Art: Major Newbe! Which clay there as so many?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Major Newbe! Which clay there as so many?

Only second post, please bear with me peeps. Im getting supplies to have a go as im completley green with envy, i want to be as good as all you good ones anyway help or advise is needed: i have a list of clays that i have got from various websites, im a bit miffed as what to use so heres my list

paper clay (dekovorm)
    Dollfimo
    Creall-therm
    Prosculpt
    Papydur
    Sculpy
    Fimo

im interested in making the nicer looking things in life, i meet to many gobblins, monsters and living dead (as im one most of the time) every day, so gentle, life like creations are what im after. if anyone can give any help as the people whos websites these clays came from all hold each one in high regard so im not sure if one is better than the rest!

im looking for the clay that drys to a smooth skin like texture, but mainly is good to work with. Also can you get mini sanders or do you do it hand to buff them up?

thnax for reading any help would be most appreciated

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    use super sculpy you'll like it the best! If you haven't already... refer to Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial...you can't miss it! it's been a permanent fixture on the top of the 3d&Sculpture forum page for as long as i can remember... if you follow the tutorial and read it all ( as opposed to just looking at the pretty pictures ) you'll find out a great deal of helpful tips that even a total begginer can use! by the way if you finish the sculpture smooth before you bake it (unless you burn it and it bubbles) you shouldn't need a sander.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have not been sculpting long and started with Fimo Puppen doll clay as this was the only clay I could find. I found it quite easy to work with, but felt `left out` of the crowd who all seem to use Super Sculpey. I finally ordered some and was extremely disappointed...it`s like working with chewing gum! Way too soft...eventually mixed it to something useable with my Fimo. I am considering ordering some of the Sculpey Firm as this may suit me better.

The only other advice I can pass on is to try whatever clay you can get and see how you get on with it. It`s worth having a look for small sample packs...I have so far found 2oz packs of Fimo Puppen, Super sculpey and Sculpey firm, so you don`t have to commit yourself to 1 type without laying out so much cash

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    --- Mr.Grey

Suggestion for your super sculpey situation. First I agree super sculpey is like gum. But I have a technique that will make you a happier sculptor. You have to leech the clay first. Roll out a thin panel of sculpey from your pasta machine and lay it on a piece of clean inkjet paper and lay another piece on top. Pat it down lightly and leave it for a couple of hours. This will leech some of the plasticizer out of it. This will make you clay more firm. Try it…I think you like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks hiddenpixel for the info...I have done this (although by hand as I dont have a pasta machine) and it does indeed work...but why have to do this? Not that I`m lazy but what I want is a clay that is good to use after a bit of conditioning (rolling etc).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can also get firm grey super sculpey which is excellent to work with.

http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/acat...lpey.html#a894

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEHE...managed to get my hands on a cheap pasta machine today...WOW...should have gotten one earlier :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrey
    Thanks hiddenpixel for the info...I have done this (although by hand as I dont have a pasta machine) and it does indeed work...but why have to do this? Not that I`m lazy but what I want is a clay that is good to use after a bit of conditioning (rolling etc).

Well Mr Grey I hear ya…But manufacturers can’t make clay that will suffice the needs of all artists. At first I felt the same way you do but over time I started to find the benefit of customizing your clays. Just like you would your paint colors or palette.

Guaranteed with some time you will find customizing your clay will be of great benefit your artwork.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.