Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 26: Heavens Gate

E.O.W. - #026: Heavens Gate

Round #026

Topic:
    Heavens Gate

You MUST include a description or backstory this round, or your image wont be taken to poll. Good luck!

Deadline:
    Thursday, 8th June 2006 6PM GMT

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make it flashy, and not cheesy. Make it your interpretation not jes big ol gates on a cloud! The first thing that came to mind for me was the pandamonium fortress from diablo 2 and like chinese interpretations of heaven, all zu warriors style

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Thats a pretty interesting topic. I always like the pandamonium fortress in D2. It was a really strange twist on heaven and hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have a feeling were gonna see some pretty stuff///

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool topic! looking forward to participating.

CRAP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ummm

more wip

this is not done and i would not like to take this to the polls. Just a learning experience for me. Thanks.

Last edited by Lohan; June 4th, 2006 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am not sure if you can call this an environment....

"20 Years without war!" says the speaker: "This should also have played a role, that humanity can enter space for few bucks." Another voice answers. "Yah, you r right, today is a great day, the star of the first tourist-class spaceship will start in a few seconds!"
    I looked from the monitor to the TV, a large spaceship which was designed in an oldschool style spitted spoke and the red lights began to blink. A countdown began.

So this is heavens gate, i thought giggling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adjusted the levels and some of the values. Final.
    The last task for the dead souls wandering the earth is to find heavens gate. Upon entering the gate all knowledge and the purpose of life is acquired. In life ignorance is bliss but in death complete knowledge of the universe brings about the highest form of serenity.

Last edited by Destinatus; June 11th, 2006 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To find yourself at the Barrow Gate means you have lived your life to the full and pleased the gods. Your reward awaits you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow awesome work speculart! really nice mood id say. and well executed. although one thing makes me sort of confused, at first it looked like you just pass through the gate to get up onto the hill, but at second glance im guessing the gate goes into the hill`?

CRAP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speculart...mystical atmosphere...I like it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work in progress...
    I hope, I will be able to render such a good atmosphere like speculart did for the final rendering! I only can quote JakkaS :"mystical atmosphere"!

After a cataclysmic event certainly caused by human behaviours, all the life seems to have left the city. But there is still shadows which are waiting to take their last path, grumbling their bitterness and judging their ow, mistakes. If you listen carefully you can hear in a last sad breathe: "if only, we had...."

Last edited by ferak seg; June 6th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jakkas and Stewart. Its a barrow so its a hill with a tomb inside, the scandinavians built them. The idea is, when you die you find yourself at the barrows gate and enter through into the hill where heaven awaits..mostly naked women and stuff. Like you said, real mystical like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Millions of souls make the pilgrimage to Heaven's Gate, Nevada. God opens the gates to heaven once a year and He brings the faithful with him to heaven. Upon entering the light, the blasphemers and unrepentant sinners are instantly vaporized.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speculart.. very nice.. possibly you could get more depth and storytelling in the piece by including some human part of it... not sure. Very nice piece! I love the composition.

ferak: hey man, that's a cool beginning! You still have some value and compositional things to work out.. it seems to me you have a completely dominant vertical composition.. I also am not quite sure if the perspective is quite right on the buildings.. they just don't quite seem to fit all in the same world. The street actually seems very empty, the single upturned car helps, but I think you really need more things like parking meters, and newspapers and shops and fire hydrants and streetlights to really establish scale and give the scene believability.

lets see some more entries!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blondie. It is strange how you see things differently from one moment to the next. At sijun I saw your piece and couldnt quite make out what was going on. Looked abstract but with a definate light element, possibly trees at the front, a forest. I just knew that I liked the feel of it. This was what ran through my mind. As soon as I got here and saw it, it was immediately obvious what it was. I think perhaps your piece may like the background colour in here better!! Love the mood, it could do with something to make the composition a bit more clear at first view. My eye was stuck down on the fore people, they could be in more shadow from the cliff so you are lead to the pool of light easier. Great, loose image.
    Oh and I am still thinking about a human element in mine. It may take away rather than add to that otherworldly feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished

The Seven Portals to the Seven Heavans.
    In a mountain range that exists on the edge of the physical plane, where the spiritual touches the tangible universe, stand the gates to the heavans. Seven portals, each a doorway to the realms of the Gods, are said to be the beginning of the soul's final journey. All who wish to be one with the Highest must pass thru a portal, and each portal is meant for different types of beings. A human who is passing on, finding favor with the Ancient Ones, will pass thru "Semilode enlu Gatifee - The Portal of the Third". Seen here to the lower right, The Portal of the Third is decorated with a pattern representing The Prayer Rugs of the Watchers, who keep the portals safe and hidden from the eyes of the Fallen.

