Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just saw X3...

Thanks

Thumbs down Just saw X3...

Sadly, I just saw X-Men 3 The Last Stand, and walked out of the theater very disappointed. So far the movie is getting a rating of 62/100 or 1 1/2 stars out of five (yes, five on some sites). This Ratner fellow will probably recieve tons of hate mail for absolutely ruining the franchise. I hated what he did to the characters and how so many main characters where killed off. And the storytelling was HORRID, I felt like Barney wrote the script. As childish as it may sound, its true. (X-Men three, a-cure-and-Beast, killed-a-bunch-of-char-act-ters-to-say-the-least...) Utter waist of talented actors and movie-magic-makers. I won't "ruin" the movie (anymore than it already is on it's own) for those who haven't seen it, but as a X-Men Fan and a follower of the franchise, I say CURSE YOU BRYAN SINGER, WHY DID YOU GO!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts...

- Visions
    Last edited by Mr. Visions; May 27th, 2006 at 01:34 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Too bad, but I had a feeling that might happen to this one.

Thanks
    "You should've killed me when you had the chance!"

Just saw X3...

INDEED...

- Visions

Thanks

Thumbs down

yes very dissappointed. felt like the day i saw starwars ep 3. NOOOOOOO!

so many plot lines that end no where. meaningless characters. and soooo much potential to have a good movie not delivered on. that is the greatest disapointment, wen you have absolutely no reason make a bad movie and do.

cmon the whole scene where wolverine is fighting brotherhood extras was retarted. look at me im wolverine i can kill bums!

yes too many cool characters where killed/cured off. did anyone stay after the credits to watch that lil easter egg at the end?

also just after reading and finishing the house of m, the whole no power deal doesnt really have any gravity.

on the flipside, i thought the pheonix was kinda cool, and there was really fun camera shots. beast wasnt as bad as i thought. and i liked angels wings. other than those 3 things, i have nothing to praise this movie for, exept that it ended.

again sooo much potential to knock me out of my boot, but no delivery. in fact the fedex dude trip on his way up the steps and smashed it.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Yeah, I stayed for the easter egg and the ending shot (which was an emotional scene). I was like "What the Crap, thanks for trying to save to movie now..."

By the way, during the whole Wolvie fight, I just realized he was fighting Marrow, except it was a guy. Like I said, took me a while.

I thought beast fighting was cool. I'm sure lots of internet clickers caught the Juggernaut line. I was disappointed when there was not Ice slide by iceman (btw, iceman/pyro fight....weak sauce). I thinky campy is one of the best words to describe it.

I think you said it best when you mentioned "so much potential and no delivery."

... still angry.

- Visions

Thanks
    Yeah, me too. I didn't have very high hopes for this movie to start with, but even then i felt cheated of my money. I don't mind a bit of nonsense now and then, but they have to tell it right, and it just didn't happen. Such a stupid story, such a wasted oppportunity. Luckily it'll probably be the last of the franchise, so they can't fuck up even harder.

But i did laugh with the Juggernaut one-liner.

Thanks
    I hope this isn't the last one, but Then again, we don't need another Batman experience (actually, nevermind, we do, thank you Holan for a recovery). Hey, since Bryan Singer decides to throw in Random Superman movies (the new one takes place after the second I've heard), maybe he'll do the same for his OWN series. Just a thought.

- Visions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Visions
    Yeah, I stayed for the easter egg and the ending shot (which was an emotional scene).
    What was it?
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I was hopefull before I actually saw it but I could not agree more with you. This film sucked and I'd be surprised if Ratner would even be able to leave his house without an angry mob of X-fans. He single handedly butchered the franchise in a manner worse than Blade: Trinity. I cannot believe this script was even approved and greenlighted.
    Last edited by N D Hill; May 27th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Bryan Singer didn't have anything to do with this movie... or am I misunderstanding you?

Anyway, I agree with everyone else here, its was very disappointing. It had a few cool moments, but the cure plot was stupid and rendered utterly pointless with the "oh, we were just kidding" scene with Magneto playing chess. They shouldn't have even attempted the Phoenix story arc if they weren't going to make it the central plot of the movie, and at least try to do it justice. Un-needed character deaths that seemed to be more about the actor's real life contractual obligations rather than killing the characters for the sake of the story. Bad writing and acting all around. The list goes on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Number_6
    What was it?
    not telling, dont spoil it.

trust me, it was worth it. Stay for the end of the credits, theres like a 6 second clip, leaving it wiiiiiide open for a 4th movie, despite claims that this was the last.

I dont know what you guys are talking about, i thought it was pretty badass.
    Sure, the story was a little weak, but the action was awesome. It was well worth the 8 bucks.

Thanks
    SPOILER WARNING
    Yeah, there were some great action scenes. The franchise wasn't ruined because: Cyclops's body was never shown, Prof X is still alive, and I'm sure Jean could come back in a similar way. Anyway this leaves the movie open for some time travel, if indeed there is a part four and they decide to bring back cyclops, not that I care all that much about cyclops. I would have preferred sentinals instead of the cure as the major story line though. What was with Magneto being surprised about the plastic weapons, didn't he remember his plastic jail from 2? Would be cool to have Apocollips in part 4.

Thanks
    Who else was bored watching that piece of crap? So much potential wasted

Thanks
    Don't get it twisted, the main reason I didn't like it was because the story, which is soooo important with continuing movies and sequels, was so weak. I enjoyed the action, and was well executed special effects wise and was in a way fresh, but it has to be meaningful and coherent.

- Visions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armando
    SPOILER WARNING
    Yeah, there were some great action scenes. The franchise wasn't ruined because: Cyclops's body was never shown, Prof X is still alive, and I'm sure Jean could come back in a similar way. Anyway this leaves the movie open for some time travel, if indeed there is a part four and they decide to bring back cyclops, not that I care all that much about cyclops. I would have preferred sentinals instead of the cure as the major story line though. What was with Magneto being surprised about the plastic weapons, didn't he remember his plastic jail from 2? Would be cool to have Apocollips in part 4.
    How are they gonna explain how they lived?... This film pissed me off bad... So may cool characters are wasted... The whole Phoenix saga was wasted... Who the heck was that at the end (Easter egg)?... "Moira" was it?... Prof. X is there?!?!...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks

Spoilers!!!!!!

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS

"Moira" was Moira MacTaggart, an old ally of the X-Men and i *think* a one time flame of Professor Xavier's (until he ran off with the Queen of an alien race but thats another topic). Moira helped Wolverine out a few times too if I remember correctly.

The main problem with X3 was it tried to handle too many different storylines and characters at once. Overall, apart from the second film, the whole X-Men franchise of films has left me unsatisfied. With so many long standing character backgrounds, story arcs and relationships it seems like whole franchise has had trouble picking and choosing which ones to explore and which ones to leave by the way side.

Phoenix saga should have been the entire film's plot. Or the cure. One or the other. Phoenix never unleashed into the flaming Phoenix form that was suggested at the end of the second film (where we see Jean as Phoenix flaming away under the water) and seen in the books. Why?

The cure storyline for me raised the issues of abortion and the loss of civil liberties but never explored them. Magneto suffered under Nazism but defaults to tyranny and terrorism to preserve freedom for his people while the X gang defend a government that intends to impose a cure on the mutant populace. Not to mention Xavier's forced repression of Jeans personality- who is the real good guy?

Well- we all know the X-Men are the good guys so the script writers never bothered to explore the ideas they raised. The script itself talks directly about the question of ethics but it turns out that was actually just setting up a loophole for later on.

Now having said that, comic adaptations aren't supposed to be high brow, in-depth thought pieces but films like V for Vendetta and the most recent Batman have definitely raised the bar of expectations for what comic book adaptations *can* be.

And not only was the cure story line weak but the 'Dawsons Creek' subplot between Iceman, Rogue and Kitty Pryde that was resolved by Rogue becoming human (Iceman: "Awesome, I can finally get laid. I *do* love you after all!")- wtf?

Weakest points in the film:

-Iceman and Pyro face off. They built up to that fight the whole film and all they did was stand there and blast away. One dude shoots fire and the other shoots ice- surely there's more you could do with that whole concept. It was far more static than any comic book I've ever read which are all about dynamic compositions.

- Cyclops spends 90% of his screen time crying and is suddenly dead by the end of the 1st act

-The X-Men discover their leader Cyclops is dead. No-one cares.

-Phoenix stands around for 90% of the 3rd Act, seemingly unsure where she is or what to do with herself. As does Kitty Pryde throughout most of the movie. Phoenix doesn't need the mutant army or Magneto... but she apparently doesn't have anything else to do but stand around staring blankly.

-Magneto lifting an entire bridge to get to Alcatraz when a common ferry would've carried the mutants there just as easily. Speaking of which- that seems a far more powerful feat than Phoenix lifting a house and disintegrating random extras.

I'm sure there were others but i've already ranted far too much.
    Last edited by Marcatili; May 28th, 2006 at 06:29 AM.
    Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    ^Oh, thanx...
    Quote Originally Posted by expat
    "Moira" was Moira MacTaggart, an old ally of the X-Men and i *think* a one time flame of Professor Xavier's (until he ran off with the Queen of an alien race but thats another topic).
    Was it Lilandra?...

Cyclops was wasted,
    Rogue was useless,
    Xavier was basically useless,
    Angel was useless (what was his point?!? to save daddy?!)

I love this quote in Rotten Tomatoes forum: "Angel will be the new symbol for the gay community. When those wings burst out and he's wearing nothing but those rugged denim jeans, it's like IM HERE AND IM QWEER DAD! ACCEPT ME FOR WHO I AM! This scene was clearly gayer than anything in Brokeback Mountain."...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Yeah Lilandra

I totally forgot Angel, which goes to show exactly how pointless he was.

Thats so true about the gay thing though... never thought about it that way but its hilarious now that you mention it.

Thanks
    I thought the movie was fantastic with amazing vfx. I just wish the movie was 30 min longer so could sum up all the fricken plotlines. And have the last battle 10 min longer. and the icemen vs pyro was sick but it could of been so much longer. Basically MOVIE WAS TOO SHORT.

Thanks
    Here's an excellant article that sums up why X-men 3 failed:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=224109

It made a good point saying X3 had the same affect on it's franchise as Godfather 3 did on it's own franchise.

- Visions

Thanks
    I hate Ratner....that's all.
    Bloody hell....how the heck do they let this slide?????
    They just look at the first week's box office income and don't give a fuck about the plot 'cause it's the X-men, everyone'll want to see them.
    Bunch of lowlifes

Thanks
    Expat great rant. Yeah, that Angel gay thing was totally obvious, I live in S.F. too so it was pretty damn funny when I saw it. Still I don't think this ruins the franchise, the next one could be better, besides aren't there like a dozen different X comics out now. There are so many takes on the story it doesn't even matter any more, I consider the cartoon cannon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    uh, did any of you guys ever, like, read the comic? Killing main characters (and other "irreversible" conditions) are kind of stock for any Marvel comic, and X-Men most than most. I remember Xavier dying at least once when fighting the Brood. The unbreakable rule of Marvel comics: only Bucky stays dead. So get yer panties out of a twist, people! I'm hearing both that the franchise is done with and that that part 4 is being planned, personally I expect a sequel. And the "cure"? Come on now, in the movie they come right out and say that Angel will be the first to recieve treatment, how they hell do they know if it would be permanent? Classic Marvel "gotcha" type stuff and very in the spirit of the comic books (at least when they were at their peak in the 70s and 80s).

