Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts

[not art related] ATTN: those who can hardcore scream

so im the frontman of a metalcore band, though ive only just taken up screaming in the past 3 months. im able to get a good and consistant sound, that i can use for (at least) 2 hours solid, and not blast my throat to pieces. i feel good afterward, and all is happy.

if anyone is familiar with Melissa Cross (vocal trainer for the metal generation) and her work - particularly her DVD entitled "the Zen of Screaming" - it would appear that her technique and my own differ greatly.. and yet im still achieving desirable results without noticeably damaging my chords. i warm up correctly, i breathe (always) with the diaphragm, and the only areas of fatigue are my abs (they can get a little sore after a long jam sesh, nothing a few situps cant fix), which im guessing is a good thing as it shows where the force is coming from. my scream is a higher one, similar to that of Zao or Underoath, and takes very little effort to produce the sound. im not straining, there is almost no obstruction (yet a continuous lock) in my throat so airflow is good.

my question is to those who know: is this ok? Melissa Cross tends to promote more of a shaping of sound, then amplification via both breathing and sound equipment. should i change something that seems to be working well, even if it isnt the "safe" method? for all i know i could be doing things right and not realising it, but yah..

spose the best solution is to ask if anyone else can hardcore scream, to post your technique in here so i can compare and conclude.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I prefer melodic singing, but that's just me...

in all seriousness, if you take regular voice lessons, you'll learn proper physical techniques that should help you vocalize in your preferred method without damaging yourself. I don't know enough about it myself to say if Melissa's is 100% correct, but it sounds pretty good.
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    oh dont get me wrong, im traditionally a singer. my band sound most like unearth, but with melodics like killswitch engage, in which i sing (of course). ive taken lessons, and melissa cross' dvd and cds have more on singing technique then screaming. guess it just comes naturally once youve mastered singing.

Thanks
    The first thing you need to realize is that you WILL damage your chords by screaming. Forget what melissa cross says, any screaming will damage you. Yes, you can prevent more damage by taking right precautions, like breathing in steam. (that will help a lot).

I played in a grindcore band for 2 years, our singer was probably the best damn vocalist I have ever heard, the dude was amazing...and that's not a biase opinion because I didn't even like him very much. He got to that point by doing it the old fashioned way; If he would spit up blood, he wouldn't scream as hard. He would practice in his car all the time while driving, and he would warm up his vocals before the show began. He WOULD spit up blood sometimes and he would sometimes go for a day without being able to talk, but it sounded DAMN good and he knew it was worth it. There's no trick.

So I say, just scream until it hurts and then back off. also breath in steam. I know my advice probably isn't the healthiest, but I can't stand wimpy screamers. You will get to a point where it doesn't hurt anymore. haha. I've been doing it for awhile now and I'm perfectly fine.

Thanks
    I haven't gone to Melissa, but I know a few singers who have. They went to learn how to sing. She's a big deal in NYC, because there are so many musicians and a lot of hardcore bands. She works with all the big guys. It's one thing if you play a show once every two weeks, but she trains guys that have to sing/ scream every night. Even that guy Andrew W.K. goes to her. She's a bright lady with some good things to say.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Scream = Voice Strain,
    Our music teacher always instructed us not to shout.. i am sure screaming is a lot worse than shouting.. i think you can scream, but not too regularly, give yourself like a week of rest.
    Claude

Thanks
    skeiff i absolutely disagree with everything you said " just scream until it hurts then back off ", if u scream correctly then there should be no hurtage and seriously if u spit out blood there is something definetely wrong with your screaming technique.

Thanks
    " just scream until it hurts then back off ", if u scream correctly then there should be no hurtage
    What?!! Havent you read anything about the lead singer of "Avenged Sevenfold" or the lead singer of "Audio Adrenaline"?

And what's screaming correctly? There's no special way to scream, a scream is a scream, there is nothing to it. Scream is a Loud High Pitched sound, there's nothing around it besides taking rests between screams, and dont over exert your voice.

There are some symptoms to keep a look out for though:
    1.A low, raspy, or rough voice.
    2.Hoarseness that continues for more than 2 or 3 weeks.
    3.Swallowing or breathing difficulty, especially if it is accompanied by ear pain.
    4.Coughing or choking when you swallow.
    5.Frequent throat clearing or the sensation that you have a lump in your throat.
    Claude

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barts
    skeiff i absolutely disagree with everything you said " just scream until it hurts then back off ", if u scream correctly then there should be no hurtage and seriously if u spit out blood there is something definetely wrong with your screaming technique.
    I've never met a singer that hasn't strained their voice in the beggining. This includes non screamers. There is no way you are ever going to scream and not feel some kind of "hurtage". Yes there are techniques to use so it won't hurt as much, but you WILL strain/hurt your voice no matter what you do...

Thanks
    Tricks for screaming! Spitting up blood! LOL I sang death metal for 5 years, and never had a single problem. My voice would be a little hoarse fo about half an hour after a show, and that's it.

Somebody has a video about how to scream? That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. There are no tricks, just as there are no tricks for drawing. Just practice. If you don't improve after a few months then maybe you're not cut out for it.

Thanks
    i prefer melodic singing too, but a bit of hardcore screaming is k too. I can actually scream haha, my friend and I were doing it earlier at a friends party sat in the corner to crappy 60's songs haha. Was quite funny

Thanks
    Screaming is silly.

Thanks
    lol no technique to screaming??? yeah sure there isnt

Thanks
    Don't focus too much on the screaming 'Stoph go for showmanship!

Ya know, couple dead chickens, beating yourself with the microphone, always a crowd pleaser.

No one'll care what you sound like when they're having so much fun getting sprayed by your life juice...

Thanks
    im gonna check this stuff out myself. I can do grunting and low-end screaming, a la the lower bits in Job For a Cowboy, Glass Casket, Between the Buried And Me, etc. I really want to be able to do a higher-range scream to, like underoath or Shai Hulud.
    pretty much, I want to be Tommy Rogers.

Thanks
    This band that played when I was in HS: Grindhouse? The lead singer at the time could let out some scary screams and growling and bellowing, yet still was able to put out the lyrics clearly.

And, my roommate can do one of those high pitch, girly horror-film screams. He does it only on special occassions. I know this doesn't help, but I can ask him his thoughts.

Stoph, i'd just look into it man. Do something that you feel is unique and won't come back and make you do sign language.
    Why do you have to scream necessarily. I know the brand of music calls for it, but why not experiment with other techniques?

- Visions