Advice for a student?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advice for a student?

Summer is approaching very fast! :whoa:
    That means that I wont have anything to do...but art . Unfortunately, Im not able to take any art classes Id like to in school because im stuck in "Experiencing Art 1", where basically all we do is paste colored paper to more colored paper for 45 min. So basically, I really know nothing about traditional art AT ALL, and have no clue where to start.

Im looking for some classes I can take this summer, or just something to do in order to practice 2d art in all forms with some help. Unfortunately, all the classes in my area are VERY expensive! I live close enough to take the train to NYC, but I know nothing about NYC and I wouldnt know where to start to look for classes (or how to find them in that big bad grid ).

I know this is a very broad question, but if anyone has any suggestions as to summer activites to "broaden my horizons" art-wise, that would be very helpful.

:ep:Thanks a bundle :fish:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ha!n

Who said you need classes to practice art? What you should do is just make a supply list of mediums you want to try out/learn and then go to your public library and get a few good books with master works, anatomy books or works you like.

You can also get some great project ideas from- the forum called members of the middle class. They do lots of cool life drawing things like anaotmy studies, still lifes and just give out interesting project ideas.

Oh yeah and paint from life hehehe. Oh yeah, you can visit the zoo and draw/paint too. Between that, master copies, leaning new mediums and projects. You should make good use of that free time.

- I'm pretty much painting & drawing all summer too but then again-for me its a priviledge to be able to wake up evrey morning and have time to just paint and draw.

good luck & enjoy your summer it'll be up before ya know it

dried corpses smell like beef jerky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of the most basic and most helpful things i would say is to get a sketchbook and take it with you everywhere literally, where you go it goes,not only does this give you a place to draw something in those five minutes waiting for the bus train etc, but it also keeps you thinking about art the whole day. Its like asubliminal msg telling you to keep drawing and practicing.

The art world is big and there's a lot to learn. All you can really do is launch yourself into its depths.

Seek it out and you will find it and one thing leads to another . suppose you want to study hands, well hands go into arm, then anatomy, figure, skeleton, wireframes, gestures, rhythm, flow, form, light and shadow, volume, proportion, balance, harmony, composition, thumbnails, prep work, color comps, lighting comps, rendering, edges, brushmanship, it all goes back and builds oon one another.

in NYC? Art students league still around not sure, but you might want to look it up, its lineage goes all the way from Rockwell to Foster, Hale, and Riley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot you two..I just usually like some guidance whenever I start new things, so taking a class just seems natural.
    But maybe Ill just work on my own :cool:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.