My first serious coloring...updated*finished version
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My first serious coloring...updated*finished version

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry My first serious coloring...updated*finished version

This is my first serious color, I want to learn how to get the nice realistic touch of painting...

I am still very bad with color selection so it ends up effecting my lighting, seriously, give me some serious c&C I want to learn to paint good already...

Just for original reference...

Last edited by PerfectKayCustom; June 6th, 2006 at 03:22 AM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the one in the left the final look. I think it looks alright but not realistic. Right now it has a plastic feel to it. Not sure why, I guess it needs more chromatic amplitude (darker shadows, some highlights). Some texture might help it.
    Cheers
    Fil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somewhat final yeah, How do you think I should go at it with texture?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thing to remember;

The sky is one giant lightbulb. If you aren't in the sun, you are in the sky. The blue effects EVERYTHING.

This pic by m@ (Check out his sketchbook BTW, really nice)
    http://mv.cgcommunity.com/images/valleyscene.jpg

See how many blues you find that are the same.

The shoulders, the helmets, the mountains, the grass- it's all over. But you don't even notice it at first, which is how you know it works =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check this thread, lots of advice on how to add texture to your brushes in PS:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68607

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love your line drawings, but I recently started 'painting' aswell and had to learn color in a sort of trial by fire.

It appears you are making the smae mistake as I did; being too subtle and conservative in applying shadows and colours. The trick is to lay down the foundations well before the detail. I see with the middle figure you have outlined where his chin will be: rather than a border line, block in the shadow it would cast. Work up and image of light and shadow before adding the details.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to really glob on the values.

To start in colouring, have you considered scanning in your good lineart and using it as a template.

Just my two cents, keep painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry Update...

thanks for your C&C, I took it all as best as I could, I decided to drop the BG since I should worry more about the characters themselves.

My points of view, well I learned a lot trying to paint this...I learned to make brushes and focus alittle bit on lighting, of course in this picture the lighting is a typical top to bottom, I could've done better, but I learned I shouldn't spend an eternity trying to paint one picture, so basically this picture took about 14 hours, I speed painted the late few, I lose to much quality spending so much time on it...

I also did scriblles all over the clothing for a little feel and fixed up a lot, the top image is no texture and the bottom is textured alittle the comprssion messes it up a bit, am sorry...also I just gave up on the hand on the center not thaT I can't do it, but I just don't care, I have to just go on, can't expect a masterpiece now...

Now I want you guys to help me out and completely destroy this with C&C so my next picture will be heaps better...say what you have too, obvious or not, I want to learn...

The center guys face is widened a bit I dont understand why...guess my finger slipped somewhere and didn't notice and also the erase circle, which you'll notice yourself...

I learned a lot trying this painting thing, yeah I know my webpage has a few painted pictures, but it wasn't as serious as this...I promise my next painted picture will be great : ) thanks people

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.