Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Merlin's sketchbook - Update September 25 - nudity

Thanks
    motives -

oma - I'll answer your question when i have more time, got to go now.

Figure in action study, from reference, with pencil.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi man!
    Sorry for not posting earlier. I kinda forgot to subscribe to this thread, and then I thought I had..
    On that last figure, those hands both look a bit too small, especially the front one. They're about the same size as well, which seems a bit wierd as one hand is further back than the other one.
    I can't find any other flaws really
    Nice folds!
    And as I said to you on googletalk don't be afraid to post the stuff you think is "pure crap" because if you also post the stuff you don't like, we're able to create a better image of what you can do very well and what you need to practice more.. It will give you better crits in the end I think.

Sweet stuff!! I love how you did the shadows in the picture oma pointed at. It must've taken you ages though

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Wow great SB! I love your rendering style and paintings.
    5 Stars for me
    Ciao

Thanks
    ooo....very well I like your graphic arts ! I wait ot you yet sketches...
    old sketchbook
    new sketchbook
    Available for Freelance / Full-time

Thanks
    Amazing paintings and drawings. 5 stars from me.

Thanks
    post more dude...and don't rely tooo much on reference...try and work out a pose from a photo, but work on the clothing and accessories and features from your mind.Apart from that, as i alreay said, this is one of the cleanest and more precise rendering style i've ever seen.Now use your imagination! (and even more stars will come )

ciao

Thanks
    dude
    update please?
    you drew quite a lot at the dutch sketchmeeting, from what i've seen it looked very nice..
    It's been two months now since the last update..

Oh something I would like to say also; don't be afraid of a bit of contrast in your work. Your colours on the self portrait were probably very accurate, but not really interesting, if you understand what I mean. Do some experimenting on contrasts, high and low saturation and all that. Also try some more rendering in sketches, maybe some different sorts of rendering.

Ah welll.. I hope to see some new updates from you soon.

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    thanks for all the comments.

Oma - Om even terug te komen op je vraag. Goed kijken naar je referentie en vergelijken met je tekening en met die schaduw ben ik uren mee bezig geweest, deed het ook met een 0,3 potloodpennetje , heel zachtjes over het papier gaan met het potlood en dan langzaam steeds donkerder waar het donker moet en ook af en toe met een tissue uitvegen om zo mooie overlopen te krijgen. Ik hoop dat het een beetje duidelijk is.

NoŽ - You are right on the selfportrait. I'ts the same as my other paintings they are quite boring actually. Just copies of the photo reference. But I did learned a thing or two while working on them and that's why I made them.

It has been a long time ago since I the last update so here is some new stuff.

The third image I tried to do a perspective from above, but I failed, no reference used, so if someone could give me some tips that would be very nice.

The last image you see mee drawing our mayor, who retired a few months ago and we (my figure drawing class) had to make a painting or drawing of him. I used photo reference for his face and a picture of superman for the pose, the rest is from my mind. I will make a better photo of it when I get it back.

Thanks
    Heya Merlijn

It's nice to see a new update from you. The "spotprenten" are looking good! The middle one on the first page is you right? ^^
    I like that you posted some doodles in here it's nice to see some of the "looser" stuff you make. On the side view alienish figure in the upper left corner of the second page, the breast looks like it should be a bit more to the left (of the page) I think this photo is a good example to show you what I mean. Also, the breast seems to start very high, there is usually a bit more "flat chest" before the breast starts, or so I think
    I love the face in which the eyes are too far apart, it doesn't bother me much, and I really like the expression also your male figures from mind are very good! How come you do those so easily?
    On the digital sketch; nice! Sorry, don't have much else to say about it
    Hands are nice, good if you consider they're done in pen. I think this is a part of the body you should study a bit more though, since hands are quite important in illustrations.
    The graphical drawing of the girl is sooooo GREAT. Luv it. Only crit I have is the right (our left) hand. It looks like it's too small, but that could be perspective.. You should make it more clear if you were drawing the hand tilted or straight. You could try to add some subtle shadows (you're probably the master of the subtle shadows so that shouldn't be a problem), or you could try to use some curvy lines like you also did in the male figure from mind (but then a bit cleaner). This image really shows your strengths in drawing; that graphical thing you've got going on, and the cleanness.
    On the next two images I don't really have something to remark.. Soz ^^
    On the last drawing: I guess this is a "spotprent" again right? I would like to see this photographed from the front, because it's hard to see at the moment, but it looks like the man is standing a bit to the left, looking at you. His right (our left) shoulder though, looks about as wide as his left, but this could very well not be true as I'm looking at it from an angle
    The arms would be right in length if the upper body would be of normal proportion, but as the upper body is longer, maybe make the arms longer too? that would seem less odd But ehh I guess the point of "spotprenten" is that they're quite odd? ^^

I don't think your paintings are boring by the way, I think they could be more interesting ^^ that's a very different thing.
    It's good to do studies, lot's of 'em. But you've also got to think about how you want to make your images look appealing, how they could look interesting. And ofcourse how you can put your own "thing" into your work.
    Try to think about that a bit. Experiment more (if there's time ^^), oh and try to paint (with real paint you know ) something some time? Painting for real has helped my digital work I think, so it might work for you too.

Ah well I've said enough I think. Keep these kinds of updates up ! ^^

Love,
    Marleen

Thanks
    very cool update...excellent pencil work as usual...no wonder you say it takes so much time, it normal seen the precision of the rendering.

keep 'em coming, i want to see more

ciao

Thanks
    Great work there Merlin. Awaiting to see what ya post next.

Thanks
    Holy crap dude! I like your last update, has some pretty interesting stuff in it, I really would like to see more stuff from you guys from the Dutch sketch group thing.. Which reminds me.. The 10th of March there will be another meeting, I might have to come this time. (:

Keep it up!

Thanks
    well i,m brand new to this site so this is my first response on a thread....i,m no art buff but the works looks amazing to me..the first digital painting is awesome..

kemical

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast