2d Animation schools

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2d Animation schools

Ok, I'm new, and I know this is sort of a common question, but I'm not finding the info that's specific to me, so I need to ask this.

I am currently attending the Art Institute of Colorado for Media Arts and Animation, and let's just say I've become disillusioned by the school pld: . I realise now why alot of people seem to dog on them here, especially since none of my credits will transfer... so I am looking to get out. This school is no longer really wanting to do anything 2d, I've heard rumor that they're even thinking about lowering the 2d animation classes to two classes, so now I want out.

I want a school that can let me focus specifically on 2d animation. So far, here in Denver (which is where I would like to stay), I've only found RMCAD (Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design). I've heard from some of you that CalArt is the best for what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure what requirements I will need (I'm in a rush, let's just say, so I'm trying to make my decision quickly but as informed as possible) besides a portoflio. Off the top, does anyone know GPA requirements? I had a abissmal 1.73 in high school and a more lovely 2.7 in Community College. I'm thinking if I have to wait for them for a while I could go back to Community college and finish up my associates to keep financial aid off my back...

I'd preffer, as I mentioned, to stay here in Denver. I love it here... however career comes first, and I'll move out if I have to. I'd preffer a nice dry place somewhere here in the midwest/west, and of course, affordable to live reasonably. But, regardless, the school is the most important thing. If anyone knows any good schools in this area, all the help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I *think* most schools require a high school and college GPA of at least 2.0 but I can't be sure of that. I didn't see any numbers in the requirements on the Calarts site. It is the best place to go for 2d animation without a shadow of a doubt. It is the Mecca of 2d animation. But with many art schools, they mostly look at portfolio first. If that's absolutely amazing, they may forget about the transcripts.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know you wanna stay in Denver, but loyola marymount university might be worth looking into if you can afford it. It has a decent animation program. Dont know if you can get in with those grades though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are some pretty good schools here in canada for 2d
    In Ontario, you have Sheridan and Seneca. In Vancouver there's Capilano College.

There are alot of good schools in the states too, you have Calarts obviously, and France has a good school called Gobelins (I think). Anyways my friend, check them out, thats just to get you started. When choosing a school to go to it's very important to do alot of research and make sure you make the right choice for you.

good luck in your search

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm gonna say that Calarts is no longer THE best. They WERE the Mecca for 2d animation, but politics have torn into that school too. From what I've seen of students' reels, I would go with Gbball and suggest Sheridan (Ontario, Canada), and maybe Ringling (Florida). Calarts doesn't really let you get experimental with your animation if it's not happy and Disney-esque, where as Sheridan does, that's a big factor I think. I mean c'mon, Calarts kicked out Peter Chung cause his student animations were too dark and weird, and basically not Disney, so then he goes on to creat Aeon Flux and more! And basically gave them a nice big "fuck you!" heh heh. So yeah, it really depends on what you're looking for. I have friends that go to Calarts, and I have friends that graduated, and both like it alot, so I'm gonna say the school sucks, far from it. But you should know what you want to get into. To say the Disney school is the 2D animation Mecca when Disney canned all their 2D animators... well it speaks for itself. RESEARCH RESEARCH!! Good luck.

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most schools will ignore your HS GPA if you've spent a number of hrs in college. Even if they want to see both, the most recent GPA is the one they'll go with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, so CalArt still wants it to be 'disney-esque'? Blegh and 1/2.

My style is a fusion of Japanese Anime, the more modern Korean Anime, and American Comics, especially in character design. Haven't quite gotten into animation itself yet (about as far is walk cycles and knowing how to use Imageready for gifs), but it's what's popular and I always try to make mine unique.

Anyways enough of that, I figure my GPA should be decent enough. I think I may be too late for some of the schools other than Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design, so if I must I'll attend community college and finish up my associates untill then if necessary (although I may have to move from here anyways if the colelges won't take me for stupid reasons...) but I'm to the point that I really want to know from you guys:

Would RMCAD be a good college to go to? Or is there no comparison between that and the other colleges?

So if you guys say no to CalArt, I'll consider it a no (but still get info to make sure myself, don't want to make the same mistake I did with AiC ~_~).

Right now my other thoughts are MCAD, Collins, and the few you all mentioned. As for attending school in Canada, is there anything specific I should know? Or should I contact the schools first? let's just say 'financial aid' is paying for a good chunk of this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen some work by students currently attending Calarts, and yes I will have to agree that much of it is Disney-esque. However, I think that has more to do with the people the school attracts more than anything else. I know that a lot of people who go to Calarts consider the legendary 9 old men pretty much synonomous with god, and Disney perhaps the most perfect human being ever to live. I think the reason Peter Chung was "kicked out" was because he was at school at a time where it was pretty much THE hiring grounds for Disney, so there was a lot of Disney-esque work around.

Then again, you still will find a few character animation students, but more specifically experimental animation students who are still willing to go out on a stylistic and conceptual limb. And the students who do that produce amazing work. I just think a lot of students stick with Disney-esque because A, it's what's comfortable, B, it's what they know, and C, it works. Of course, it could be politics too, but I don't know enough about that to comment.

And from what I hear from students at the school right now, they still let you, and encourage you to, experiment quite a bit. Personally, I think school should be the place where you should be allowed to experiment the most, because lord knows when you graduate and are lucky enough to get a job, you probably won't be animating in your favorite style.

I'll be attending Calarts in the fall, so we'll see how experimental they really allow you to be, because I for one would like to see some more work outside the Disney safety net.

But I would still say that Calarts is oneof the best, if not THE best school.

-bloaty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bloaty you think I could have your AIM sn? cause im gonna be applying for Fall 07 and I might have some questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.