 May 2006
    Just a small page for today. Really really happy today, I got excellent results for my exams, and I managed to buy a couple things I've been looking out for. One being a Croquis sketchbook for rakugaki! And another being this insanely detailed hardcover anatomy book which shows origins and insertions of muscles! Finally! Been looking for a more indepth anatomy book for a while and it only cost (my dad) 57 bucks!

Here's a sample study to show what I mean on the new sketchbook. As you go along, these will be really great to learn how muscles overlap and interact with each other.

The humerus in most of these ill-proportioned drawings should be longer.

28 May 2006
    All right! Today's life drawing was excellent! 15 minute poses each, except for the last one, which was about 30 mins? It was an eurasian model with extremely sharp and beautiful features. All of us tried to draw her face but couldn't do her justice... argh! I also really liked her ribcage and belly... such nice curves! I personally like the 3rd (brush pen) and 4th sketch the most. Posted in chronological order. Pencil was blunt on the last one and it came out really bad.

And some more studies from the chinese anatomy book...

29 May 2006
    Just something quick before sleeping. It's hard to twist your hand to get this pose to draw, so I decided to draw this when I saw it.

Some Flash animator from DA.

30 May 2006
    More fold studies from Salaryman.

31 May 2006
    Warm up study from the chinese anatomy book

Today's sketch is something original. I did peep at some reference for the glutes, foot and the bat wings. Just a bit. Supposed to be a speed challenge, but I took about 2.5 hours (I think) because I wanted it to look slightly nicer... It's a succubus in case you can't tell.

Was also playing with sculpey at a friend's place yesterday. Just having fun. Didn't have time to finish it properly. Unfinished torso.

1 June 2006
    Sun is coming up soon, so couldn't draw much. Foot studies that became a refresher for leg anatomy. My knowledge is still (pretty) good. Note to self: Work on line quality!

In case anyone wants to know, the terms are:
    Sartorius
    Tensor Fasciae Latae
    Gluteus Medius / Maximus
    Adductor(s) (Magnus)
    Rectus Femoris
    Vastus Medialis (Internus)
    Vastus Lateralis (Externus)
    Biceps Femoris (part of hamstring; back of leg)
    Gastrocnemius
    Soleus
    Extensor Digitorum Longus

Femur
    Great Trochanter of Femur
    Epicondyles of Femur
    Patella
    Tibia (forms medial ankle bone)
    Fibula (forms lateral/external ankle bone)

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, finally got that out of the way. Now I can start posting proper. For today... I really suck at drawing necks... so... practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has the makings of a damn fine sb, Landel.

Your life studies are very strong and the ref'd anatomy studies are great...

As for refrencing that chap salaryman's work (ahem!), well I make mistakes so be careful not to dwell too much on how I do things. As far as capturing how cloth looks and feels the only way is to look at cloth -I would go to life classes if the models were dressed Studying why other artists make certain choices is always fascinating, but making our own choices, for better or worse is the path we must all take.

Great work Landel, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really have much critique to give. I think you've got a good solid start on this SB
    The only thing that bothers me is that you've chosen a very high quality for your .jpg's which results in big filesizes (200kb for a 700x700pixle image is way too much when it's just a scetch). You could easily get filesizes of 50kb with medium quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINALLY! sombody who understands the flexability of the torso!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    salaryman: Goodness gracious me! I never expected the immortal salaryman to grace my sketchbook with his presence! Deeply honoured and humbled. (The very first reply, no less.) It certainly is motivating! I can't see any mistakes in your work... but I'll definitely keep your comments in mind. In fact, started practicing folds from photos today. Thanks for commenting! Really appreciate it!

scrawneh: A "good solid start" really sounds encouraging. I'll do my best! And you are totally right, I'll reduce the file sizes asap. I just got used to saving in quality 10 for finished work and it carried over.

BONKANAILIOS Hmm... If you're talking about the Remy pic, that was totally overdone. I had many crits saying it was too exaggerated. Well, at least I tried, for what it's worth.

And some stuff for today. Shoulder reviews from various sources, and folds practice, this time from photos (following salaryman's advice).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing for today. Wouldn't mind critiques for this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to study a bit of dynamic posing and various movements using thumbnails. Trying to loosen up a bit with gestures. Referenced off Rock from Garou Mark of the Wolves. It even works as a gif! This is really fun, I'll definitely do more of these studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting this SB rock solid. Keep the pictures coming. I would be interested in seeing something closer finished in this thread aswell, just to see how far you can go with detail.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord Blue: Thanks for the lovely comments. As for (more) finished pictures, you can check out my dA gallery. I'm having lots of trouble drawing from "imagination", especially in regards to adding detail. So I'll just take Mentler's advice and draw the prerequisite couple thousand pictures first.

More animation! Wahaha... fun fun! Some size issues involved, as can be seen in the gif. If you get the size of the head wrong, the body will be wrong too. It was quite hard because I was drawing slightly smaller than the pics. Really threw me off. Ref'd from Kaede of Last Blade 2. Also, the timing is off because I neglected some (very similar) effects frames.

I didn't learn as much from this as the previous one, because the animation is weak. Little anticipation, less frames, no overshoot, and poor follow through. I think the most interesting thing in this one is when he holds the sword with two hands, then lets go of one hand for a wider swing.