I agree the Phoenix plot was a bit weak. I was curious why Nightcrawler was mysteriously absent with not a word of explanation. I'm highly skeptical that all-powerful phoenix could be killed by a surprise gut shot from Wolverine...

all the same, I liked it. Looking forward to the Wolverine and Magneto movies due next year
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    The unbreakable rule of Marvel comics: only Bucky stays dead.
    Guess you haven't heard the news...

Just saw X3...

Looking back on things, the beginning of the end of comics for me was when they brought Jean Grey back in X Factor.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    The X-Men 3 video game supposedly explained why nightcrawler wasn't in it, but in real life, Alan Cummings hated the make-up work and didn't want to pursue the role again.

And coming from a comic book stand point, it's cool to kill of characters and bring back because you have so many issues to work with. In movies, it's different: You kill somebody off, you gotta due it right, cause you dunno how many more movies you can make. Three characters in one movie is cool if the story makes it work, and I think it clearly didn't. Cyclops, leader of team and Jean Greys love, killed and no floow up, no one cares, quickly forgotten. Jean Grey, no real struggle with her darkside, gut checked and died. Charles was the only half decent death, and still, I feel his revamp should have been intergrated into the story, just like the phoenix symbol in the water in X2 at the end. That was actually clever. I slap on of five seconds at the end of the movie just shows that, "hey, in case you hated charles dying, here's a scene so that we can make another". It reminded me of the scene at the end of the recent Godzilla where there's an egg and a godzillasaurus jumps out. A cheesy, cheap way to continue a story. Bottom line, story sucked, movie and franchise suffers. I as a fan want a 4th, for ecovery's sake, but hugh jackman himself along with ratner in interview on MSN's sneak peak both sai it was probably going to be the last one.

If anyone can provide a source otherwise that might clear up some things.

- Visions

Thanks
    I'm a big fan of the Chris Claremont era X-Men back when John Byrne was the man and later his run with Jim Lee. The mutant cure story line was borrowed from Joss Whedon's run. As a fan of the X-Men I thought that it was retarded that they killed off 3 of the original 6 X-Men in 1 story line. That is NOT the typical Marvel canon, neither is taking Angel (one of the original 6 in the book again) and turning him into the poster child emo kid. After they hype up his appearance giving him 5 minutes of screen time as a bit part was lame. He had no real place in the film other than to be associated with Worthington Enterprises. Furthermore, explaining the Phoenix as Jeans multiple personality made allot of sense if you want to piss off the fans that know the history of the character.

The "Where in the world is Nightcrawler" angle was also lame. As a major part of the 2nd movie at a bare minimum they should've explained where he went. The Danger Room scene was also a waste of time. If they showed more than the head of the sentinel that would've been cool but they didn't. It almost felt to me like they shot the Danger Room scene and the final fight back to back as the terrain was almost identical. The writing was craptacular, the story rushed, and the dialogue is only one example of this. How many times can we see the cliche President standing in a the oval office or the pentagon doing the "God help us" line?

Now the worst part, the death scenes. We never see cyclops actually die which was the lame ass part of the movie, what was even more retarded was that Logan and Ororo didn't even take the time to look for the fucking guy. All of a sudden they find Jean and there are no further questions and they leave, WTF?! The Phoenix being killed by Wolverine stabbing her in the gut is beyond rediculous. For those of you that don't know; The Phoenix is a powerful character thats whole purpose was to destroy and remake the universe and a now 6'3" Wolverine has the ability to take her out? I think not. Professor X's death scene was probably the best one of the lot but still didn't have the kind of impact that I thought it should. My final gripe is with the shockwave character (whatever her/it's name was). The actor/actress obviously had breasts but looked like the hispanic dude from 'Hackers' and made me feel unclean watching it on screen. Magneto ditching Mystique made sense but the fact that the govt didn't do shit to her when she decided to reveal information about their location was fairly lame. Come on let's think about this, one second she's in a holding cell killing guards and threatening FBI agents and the next they're casually discussing things with her in a room? There are so many inconsistencies in this movie to count so I'm just going to stop before I spend my day posting and not getting any real work done.

