Thanks

Exclamation Trust me this is IMPORTANT

For those who have been discharged from the military since '75 this is some important info I read from the USA Today, and I quote

-------------------------------------------------------
    VA: Data on 26.5 million veterans stolen

Everyone discharged since '75 is warned

By Tom Vanden Brook of USA Today

WASHINGTON- The federal government is warning every living veteran discharged since 1975 to watch banking and credit card statements closely after sensitive personal data on all 26.5 million of them were stolen this month.

Monday, Veterans Affairs Secretary Jim Nicholson acknowledged the information was stolen from the home of a department analyst who wasn't authorized to remove it from the office.

Privacy experts say the theft is one of the largest breaches in identity security ever. The stolen data include social security numbers and birth dates. Information on some veterans' spouses was also compromised.

The information could be used to open fraudulent credit card accounts without the veterans' knowledge, said Susana Montezemolo, a policy analyst with the Consumers Union.

"The Social Security number is the master key to your financial well-being," she said.

Nicholson said the analyst took the data home to work on a project. He offered few details because of the ongoing investigation. He didn't name the analyst, say where the employee lived or what form the data were in. The analyst has been put on leave.

The data also included information on veterans who filed claims before 1975, said Matthew Burns, a Veterans Affairs spokesman.

Though he said veterans should closely watch their finacial statements for unauthorized transactions, Nicholson said there were no sign criminals have used the data. He said the burglary seemed random.

Veterans groups were outraged.

"It's an absolute disgrace that the agency put together to assist veterans done this," said Bob Wallace, executive director for the Veterans of Foreign Wars. "This could ruin some vets' lives."

The largest breach in identity security occured last year when intruders hacked into computers of payment processor CardSystems Solutions. The criminals gained access to 40 million account records for holders of MasterCard, Visa USA, American Express and Discover Cards.

That theft pales in comparison to the potential loss veterans face because the stolen data in this case contain their Social Security numbers, said Beth Givens, director of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a consumer advocacy group based in San Diego.

Those in the CardSystems case could close the affected accounts, she said, while veterans "will have to monitor their records from now into the indefinite future."
    ----------------------------------

I write this to you all because I don't know if their are anyone who is afiliated with a vet but my old man is one and this could be very problematic for his life.

Here is the number and sites that they have on the paper if you need more information.
    1-800-FED-INFO
    www.firstgov.gov
    www.va.gov
    Last edited by The Crazy Dude SRD; May 26th, 2006 at 03:22 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey admin..mods, whoever, may we use this Trust me this is IMPORTANT button? From time to time?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    That's what it's there for.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    This is actually true, I work in the Social Security Administration and we got informed about this this morning.
    I dunno how applicable it is to everyon eon the board, but it does open up a possibilitiy of id theft... worth putting a flag up if you're worried.

Thanks
    This could cost the government untold millions should they decide to put a watch on all of the stolen accounts.

The guy had evidently been taking the sensative information home for three years.

He had better be so out of a job right now.

Thanks
    An update; A massive lawsuit is about to hit the VA, charging a grand for each vet(minimum) that had their data stolen, this was to compensate for them having to keep tabs on their financial records. Unfortunately I couldn't grab the paper to give you the exact text but, someone is out of a job because of this and this is sure to cost the government a lot of money

(simple math $1,000 per vet X 26.5 MILLION vets = $26.5 B I L L I O N)
    Yes that is a B in that last number. But to be honest, this won't do enough justice)

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Fuck it. I say we just give DC to the vets as compensation and throw everybody else out. They gotta be better than what's there now...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Something tell me that it would have been much cheaper to just do what they were suppose to do in the first place.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crazy Dude SRD
    (simple math $1,000 per vet X 26.5 MILLION vets = $26.5 B I L L I O N)
    Yes that is a B in that last number. But to be honest, this won't do enough justice)
    man...with that money, we could've built a giant escalator to space

Thanks
    Dont worry, Mister Bush will find a way to get more out of your pockets... what I guess he s gonna do is take money out of our (well your since I m canadian) pockets to pay for their lawers...

since it s a law suit agaisnt them, they will hire lawers which are their personal friends, make them work super slowly (strench the whole process over months) and find a way to make them work (well they wont actually work) overtime so they can pay them top tax dollars... 750$/h each minimum

The judge will receive a brand spanking new Mercedes and a condo in Biscayne Bay, Miami and so on...
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Perhaps a funny thing would be that those 1,000 dolars will go back to unprotected accounts...again, because I seriously douth they will have enough money to invest in more security.

No offence Crazy Dude, but this law suit won´t fix any problems, it will be just another insanely large percentage for the lawer firm that might be reepresenting the veterans.

Thanks
    I know, I just figured people should know what's going on... To be honest, the veterans could probably make a better world than crooked politicians that just want to pad their own nests. It could be worse though, we could all be running around like headless chickens, oblivious of our own real situation......

Wait! Am I describing 2002 to Now! or perhaps from the beginning of humanity. Pehaps it is just the trivial work that we are forced into to make ends meat, constantly trying to apease a boss that constantly ignores your work and complains endlessly about how you are costing the company a few pennies. Biting your tounge and taking it up the ass for a few more cents to make it possible to get BOTH food and shelter.

The other side effects to consider is the eventual colapse of the Veteran Affairs office due to bankrupcy that will destroy those millions of lives in the long run. If GWB's little multi trilion deficite to fund that middle east endevor of his doesn't do this country in.

I say we should be looking forward to a Greater Depression or a change in what kind of government this is. I was thinking something of a Democratic Dictatorship where the rich run things for the helpless poor.