Last edited by artiphats; June 9th, 2006 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    over achiever..not one but 7...can't wait
    to see
    chaos

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've confirmed what I'm doing for this...and it strikes me as funny as one of the non-bible people here, I found an actual description of what the gates to heaven just might look like buried in my resident Baptist's bible when she wasn't looking...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spec, I could feel the warmth of the flames in your piece on the back of my neck. Very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr Blonde - great textures.

Speculart - Very nice, reminds me of Diablo.

Edit: Wasn't happy with my first entry, so started workin on a different angle. Same concept. Consider this my final...

The Gachlican Monks have developed a way to induce portal expansion with highly focussed particle cannons. They've named this phenomena 'opening Heaven's gate', as it leads to an alternate dimension completely untouched by human and alien lifeforms. The monks now offer a tour service to likeminded people, enabling them to experience the wonders of this destination. The cross-dimensional shuttle is loaded, and for no longer than 10 hours the patrons pass through a summoned portal and dock in 'Heaven'. When the alotted time expires, the command centre will reopen the gate.

This seems to have negligible affect on the environment of both worlds, and strict guidelines have been set up to maintain this situation.

Last edited by Simon Boxer; June 9th, 2006 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    added a wip above, I think this will be the only activity I work on, and see how far I can push it between now and Thursday. Of course someone will probably post a 45 minute speed painting and kill me, but hey I guess I can't worry about that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cognition.sb - cool, i like your description

speculart - you have anice feeling to that
    _________
    I am still working on this, but now i am questioning it more...

Following the road of burning embers to the land of fire, is the only path to The Gates of Heaven. This is a journey of the body and mind. where the weak will pray for an quick death but if you can endure the quest. The rewards are unimaginable.

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ferak seg, I think a good description for yours would be "well.. this is it, people", cause that's really the feeling I get from it. excellent atmosphere.
    mr. blonde, you got a good sense of mass. like real epic.
    speculart, it shows you know what you're doing.
    Jmac, the supernatural element in your enviorment looks a bit unatural. doesn't blend too well with the magnificently realistic backround.

Freedom is awesome.
    www.croovman.deviantart.com/gallery

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    croovman - yeah i am having a hard time with it. i never did a painting like this before so i am learning as i go. any tips would be appreciated

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr blonde: I made some adjustements for the perspective and add some details to make the city much more believable thanks to your advice. Thank you very much.

Croovman: That's exactly those kind of words I had in my mind when I was paiting this image. Can I use "well.. this is it, people" as a title, I find it perfect! Thanks by advance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive round, and a lot of variety! here's mine:

A dig site in the syrian desert revealed an enormous monolith, made of unusual alloys. After months of research small areas of writing were deciphered to reveal that this was refered to heaven's gate by whoever constructed it. Further reading told of a connection between it and the cygnus x-1 black hole. It has been theorised that such dense material would be necessary in creating a stable shield against radiation types, that could be emitted from a black hole.

Last edited by yAdam; June 7th, 2006 at 06:35 AM.
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    eeee, awsome entries all. Mr.Blonde, it's a stunning piece a little hard to make out at first but once I realised what it was.. awsome. speculart, mysterious mood, nice goin mate.

Here's mine.. (so far)

High on top of the hill lies pathway to heaven; where the winds will guide you to the heaven.

Last edited by bumskee; June 9th, 2006 at 03:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! there is some really nice work this week. Bumskee, im really diggin the simplicty of yours. I love how you used nature to portray heaven's gate. There are some really nice textures in there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bumskee, your environments are always so vibrant and beautiful. I feel like bustin out the picnic basket and chillin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2