As a final note/aside: Dave, Bucky does in deed suck copious amounts of horse cock but he is NOT dead and is coming back as Elwell pointed out. He's a 'Bad Ass' now where he's been doing vigilante killer work.. yeah.. yay Marvel. There only 3 Marvel books that I pick up regularly, and one of them is NextWave. The rest are all one shots and guest artist spots because they change artists and writers more than I change my underwear. The good stories are usually few and far between and are released 1 issue every 4 months (there abouts) i.e. IronMan w/Adi Granov and the new Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine with Leinil Yu and Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof. I'd rather they just switched entirely to graphic novel formats instead of making us wait 5 months for the next one to be released. It reminds me of the Cliffhanger days with BattleChasers. Alright, you get the point.

Thanks
    Guess you haven't heard the news...
    ok. now I'm shocked

yeah, the Phoenix rewrite blows but since they never made it to outerspace in X-Men 2, I was expecting something along those lines.

As I recall, the "Xavier escaping death by shooting his mind into another body" story is also taken from the comics.

As for what they're doing in the comic now... I haven't really read any Marvel books printed later than the early 90s and those weren't even particularly good, so I'm going mostly on the Bronze age take on the team, which seems what the film makers were after as well. True, a straight up Dark Phoenix movie would have been amazing, but oh well.

Sort of a sidenote, but while we're gettin all comicon geeky: AVP will never be topped for long awaited disapointment and squandered potential if you ask me.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Just read the revised Bucky history... wow. lame. But good for a laugh.

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks

Rant #2

I was a MASSIVE Wolverine fan during the Hama/Kubert days.

Over the course of their time Wolverine regrew his claws (his adamantium had been torn out of him by Magneto) and, without the adamantium constantly hampering his healing factor he eventually became even stronger as a result of the adamantium loss. He became more in touch with his animal side but more of a loose cannon, which was great.

Hama built up backstories and subplots over the course of his run, which serial based stories are made for.

By the time we approached Wolverine #100, Logan was struggling to control the beast. In issue #90 (leading into the Age of Apocalypse storyline) Wolverine 'killed' Sabretooth who had been in a prisoner in the custody of the X-Men. He was running around in the woods outside the school, spending less time indoors. (Sabretooth wasn't dead of course... he healed up under the care of the ever-loving X-Men and escaped again in order to feature in a one off Sabretooth book at the end of which he was 'killed' again...*sigh*)

Evidently, Apocalypse noticed this (somehow) and captured Wolverine with the intention of replacing the lost adamantium and making him the ultimate warrior to serve the forces of evil.

In issue #100 they attempted the adamantium process again but Wolverine's newly super-powerful healing process rejected the adamantium and Logan was tipped over the edge from Man to Beast.

Awesome story arc from losing the adamantium and his gradual growth or descent into instinctual animal as his unhindered mutant power overtook him.

Issue #105 (or thereabouts) Larry Hama goes to Hulk, Wolvie gets his shiny yellow suit back, grows his old hair back and files down his canine teeth and starts spouting glib expressions about killing people again.

I stop reading Wolverine.

I can't even pick it up anymore... I see that he's got his adamantium back again now and they've revealed his entire backstory apparently... how crap.

Anyway, point being- Just because it happens in the books doesn't make it good storytelling and doesn't make it justifiable for a movie franchise which has infinitely more riding on one installment than a comic book series.

Thanks
    I don't see why you guys are blaming this on Ratner. He was a last second replacement, brought in long after the script was written. I thought he did a great job with the very short time he was given. He polished the turd as best he could. This is all on the studio's head.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.