You can easily see the superior animation of Garou when compared to this.

Still in the midst of Japanese exams so not much for today...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finally, finally bought my own copics. C1, C3, C5 and C7. (Cool gray). I was finding it very very hard to draw from photo, so I decided to lower the level a bit and draw from Loomis' sketches. The values are simplified a bit more, so it helps. Yes, I totally screwed up the lips. Getting details with copics are quite hard; should draw bigger next time. The copics are actually in anticipation for the next life drawing, since they are a fast medium. I hope to put in some shading.

I was also finding it very difficult to get different gradations from just a 2B pencil, hence the switch to something with varying tones. Hopefully work on values first, then the technical skill later.

Not entirely happy with this, but I think I'll improve with practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my stuff for the day... I gotta do more faces like Gabo... Getting the likeness is really tough, and I seem to have failed miserably.

Last edited by Landel; June 8th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is all great stuff! I really like the clarity you have in your lines - I will be looking through your stuff again sometime as it is really inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apocalypse_Rex: Thanks man! I hope I'll still be drawing when you do come back... haha. Don't think my stuff is actually inspiring though. Not yet anyway. Check out any of the 5 star threads here, you'll see what I mean.

More heads from photos. My line quality becomes really bad when I do heads... I wonder why.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing for today. Tried a bit of values... but I really suck. Will have to practice more. Mostly 15 minute poses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Landel! I don't have much to say, just a great start. As for values, I'll qoute Mentler (Not exactly, but as well as I can remember) "Remember that shadow is not something to depict, but something to depict with." Remember your lightsource and how it falls on your object. Look at things in life and see how light affects them. Your value is good, but just practice. Keep it up, you'll go places!

Edit- What's the name of that chinese anatomy book?

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Misc studies from various sources. Some KChen stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some photoref practice. The centerline of her face is definitely off...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Currently studying "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. Seems interesting. Did some upside-down drawing practices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very solid studies landel! I'll be sure to check back here often.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive stuff, ive had that drawing on the right side of the brain for a while and when reading through it it makes me feel REALLY inferior which has detered me from doing stuff in there, theres some good exercises though. I dunno what it is, i find it hard to bring myself to do some basic stuff, like setting top / bottom of the image and shit, i think im too vain and feel like i should do it the hardway or something.

I think i will revist some of those exercises, youve.. inspired me to do so seeing as just how solid your studies are. I guess theres no harm in always practicing the basics.

Im looking forward to more updates in this sketchbook

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

http://jackwhat.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master 25 Days: Thanks for your lovely comments! Sure, do drop by, I update often (for now).

Jackwhat: Hey... your painting stuff is good, and your lineart has improved a lot since you first started posting. It's good to know people are actually looking forward to stuff in my book. No harm in doing basics; only good! Only good, hear!

Life drawing

Some pure contour drawing and more hand practices to try to improve line quality.

Remy from SF3; Fanart! Whoo! Must... draw more from my head... Repeat after me: Must draw more from my head...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, on the last drawing the leg is way WAY to long,
    the crouch is should be on the middle of the body,
    what i mean is that there should be the same
    distance above the crouch (torso- neck-head) than below it
    torso (legs) if you divide the area of the legs in half one half is
    for the upper legs, and half is for the lower, his femur
    is too long, and the left had is not well foreshortened, you are
    showing t much of the side of the hand, check with a mirror

Good concepts and studies non the less!! ill bee around
    and dont forget to take my comments with a lot
    of salt as Im still learing like you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maxetormer: Thanks for the crits and comments! Indeed, the leg is way too long. I'm aware of it, but I just think it's nice to exaggerate. Guess I overdid it. Left hand is definitely not very well done as you pointed out.

And some drawing of negative spaces. As suggested in "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". Not that I don't already do it, but it's a good refresher and will help in future life drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers for the consistant updates. You're definitely on the right track in only sticking to studies and not worrying about final pieces right now. You don't know how many times I try to go in over my head and run into so many problems when doing full blown illustration. How many anatomy books do you have actually? i only have the hogarth and the Peck book. I guess I can just ref from you studies here haha.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master 25 Days: I'm having problems with final pieces, if you ask me. I think these studies are really helping to boost my confidence, cause at least I'm drawing something nice, even if they're just copies. Plus, when I do decide to do something of my own, I'm surprised at how much easier it is, just because I've done the studies.
    As for anatomy books, I have Bridgeman (all), Hogarth (a few), Loomis, a Chinese anatomy book (very good), a few of Leonardo da Vinci's sketches, Human Anatomy for Artists by Gyorgy Feher. Quite a few, if you ask me... but never enough.
    By the way, don't ref from me, I suck. Ref from better people, or better yet, the originals. Mentler's stuff is good for ref too.
    I'm not really so much into anatomy right now, I did tons of it back then, so the basic knowledge is there (I know the names). I do occassionally go back for refreshers or to cover up the holes in my knowledge.

Some texture practice today. Must do more of these from different artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches from the last two days.

More textures

And some fanart of a webcomic "The New Adventures of Bobbin"
    http://bobbin-comic.com/index.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1