CHOW #26 - VOTING - Bataka Rai - 1st CA

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your CHOWracter

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHOW #26 - VOTING - Bataka Rai - 1st CA cumquat

15 22.06%
  • CHOW #26 - VOTING - Bataka Rai - 1st CA carotello

28 41.18%
  • CHOW #26 - VOTING - Bataka Rai - 1st CA cognition.sb

1 1.47%
  • CHOW #26 - VOTING - Bataka Rai - 1st CA voraz

1 1.47%
  • CHOW #26 - VOTING - Bataka Rai - 1st CA rawwad

23 33.82%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yet words and pictures are now worthless… GODS are HAPPY; I CAN START TO FORGET YOU ALL!
    So here we are… the end of this.
    When I posted the topic.. I knew little about all this. Last week though… I took the trip to Egypt and got to know this wonderful and history/concept heavy place.
    I’m sorry that the drawings some of you have submitted are not really to the usual CHOW quality levels. The stories are amazing.
    Taken to the poll are only few.
    i’ve seen pictures o Horrus in your drawings and not Amun Ra – the guy with the sun on his head.. it’s not RA.. but that is not important.
    Last night in Egypt… wind was going on so strong under the hundreds of doors in my hotel, that it sounded like all the pharaohs were crying. I could not check in the morning if all the markings on the tombs have changed or not.
    I had a sick nightmare that night.

Now… let’s see… who is the one closer… to lose his reality? .

CLICK YOUR VOTE

Bataka Rai was always an introverted man. He preferred to sit in some secluded corner of the courtyard and dream up imaginary worlds rather than partake of the real world. He fashioned wondrous gods and monsters and he loved each of his creations dearly. They were like his children. Eventually, after years of immersing himself in his art, his creations began to become more real than the people around him. He started to believe that the world he was living in was an illusion and that the real world was that where his gods dwelt – the afterlife. He spent years perfecting this world; fashioning creatures for it, giving them lives names and personalities. Then, when it was perfect he finally let himself become a part of it.

The son of Djoser's favorite Hem Netjer (a common priest title), Bataka Rai was born during the third dynasty of the Old Kingdom of Egypt. The child was gifted with an uncanny imagination, and his father often drew upon the lore his son created to entertain the pharaoh, after reciting the sacred words to him. As a child, Bataka Rai would draw on the dirt -for papyrus was reserved for official documents and religious texts- by the temple doors as he would await the return of his father from his daily duties. It was here that Djoser, the pharaoh, came to recognize the image the child drew from that of his dreams: a face brilliant and magnificent and holy, Ra himself.
    Djoser brought the child into his home, and treated him as his own son, but the boy who was shy felt ever estranged from the luxurious life that surrounded him. Throughout his education, Bataka Rai concentrated all his efforts in putting his dreams to papyrus, now readily available to him. During his artistic education he became acquainted with Imothep, the great architect. Imothep would become the forger of Bataka Rai's dreams. Bataka Rai the designer, would set down what would become the face of Egypt, and Imothep would see to it that it was built. While they became fast friends; Bataka Rai also felt their differences keenly. Imothep was outgoing and socially inclined, and he eventually became recognized and highly awarded for his work. Bataka Rai, who tended to be taciturn, became arrogant and bitter, and remained widely unknown. Slowly he withdrew from the real world and submerged himself into his own, a world filled with fantastic creatures; beloved friends who were always there at the merest summoning thought.

Devoted to the memory of Bataka Rai.

In his prime many people saw Bataka Rai as a visionary. He was highly valued by royalty, not only did earning their respect, but also a hefty profit from his services. As his reputation grew, so did his fantasy, commissioning numerous tailors and craftsmen to dress him in outfits shown carved into stone.

His futuristic look was considered very risque by many, and some disapproved of his feminine inclinations. He created such a wonderous facade and felt the need to conceal his real identity, spending days at a time working in solitude, accompanied only by his cats. He began to fear ever letting anyone get close to him, for they would realise he's nothing more than an everyday man. Fame was not what he expected and fear soon turned to paranoia.

Alongside his corpse lay a bounty of carvings and rows of garments. In his honour sprung a new Egypt.

This image depicts Bataka Rai at its best. At 18 he has just finished his master piece, the image of Ra, he had created 5 years ago. This piece made for the Pharaoh's tomb marks the wide acceptance of Ra, the Sun God. This god is now fashionable and everyone wants to possess the symbols created by Bataka.
    Leading a good life, he creates Ra images and Symbols, in walls, jewelery and clothes. He is one of the most important people bellow the Pharaoh himself.
    He now starts to understand how easy it is to manipulate everyone around him and he is happy because he gets what he wants, but he starts to think how futile and stupid people are, and that bothers him.

20years old Bataka Rai was very attractive young man which loved design and girls (like me). Than he started thinking how to be greatest lover in Egypt. All pretty egyptian girls were maniacs to fashion, they wanted to have beautiest clothes,make-up, jewelry and everything what can Bataka could designed. Than he redesigned his first sketch of Ra and make from him sex-idol, all girls loved cool god with big bird ..... sorry, with big bird head. But he wasn´t real , than the second coolest guy in egypt was his creator Bataka. Then He became greatest lover as he want. He and his girl fanclub founded the most popular fashion agency in the acient Egypt.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, duder! where the shnitzel is my entry?

Freedom is awesome.
    www.croovman.deviantart.com/gallery

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice everyone.
    Voted for rawad because I like the sketchy style and the colours.
    Cognition.sb- nice piece, like the rendering but I don't find it very interesting and his face looks a little flat, maybe because of the picture size.
    carotello- nice drawing, i like the cartoony style. Don't like the Papyrus in the back so much...
    Cumquat- like your piece too, but seems it could go a little further, though i know the time is little.
    Fil
    EDIT: there are some pieces missing in the poll, is there a reason for that? Just asking....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was just reading your post Oblio and you say that the guy with the Sun in the head is not Ra, I think you are talking about my image... I did look up stuff in the internet and that image came up in severall places for the god RA (first page that came up in a Google seach: http://members.aol.com/egyptart/ra.html)
    Also you are talking of Amun Ra in this post, but in the initial thread you said Ra, wich is different from Amun Ra, the last was a "fusion" of the gods Amun and Ra.
    At least that's what I read when I investigated in the net... if i'm wrong please somebody correct me...
    Cheers
    Fil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is pretty uprising, I hope I get an explaination soon on why my entry wasn't included! and I don't think "not usual CHOW quality" really is enough.
    in any case, Cumquat is the one that captured me this round, I reckon it's that wonderful expression. technically everyone did great (except me appearantly! >: ( )

Freedom is awesome.

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mine isn't here too. I'm kinda suprised ! Hey, you forgot two people here ! (Look like i'm in the same crew as croovman)

Don't mind the way I write if you understand what I want to say !
    Vive le Québec libre !

Sketchbook Support Group #26

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by voraz
    Cognition.sb- nice piece, like the rendering but I don't find it very interesting and his face looks a little flat, maybe because of the picture size.
    Yea, I know what you mean... It turned out quite bland, I actually prefer the original sketch. Also, I had to reduce the file size a lot because of the proportions, so the face detail is somewhat lost.

Anyway, voted for Carotello. Rawwad was a close second.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Wtf !

Why Do You Dont Post My Final ?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dun want to work for nothing..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I treat these things as a learning experience mostly. Art is good at my school, but it's not the same environment as this community. I think that the best thing about CA.org is that it's full of proffessionals and people who are really really talented, so if the guys in charge don't want to let standards slip, it's ok.

Pointers for the future as regards my final, would be helpful if anyone has something to share.

I voted for rawwad because I really like the energy in the sketch, and it's carried through really nicely to the final, especially with the lighting. I love it.

