Creative Energy (the methane gas kind of energy)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Creative Energy (the methane gas kind of energy)

Greetings all!

I wanted to share this with everyone because I think it's a very good idea, and I was wondering if there were other projects like it going on around the world.

I am doing some volunteer work for Ohio Valley Creative Energy, which is a group of artists working to build a studio near a landfill in southern Indiana. The studio will run off the methane gas produced by the landfill, using it to fuel glass furnaces and kilns and the like (the studio will house facilities for glassblowing, lampworking, ceramics, and metalworking).

The end goal is that by using a cheap, renewable energy source to fuel the studio, the facilities can be accessible to younger, fresh-out-of-college artists who may not be able to normally afford studio time, and better allow them to produce work (I did glassblowing in college, so the sentiment is relevent for me).

I know that there was a similar project in North Carolina, The Energy XChange, because they are helping this new group get started. But I'm curious if anyone has heard of similar developments anyplace else, or just what you think about the idea

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I have not heard of ANYTHING like this... But as a future starving artist the idea is NEATO. Good luck with that, it would be a really cool thing to see in the somewhat vague near future ^_^. -thubs up-

El cielo embatado y triste, para nosotros maramos entre el enjado. The bella ombra dwells within us all, the beautiful shadow, the dark muse, but only some of us chose to see it. - There is no such thing as an artist who is at least alittle crazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In Montreal, TOHU-La Cite des Arts du Cirque (city of circus arts) which is a school for professional circus artists is built close to a landfill and there is a station that produces electricity for the neighborhood out of the gas from this same landfill and the heat this station produces serves to heat the TOHU in winter.

http://www.tohu.ca/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.