Painter 9 sharpness

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter 9 sharpness

This has probably already come up. So Im learning Painter 9 and things are going ok, but all my work looks kina blurry. I have high enough res. Just it seems difficult to produce a clean line. An example would be that of ALIEN's work. Hes got a new one in the Finished section. Im not trying to emulate his style, Im just curious how Painter is able to get that clean.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because, to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He uses Painter 6.1. Watercolor, mostly the simple water (very sharp) and the glow brush. He also uses an opaque cover brush with the watercolor dab for clean strokes akin to Hyung Tae Kim and that school of rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are looking at creating a brush similar to what Alien and a lot of other Asian artists use, check out this link.

It creates a nice hard edged brush that can create some really nice gradations. It's a little too slick for my tastes though so I crank up the grain and paper texture when using it.

I do make some more personal changes to it. I like all my brushes to have bleed at 100% and resat around 30%, with both bleed and restat set to pressure and bleed set to inverted pressure. This is a tip I got from reading Chris Beatrice's tutorials. Setting bleed to inverted pressure means the lighter I press on my tablet to more it blends, the harder I press, the darker and more crisp the stroke. So, I can get hard edges and soft edges with the same brush.

Good luck!

Last edited by rogfa; May 29th, 2006 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because, to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perineum,

If you want to use Painter 6 Water Color variants, all of the variants included in the default Painter 6 brush library's Water Color brush category are represented in the Painter IX Digital Watercolor brush cateogry.

Painter 9 sharpness

There are slight differences (I see them as improvements) in the way Painter IX Digital Watercolor variants work, even with the same brush control settings found in Painter 6 but if you want to adjust them to match Painter 6 more closely, that's easy.

Again, I like the way Painter IX Digital Watercolor variants work better than I like Painter 6 Water Color variants even though the difference is difficult to see. They just feel better and that's hard to explain, just something one experiences.

In other words, don't waste time worrying about using Painter 6 Water Colors. You have them in Painter IX Digital Watercolors, plus a lot more variants to work with.

Also, remember that tutorials you see or things you see on other artists' websites may have been written years ago and those artists are very likely using Painter IX Digital Watercolors now, though what you find in the tutorials and other text on their sites refer to Painter 6 Water Colors.

Ryan Church is an example of an artist many want to emulate, or at least use the brush variants he uses. Too often people think he's still using Painter 6 and he's been using Painter IX since before it was released, though you may still see on his website references to Painter 6 brush variants.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my question wasnt really intended to get into watercolor sets. I mostly paint with the acrylics and Im learning the oils and artist oils(theyre tricky).
    I love the action of oils but I cant seem to get them sharp. I only mentioned Alien because of his ability to get hyper clean lines, not because I want to emulate his style. I should have been more specific about what particular tool I wished to have advice on. Sorry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

zoom increments

I might be far from interpreting the subject correcly but, make sure you have Draw zoomed-out views using area averaging checked. You find it under Edit > Preferences > General. Also work in zoom-increments of 50% 100% 150% and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just change the dab to watercolor even if the brush is set to cover if it's too sharp the flat dab works more like thick acrylics.

Painter 9 sharpness

Last edited by Portus; June 2nd, 2006 at 12:14 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.