CHOW#28 - CHESS - The Knight

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CHOW#28 - CHESS - The Knight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ROUND #28

PLEASE CONSOLIDATE YOUR WIPS AND FINALS INTO YOUR FIRST POST.

CLEARLY DESIGNATE YOUR FINAL.

DESCRIPTIONS ARE MANDATORY.

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Please save your files starting with your nickname.

example: "Oblio_CHOW23_Platformer33 copy copy.jpg"
    -------------------------
    DEADLINE
    SUNDAY, JUNE 4th
    The way the deadline works: if deadline is on a Sunday and your image is posted on that Sunday 23:59 your local time it's a good entry.
    In fact - as long there is Sunday somewhere on the planet your entry is ok. I will make the poll sometimes Monday afternoon my time (GMT +2) yet i'll have a look at the last entries.

--------------------------
    CHESS - The Knight
    Videogame Character -
    This time it's serious.

This is the story of the Chess Pieces BEFORE they become abstratc.
    A young King goes into adventure to find his missing parrents as the BLACK EVIL is conquering all the nearby lands.He will battle evil and he will have to cross to GODS territory to help the WHITE in the battle. When he will cross to the other world, he and his crew will be turned to what classical chess pieces are today. (abstract looking chess pieces)
    Back to the beginning of his adventure:
    In his journey he will make a party with other characters. The first to join him is the Knight.
    "Concept" this guy.

Requirements.
    - His form should tell the player that he is the Knight - general knowledge - the horse head. Should explain why he turns into today's piece - also in the game... people should read well the board.
    - Should be specified why he attacks in L shape. (weapon, special move, description for the animation)
    - Should explain why there are 2 Knights alike in the same army.
    - Should explain why he is the only one that can "jump" another piece. Movements othe rthen JUMP - concept why he passes other pieces are encouraged.

- OPTIONAL NOTE - King (with crown) is the tallest piece.

Now... concept!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Extra topic - We need a nice official border for the CHOW finished pieces.
    If you guys feel like doing one... please share the .PSD with us so we can make one border for all our images.
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guessing it will be dificult to pass all that information with one single image, I guess it will either be necessary to make a composite image, unless you can explain all that in the text?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    composite - the character in full body pose (one view only is enough but feel free to develop it as you please) , additional images/sketches - like in a char sheet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the knight

theKnights Darrel and Harreld are twins. Raised with horses. When they were born there were two foals born tha same night. so the the twins were raised ever together. Some of the people were unsure wheither the brothers could walk. with horses as their totem they joined the prince's forces as the the anchor of the messenger system and cavalry. they are so fast and agile that they are excellent scouts and spies, and as such are often where you don't expect them to be (three up and two over.....etc)

heres where Im heade withthis although 2 horse and two people ...I have to be crazy

Sunday 10:22 pm....update and done

chaos

Last edited by chaosrocks; June 4th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool topic, indeed. Great concept story.

Gonna be hard to share a .psd though, since everyone will be using a different size canvas. However, what I feel is a decent size (and a fairly discrete border) would be:

+4 pixels left, right and above
    +25 pixels down
    5pt arial font (or the equivalent size of another font)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idea Oblio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my mind is STEAMING with ideas!!!

This one will be fantastic

just to clarify - final piece must have a full body of the knight character - it can be in an environment or not - and also you could put the king in there as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, been slowly working on chess-themes pieces for a while now. Almost requires I do one here.

It was in the first days of the ascension of the boy king, His highness Sophos Peter Strategos, that the band of eight was formed. Eight generals, battlemasters of great prowess and loyalty to the young king.

Of these the vanguard were the leaping spears of the sisters Lippezanne’. Ebon and Ivoire, mirror images of each other, bounding over lines of enemy troops on the hafts of their long spears, then cutting hard against the flanks of the enemy with the long bladed heads of those same weapons.

-Fuu

Last edited by fuuryoku; May 29th, 2006 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Origin of the Knight FINAL

A long time ago in a far off kingdom, whose name remains lost to us, lived a royal family. The king and queen of the family were bitterly torn by greed, pride, and the lust for power. The schism was so large that the armies became divided within the kingdom. The Queen had her army and the King had his. They separated but still lived under the same roof, designating their spaces by color. Living within the land was a witch, who grew tired of the quarreling within the family to whom the country looked for guidance. In an attempt to mend the wounds and have them see their flaws, the witch cast a spell, literally tearing the royals in two: their evil corrupted side on one hand, and what little virtuous side on the other. The dark side seeing they had more power tried to conquer it’s virtuous reflection for complete dominance. The virtuous side refused to surrender, and so began an epic battle that would unite King and Queen once again, but would sadly rage on for centuries and send their kingdom into peril. For their selfishness and lack of duty to rule their kingdom properly, the witch cast both armies into statues, and placed them on a battlefield that would forever be there home: the chessboard. Now the armies have eternity to try to solve their grievances through their players. If one side can ultimately claim their victory, than they may reclaim their humanity and rule once more.
    Sir Roland of the King's Knights: Roland is of the King’s original knights and most loyal subjects. Although now united under one banner, Roland still shows favoritism towards his king. He is forever locked in his “L” motion attack so that at his first opportunity, he may jump in front of his King and protect him at all costs. The Witch saw that such a loyal subject shouldn’t go unrewarded, even if it was a curse. That is why Sir Roland and others who swore a similar oath of loyalty have been given the honor of making the first move in any battle, for his cause is noble and his motives pure. And what better icon to be than a royal steed, ready to gallop to his lord’s defense.

