Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: scratches

Thanks
    Nice start mate..
    already u ve got nice critique..but i'll try to give some..
    What i saw in ur drawings is..there is lack of structure sense..i mean..i dont see the skull inside these faces..how about a start with skull study ?
    and dont go for likeness..it will come automatically as u study the structure.

Hope this helps

Keep working !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    2 am. can't sleep. here's my attempt to put a little more values in my drawings (but not too much!). Eyes are a bit large...

scratches

Thanks
    Yay! I think those last two are very nice!
    I think you caught the expressions well and the shape of the head looks much much better.
    There are litle things to nitpick on, but I think you drew them nicely!

Now here are the nitpicks;
    - On the "americana girl" the mouth looks like it's seen from the direct front, while the rest of the face is in 3/4 view.. Also the upper lip is much thinner near the corners of the mouth. The hair is something to work on too because I see a lot of lines, not hair. I know it's hard to get hair right (I struggle with drawing hair a lot myself), but the advice I've gotten from people is to divide it in to locks, and only draw those, so draw only the outline of the hair and a féw locks. That's the base.
    - On the last one this hair crit also stands. About the eyes; Do all of these girls have make up on (to make their eyes dark on the bottom) or is this just the way you draw them? I suggest you take a good look upon some eyes (wait, I'll just post them here
    scratches scratches
    As you can see there's this little light fleshy line below the iris (above also but you almost never see it well), I don't know what it's called, but I think it's kinda important to also draw that little line, because I think it makes the eyes look much more real if you have that in your drawing.
    Maybe you can do a page with just a lot of eyes drawn? You can use a mirror and your own eyes as reference material or find pictures/ drawings of eyes on the internet.
    You can do this too with noses, mouths, ears, whatever
    Oh and just one other thing; with shading you can go a lot further than you've done so far, really push the values and get some darks in there also! Even if it's not in the picture, you just find the places that seem darkest on the picture and make them a bit more dark in your drawing. Don't be scared to draw shadows in the entire face, it probably will go wrong a few times, but you're not here to make these beautiful drawings, you're here to improve and experience right?

Enough nitpicks You're doing great! Keep it up!
    Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    I think you are getting much better with Marleen's comments. If you want to get the face right, I suggest doing some studies of skulls. If that seems too creepy to you (the young ones always think it is), I suggest getting a photograph and drawing from that. It will help you, trust me. You can also diagram faces, like Marleen did in post #8. Do it over and over until your hand just KNOWS where things are supposed to be. Don't be afraid to sketch out the places where things ought to be first. If they look off, erase and try again. Lots of beginners don't use erasers, but they are one of the greatest tools.

A couple other tips, Marleen style-
    1) Get a seperate eraser from the one on the pencil. For normal paper, I suggest the white ones. They don't harden like the pink ones and don't smear as much. The maleable (also called Gummi) erasers are nice, but I don't like 'em.
    2) When you scan your images, most scanners have a histogram. This you can adjust to make the paper go whiter and the marks darker. Some of your scans are a bit muddy. Photoshop also has this feature. If you are unsure about this, look on the web; just google "Histogram."
    3) I suggest you try just drawing lots of mouths, eyes, noses, and ears without a head attacked to them. Get pictures and draw from those or look in the mirror (Yes, you have them too!). It will help you when you start to assemble the face and will help your hand get 'em right.
    4) People are made up of basic shapes, just like everything else. The head is mostly a large egg-shaped oval with some square-ish and triangular protusions. Work on some still-lifes, draw fruit, cups, etc; to get the feel of these shapes down. It will also help you if you shade them to give them depth; that way your brain will begin to see depth in 2D drawings.

Whew, think that is enough? Me to. Just keep at it. It is hard, we all know; but persistence is most of the battle. Most of the people on this site will tell you that their ability to draw comes from LOTS of hard work. Good luck, and keep posting!

To Marleen:
    Good on you keeping up with this one, hope to see you around!
    "Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Wow, thanks a lot for all the comments you guys. I think I can do an awful lot of drawing before I've incorporated all the advice... Not to mention the Loomis books...
    Now, I gotta go and get some sleep. Didn't sleep for a single minute last night. The heat...

I did my first workout drawing. The face is terrible. I can only draw reasonable faces when I have enough space. I guess it takes a certain experience to draw convincing small faces.

scratches
    Last edited by Effel; July 7th, 2006 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks
    eye studies: if you draw something large enough, it looks okay!

scratches
    scratches

Thanks
    Hey Effel... another tip in line with what Noe said: the knees should be in the middle of the leg (between hip and floor) on your work out sketch the knees are a little low but the overall lenght of the legs is good they might be a little longer on some ppl, but not on everyone.

Thanks
    Thanks qitsune, you're absolutely right about the knees.

Here's another portrait

scratches

Thanks
    Ukranian girl

scratches

Thanks
    Definitely improving! I love to see that. It's like our own little success story, happening right in front of our eyes.

The eyes are looking good, and that Ukrainian girl is probably one of the best drawings you've posted so far. Her nose is a little wonky, and her eyes aren't the greatest -- you should take what you've learned from drawing the eyes and really apply it.

Thanks
    I like yor stuff,
    still one thing.
    what's up with the two-pony-tail-hair look?
    it makes them ( to my point of view) all so trashy.
    but stil good work! keep it up
    "That's cute.... but it's WRONG"
    Scary sketches (might cause health problems)
    ok, ok so not scary, true. But the health problems I'm not so sure off...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isobel
    I like yor stuff,
    still one thing.
    what's up with the two-pony-tail-hair look?
    it makes them ( to my point of view) all so trashy.
    but stil good work! keep it up
    Thanks for the crits. I can't help myself, I guess pigtails are my personal fetish. But I totally agree that I should explore some other hairstyles

Thanks
    hello effel
    those eye studies are looking good so far Really try to apply them to your faces.
    I think the last two faces you posted are really very good. I can see improvement, definetely. On the ukranian girl; the ear looks really off, ears should go from the eyebrows to nose, and here it is definetely too small, but hey that stuff happens, keep sketching!

love
    Marleen

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast