Tablet PC's

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tablet PC's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tablet PC's

Iím currently using a wacom intous and a Toshiba Satellite. The Satellite is approaching the end of its lifecycle. You see itís a Pentium 4 as opposed to a Centrino, having just missed that chip revolution, and itís constantly burning me, overheating, and otherwise threatening to catch on things on fire.

So Iím thinking of updating to a tablet notebook. Iíve pretty much got my heart set on it. I love my intous, but I want the added functionality of being able to draw directly on the image. Iím tired of the disconnect between wacom and screen, and Iím not really ready to plop down two grand for a cintiq when what I really need to do is replace my combustible laptop. I also think I can live with the drop in sensitivity. Iíve all but convinced myself that my work doesnít need over a thousand levels. My simulations are pencils and watercolor or ink and watercolor, maybe some pastels. Iíve never pushed painter to its limits. I also want the portability. My pyrotechnic laptop goes all over town with me, but the same canít be said for itís big purple companion.

So whatís a good tablet notebook? At or under two grand, and is there a specific add on wacom pen you recommend? Iím interested in your user experiences, not just in the realm of artist usability, but also more practical things like dvd burning and ventilation. I donít want another laptop that comes with the warning label Ďcaution may burní. And seriously, that label is on this thing. Should have been a dead giveaway.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I've heard, most tablet PCs aren't pressure sensitive. I'm probably mistaken, but definetly make sure you look into that.

Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also interesting in getting a tablet PC.

The Motion LE1600 looks pretty sweet to me at the moment, but I've got no experience using it so I'd love someone who uses one for art to give an opinion.

squirpy, I'm not 100%, but i was under the impression that alot of new tablets use wacom tech and have 512+ levels of sensitivity... it's hard to find info though as they don't seem to advertise this on the listed specs of the machine (something which i consider quite an important feature).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting. I wish they'd make it more obvious on the sites. I know my dad's didn't have pressure sensitivity, but his was one of the early tablet PCs.

But if they are sensitive, they would be so great for drawing. Now I'm intrigued.

Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try contacting Mermuse
    I think I remember that he uses a tablet pc almost exclusively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Toshiba Tecra M4 user...

I have a Toshiba Tecra M4, which you can get at under 2 grand if you don't want it to be too fancy. It's pretty nice, definetly a different experience than just a wacom tablet -- while you do draw directly onto the screen, having your hand and the pen in the way makes for some difficulty as opposed to having no obstructions as with the standard tablet. 'Takes much getting used to, for me. But I suppose it's the same way with the oh-so touted Cintiq

I just wear a thin wrist glove while drawing so I don't sweat all over the monitor. Another problem is that you can't use a keyboard and the tablet feature well at the same time really... so keyboard shortcuts are out.

And although they don't come pressure-sensitive, Wacom's a smartie and offers a *free* "Penabled Driver" download for most Tablet PCs (http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver.cfm). Make sure the tablet PC you get is compatible with the driver -- I think I heard the HP Tablet PC isn't? Unsure! Of course, if you download the penabled driver, you can't also use a standard tablet with your PC, because it already has a tablet driver installed.

Also, some programs don't seem to work too well with the Tablet PC. Every time I try to use any version of Open Canvas, the pen is never fully synchronized, and it makes marks about an inch away from where I'm drawing, or on the other side of the canvas. Bleh! Photoshop of course, like a champ, syncs effing great.

I remember that Glen Vilppu (http://www.vilppustudio.com/) swore by his tablet pc and using Alias Sketchbook with it, when he gave a private workshop here at SCAD. I didn't get a chance to ask which PC he had though, argh.

In general, I wish I lived in a bigger city so I could've visited stores with a range of Tablet PCs to try and see which one was best for me. I basically flew by the seat of my pants by a friend's advice and ordered the Tecra without ever using it. I *love* the M4, but have heard better things about Acer? As far as my experience goes, the Tecra only works with it's own stylus/stylii, no wacom pen will make a mark. Also, the thing is going to get hot as hell on your lap. Invest in a laptop cooling pad or something! Hope that helps?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noxismad used a Fujitsu Siemens Stylistic Tablet pc at the Prague workshop. As far as I remember it was moderately pressuee sensitive. Maybe simply ask the support at the firms - they should know.

Fipse

<Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

May *burn*?

Quote Originally Posted by joseph
    I donít want another laptop that comes with the warning label Ďcaution may burní. And seriously, that label is on this thing. Should have been a dead giveaway.
    Erk, and I don't see a warning like that on my M4, sounds scary It just gets hot because you fold the monitor over onto the keyboard/ body to draw, but never... to a *burning* sensation. Just quite hot, and without a cooling pad I'd worry about the thing's performance after a few hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.