Last edited by Mr. Visions; June 4th, 2006 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a note to help everyone out, the knights in chess are based on men that ride horses, hence the horsehead shaped peices and the ability to jump over others (because horses can jump over people).

but thats only the reality, if there are more creative ideas on this one, i would absolutely love to see them.

No!... Maybe..... Look, that was six weeks ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is not obvious to me, so as it is an old story, do that mean that we have to design something medieval? Can we try something a little more futuristic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ferak seg: I'd say the concept does require some trappings of antiquity in the image, but there's an easy out for that- Lucas it. (Long time ago in a galaxy/ mythic kingdom/ alien culture far, far away.

anyway, updated with a color WIP while I was taking a surfing break.

-Fuu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this topic is fucking KILLER, Oblio. I can't wait for you to fill my mind with your crazy ideas in Montreal. It looks like it's time for me to get back into the CHOWs

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelHunter17
    just a note to help everyone out, the knights in chess are based on men that ride horses, hence the horsehead shaped peices and the ability to jump over others (because horses can jump over people).
    Yeah, I thought Knights are horsemen, that's why they have a figure of a horse representing them... Note that they are also the only chess piece that can move before a pawn...

Rooks were also supposed to be horsemen before, but instead rides chariots, therefore they cannot "jump" other pieces... Now, they're fortified fortresses...

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh woah...now this is weird...

I was about to start doing the new challenge on Polycount.com, which is to recreate a character from a boardgame as a video game character.

Well....guess what i picked...

Looks like i might be doing both at the same time now

"The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel" -- William Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit of a long story, but after a few changes, here it is finished.
    Lyn and Torden were twins. Their mother had died to illness when they were two. Their father , a nobleman, had been killed at battle with the army of the Black Witch when they were twelve years old, an event that marked their lives. That day they swore to avenge their father.
    Aricin, their father's wizard took the children in, and taught them everything he knew about magic, and under the tutelage of the warriors that had served their father they learned everything they needed to know about war. Both boy and girl grew up to be accomplished warriors as well as sorcerors.
    When they turned eighteen, they embarqued upon their quest of revenge. Mounted on their white steeds, they made it to the black castle where the Black King lived with his wife, the Black Witch. As the walked through the black gates, they notice the place was deserted. Overly self-confident in their youth and inexperience, they decided to split. As Lyn entered the main room, she saw the Black Witch standing before her, high up on a dais. As Lyn voiced her challenge, a leering grin split the ugly face of the Black Witch. She said: "So a noble lady has decided to mount a horse and become a warrior? Maybe she needs a lesson in propriety." and rising up her arms, she uttered the words: "Since a lady no more, then a lady you shan't be. A steed you choose over your loom , then your steed shall become you!"
    As the horrible enchantment travelled from the Witch's hands towards Lyn, Torden walked into the room. As he jumped towards his sister, trying to shield her with his body, the spell hit them both. When they came to, they had been fused with their horses, half human, half horse. Despite the disfigurement, they managed to escape from the castle, followed by the mocking cackle of the Black Witch.
    Torden, always the gentler one, grew accostumed to his new shape with time. Lyn however grew bitter and dark, and the desire for revenge consumed her utterly.
    When the White King announced he was out to Battle the Black King, she volunteered first, eager to leave, and eager to die if necessary. Torden had no choice but to follow her, as the love they had for one another ruled above all.
    The King was astonished by the swiftness of the movements of the couple of warriors.
    With their training in magic, they knew how to go right through their enemies, literally, shimmering and becoming like air, and then striking sideways; changing direction abruptly in the last minute, like gazelles, always coming at their opponent from the most unexpected angle to slash at them swiftly with their swords. Sister and brother, pale and deadly, the centaurs ruled the battlefield, one driven by the thirst for revenge and by love the other.

Last edited by carotello; June 4th, 2006 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, carotello, here I thought I'm going to be soooooooo unique and make a centaur Back to the drawing board I go. Very nice dynamics in that pose by the way.