I really like the rendering in cognition's work, especially on the clothes around the torso, sweet.

Cumquat's is cool because it really captures the emotion of the moment, and I really like the colours and the way the light falls across the scene.

I didn't think I was going to like Carotello's from the sketch (just my opinion) but the colour work is really phenominal and it's turned out fantastic. Nice one.

It's ok about being cut. I was a little pissed at first, it kinda feels like I've wasted time and effort, but it doesn't matter. I like the quality you find around here.

Crooveman, I liked your sketch by the way, great idea, facial expression and anatomy. I want to improve my work in those areas, and I'd have liked to have seen yours go further.

Last edited by vaughany_boy; May 24th, 2006 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

Wow...I think it's a shame there are so few entries here. Hopefully the next one will be more populated. Thanks to those who liked my thing. I voted for rawwad, I do like the sketch a lot, just next time include the feet :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recall

List of people being LEFT OUT

-Croovman
    -Soliloque
    -vaughany_boy
    -Kawaii (me)

First of all,

carotello _ no wonder there a so few entries...

vaughanyboy _ you shouldnt say something like that. WE worked for our art, just as much as the others did. Even if our work doesn't match the professional level, it DESERVES to be rated and viewed by other art-lovers.

I already thought it was strange that the deadline got extended without warning. But leaving people out is just very dissapointing. Oblio, was it just a mistake or what?

But since the poll already started, I guess we can all only watch...

Anyway, here's my share:

Description:

Bataka Rai, a 13-year old traveler . He's always traveling from town to town with his best friend "Ra". (the bird) Bataka is a friendly boy who loves animals. He doesn't remember his past, no one does.

In order to keep living, he works as a designer for everything each time they arrive at a new town. In exchange he receives materials and food as payment. Because his designs are loved by all who sees it, he sometimes receives valuable materials such like gold. With the materials he can make his own clothes, bags and jewelry for himself and "Ra".

The boy is a living legend. He has talented eyes for designing. People who has seen him tells about his pure, golden eyes. Like jewels.

The day Bataka Rai drew the god "Ra", he was captured by the pharaoh. After that, he was forced to work for the pharaoh to accomplish a new age. The age reverred as the "Golden Age". A new culture and gods were born.

However, Bataka never felt unhappy. He also never accepted any gifts or payment from the pharaoh. His bird died when Bataka was in his mid 20's, when the world was established.

A few years later, Bataka finally asked for his payment. It was to set free all the animals owned by the pharaoh. His last words were "Egypt doesn't need me anymore". After that, he dissapeared without a trace. People thinks it's a suicide because only his clothes were found.

So says the history...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True, an explanation would have been nice. I'm not going to post my stuff here though, see the other thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    weird the others are left out. But I would have voted for rawwad any way..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's not a matter of winning and losing,

but by ignoring artwork made by artists is truly lame/
    Oblio, if the work is THAT bad, it WONT get any VOTES, so I don't think you should decide all by yurself and post whatever you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg lol. I don't know what's going on here but an artwork IS an artwork.
    Who has the right to say if it's going to be rated or not. It's very un professional.

It's called "having no respect for others who are not as good as you"
    Maybe little bit of arrogance playing a part in it?

Anyway. Let all the people decide what's best or not. Not u as hoster of this tread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Btw, I voted for cumquat,

Nice work, I got moved ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cumquat gets my vote

No!... Maybe..... Look, that was six weeks ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i gave my vote to carotello, because the style and the design are both imaginative, but i do like soliloque's approach.

plus, it seemed that carotello had some trouble with the abdomen. I'm not convinced of the style enough to accept his terribly small pelvis.

