Hooked

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Darcy,

This looks really good, especially the head and hair. I like that you're doing a complete piece with a concept and story behind it. The weakest part is the the trunk, where the rib cage connects to the pelvis. Also, her arms are a bit short and stiff. Through the middle of the picture you loose the nice flowing underwater feel that the upper and lower parts have.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique. Im a portrait person so my anatomy isnt so great. I totally agree about the ribcage and her arms, i was having the most problems with those. thanks again, i really appreciate it~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it. It's very very nice. The only advice I would give is to keep on trucking. Study anatomy more, and draw constantly. I've been drawing my whole life, and I'm nowhere near as good as 99% of the people on this site, yourself included. Keep at it. It's beautiful.

"It is ten percent how you draw, and ninety percent what you draw." - Andrew Loomis

Artastic's Sketchbook

Visit my new username and sketchbook at Thor's Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks artatic ^_^

i didnt a little photoshop doctoring, can you guys see any improvment?

Hooked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really :s
    I think what Elwell means is the hard line that seperates her belly from her rib cage. Looks like it's pinned on it. But I don't really care, it looks fine for me. Sometimes art is about changing reality to make it look better for what you're trying to draw, and I think this little flaw is one of those things. (but maybe if I could see the whole piece on my screen, i'd have another opinion)

What bothers me is the right underarm, which looks really thick compared to the thinner upperarm. This might be caused by the heavy blue shadow on it, which the upperarm lacks.

Show some more if the palm of the right hand too, now it has a very hooky feeling to it, and looks too small and thin. Adding a bit of palm will give the hand more volume and add some more drama to it.

Her left arm (holding the hook) is too short. Hold your arm up like that and you'll see your hand is higher than your nose, right in front of your eyes. To have your hand in the girl's position you have to stretch your arm far more. But your canvas was too small probably?

Her left eye looks a bit weird. You're the portrait-lady so you should know better than me, but I have a feeling the far end of the eye should be going down, not up, if you see what I mean. Now it looks like you copied the right eye and placed it behind the nose. It's a very little flaw, maybe not even worth mentioning, but it's the first thing I saw.

Shouldn't the ribbon (that's keeping her bra together) be flowing in the water, instead of hanging like that?

Now for the fun part: I love the face, I love the colors (really, they're amazing), I love the underwater feel to the hair, the underwater blood (maybe you should get more of the blood in the water around her lower body, to strengthen that underwaterfeeling) and I love the goldfish. Very good background, little abstract and not just one rectangle in one color.
    I'd say do more! You're already on a high level, if you ask me.
    Don't get frustrated with the many flaws people see. I only pointed them out because I thought you had a really good thing going here. I pointed them out, so you might take them into consideration when you're doing your next painting.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hmm....

i think she needs some serious surgery. I might be able to operate on her, but dang i cant find my tools!!!!

Ok..now to the crits.

Her head and hair is lovely. your colors are not that bad, but i may point out that you have some anatomy issues. Try to stay away from the boxy looking arms, and torso. Try to add some curves especially on her hips. Try to get the lines to flow. You will get much better results. I suggest you look at real people, for this project here, you could look at some girls in swimsuits on the net and study the anatomy.

Other than that, i think your work is good. Practice makes perfect at least thats what people say. But in my opinion there is NO SUCH THING AS PERFECT...There is always room to improve, since you are only 17 you got plenty of time to grow on this site and trust me, this site is the best place if you want to be serious about your art work.

Cheers and looking forward to see some more from you..

Perfection grows from the imperfection of the human mind

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.