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awh, you should do one. I actually like it when people do the same things, because they are always completely different anyway. Originality nowadays lies in the little things I think, plus I saw your work, and you'd probably make one awesome centaur ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Devil May Cry 3 had chess piece enemies, statues actually but later in game a whole set on a chess board as big as dante.

basically looked like bigger versions of smaller pieces though.

look near bottom: http://www.capcom-central.com/DevilM...p?page=enemies

p.s. anyone remember battlechess?? that was the pimpshit. i don't remember much from being young, but i do remember the queen kicked the others in the nuts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, This is my first try at this. Oh, and Battlechess was incredible, i still remember the knight killing the king by disrobing him - hilarious!

UPDATE:

Hey thanks for the feedback dCept, I hope i fixed the bored face, but unfortunately i read your post too late to fix the awkward pose (I was well into rendering it by then). I agree with you totally, when i look at the pose from a distance it seems really stiff, something ill have to work on for the next one.

So, here's my final ->

Two horsemen knights, brothers. The horsement usually have a hatred of men, but they were ordered by the horse king to aid the young king of men to help him defeat the black army. Strong legs and light frame allow them to jump clear over most obstacles. Why the long face?

Last edited by Puck; June 3rd, 2006 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im a bit late for this one. But Ive got an idea, so I'll give it a shot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thought i would mention that there're also 2 horseriders in chinese chess, and they move in an L shape too. i'm not sure if it was coincidence or inspired.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just to boost this a bit further.
    i don't have the time to finish this but i want to give you an ideea of approach.
    If the time allows.. i will expand this a bit more.. yet.. i trully fear i will not be able to take on this subject this week.

A good way to find ideas for a realy suitable character is to go AGAINST the description. Again - this is just a good approach in finding the one who will satisfy all the requirements.
    Therfore:

- There are 2 in the same team - i said - what if they are enemies? Rivals? Maybe they were somehow before this life.. and now.. they are forced to work together. Or maybe they were rivals yet inthe final battle, they both sacrificed to save the old King... and in that act they become real friends.

- Symbolics: We need a horse, a horse head... yet we need a character...
    As they died all together... the loyal horses did not want to leave.. and posessed the bodies of their Knights...
    That will give us on the animation a lot of freedom, and adds oddity and mistery.. depending on how we unfold/forge the story later on.

- Since they are posessed by the spirit - we need no longer to have someone agile - that will give us the possibility to have a massive Knight. It fits the coolness of a knight... and it is somehow against the initial description. So we add a massive armor.. with horse motives...

- Fighting - since the Knight can attack beyon other piece.. a long range weapon seems the choice - so i gave one of them a sort of.. crossbow... yet teaked to fire on the attack line... just to make it .. different and ... blah blah.. and i thought to give the other one a sort of close combat weapon.. as i see this guy .. killing from behind with smooth rotating moves...

anyway - i really have to go - i hope this will help you guys in your approach.
    We'll talk more to montreal...
    Sorry for the crappy english - no time to spellcheck and... sory for the crappy drawing.. it's just.. to make a point.
    cya

EDIT: HA HA - PUCK - i've seen your entry after i posted - nice approach.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wip

carotello: yeah but I had yet another idea!!!

concept: The Knight - Donovaan.
    description: Once upon a time a stately knight left his castle, to rush against the clock in search of his brother, bringing only but a locket with him. The road was long, the way treacherous, but the knight pushed onwards, until a winding trail he took to cut through a forest brought him to his final resting place. His steed, Irokou, had finally succumbed to exhaustion, leaving his master all alone to tread through the darkness of none other than the Forest of Mist.

By then, both the armour that the knight wore and the weapons he wielded have worn beyond repair and have failed him as well. In a moment of desperation, the knight used the bones of his own steed (the flesh of which has already been devoured by the angry mists of the forest) to build a scythe and armour in hopes of fighting his way out. But... he failed. The locket he carried was lost within the depths of the Forest of Mists, and the knight's spirit remained. Now he wonders through the ancient forest, his spirit tied to this world and this place by his quest to find "something that was once lost".

Finding his locket and bringing it to him allows Donovaan to leave the Forest of Mists and join you on your quest. Perhaps along the way his ancient memories will return, and his history and motives will become clear. He wields a heavy scythe made from the bones of his horse. Being a spirit, he can solidify and vanish at will, allowing him to pass through his enemies to attack from the back.

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I was so clever with the scythe idea...

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ceberae: Awh, crap...after looking at your drawing I feel like going myself back to the drawing board...
    Very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually theres only a few weapons that go with the "L" shape attack ( do not confuse it for "V" shape), that thats a Scythe, a Halbert or any other type of slashing polearm and a Flail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    I thought I was so clever with the scythe idea...
    Sadly, I think everyone was thinking of using a sycthe...I'm going to try to hop on with this CHOW... I really need the help...

Crappy stuff by me!
    Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...723#post428723

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1