Between Action and Power, I found God.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for carotello cause the way he stylized the character and the amazing back-story he came up with just caught me.
    Rawwad was a close second. It's an amazing sketch, but the way his legs faded out just bothered me a little.
    cognition , yours was a really cool concept, and the futuristic clothing was a nice touch. However, I didn't feel your piece was dynamic enough. If you'd done something more intense with the lighting, that would have just made it killer.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, both positive and negative. I'd like to learn as much as I can from this, so I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guys feck, seriously I don’t think oblio's gonna sweat it particularly, but just in case I say good on him!

this isn’t deviant art! what makes conceptart.org so F*&KING fantastic is that everything in here is rated up to a professional level, there are no short cuts, oblio has been appointed to rate what artwork gets in as closely as is possible to a pro level. This place will not make u feel like the best artist in the world, it wont ass pat those who don’t deserve it, but IT WILL help you to become one of the best artists out there if you just keep your head down, recognise how fu*(king amazing the talent is that surrounds you and be fucking humble!

Oblio is an amazing artist who has put in the work, respect his fuking decision and know your fuking role!

this is the way these events have always been and hopefully the way they WILL always be, and it makes you feel that much better when you finally get in, shows that you have overcome something.

show sum mofoing respect you young hoodlums you!*waves angry fist*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow ALL of these are great ~ how do i pick one????

Cumquat - Really like the mood, lighting and composition in your image. Really has a different feel to it than all the others. Had to find some little thing to criticize or i'd never have picked a winner - only thing is that his back leg doesn't seem as well rendered as the rest of him, and the whole back leg seems a little off anatomy wise, can't say for sure but shouldn't his left knee either be farther from his body, or rotated forward more? Anyway very nice work

Carotello - NICE! Love the comicy exaggerated style in your design. Really liked this alot. I had to find something to crit so what I didn't like as much is that the falcon is rendered in a different style than your char and to me it doesn't seem attached to the main character as it should, also like someone else pointed out, don't know if i really like the papyrus scroll behind the character ~ I hope that didn't sound too negative. Btw also liked the slimy tentacled trash heap character you did in the cow thread this week, both your entries have gotten alotta votes!

Cognition.sb - Another really nice painting! All your work i've seen is very good and well rendered - I really liked your 'trash monster' design this week too! I like the brush strokes you used on the background also. Since I have to find something to crit - your character seems a little off balance to me, like he is leaning back on his heels and about to fall over, his left forearm looks a little long I think and the stone tablet looks a little bit flat/seperated compared to the rest of the character - great job tho and I always love looking at your artwork.

Voraz - Liked the way you painted the egyptian artwork in the background, also was wondering what media you used to make this because it doesn't look digital to me - anyway good job man

rawwad - Loved this one and voted for it! I really liked the style and expressiveness. The character isn't just well drawn but he seems very alive because of the strong posture, looks like that tablet has some weight to it as he is leaning back to counterbalance. It's cool to see how active you are in the c.h.o.w and c.o.w threads, I also look forward to seeing your work!

Last edited by Wholewheat_keyboard; May 23rd, 2006 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks wholewheat K., actually the part that isn't digitall is the bakat rai himself. The background is a mix of watercolour with photoshop painting on top. the figures I painted using a internet photo in the back as a guide, but got little time for that part and didn't want to emphasise the piece on that (I wasn't sucessfull on that). Then I think i applied some filter to make it darker, like there was little light (supposed to be inside of a tomb...), anyway the background was the most boring part to do and the less interesting in my opinion...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have never posted on this thread before but I have been reading the complaints about who is left out and who is included in the final vote and felt I should say something.
    The reason I post on this forum is because I would like to get feedback and hopefully become a professional concept designer. Part of being a professional concept designer is the ability to accept rejection.
    All art does NOT deserve to be included based purely on the fact that you call it art. Oblio has taken the job of sorting the work and narrowing the finalists down to the few whos quality of work is up to par. I personally think he has done a bang up job and doesn't deserve to be berated because he didn't throw everything into the final poll.

Good job Oblio. Keep it up.
    I for one am here to get my work judged and critiqued. Not to be molly coddled and told I am better than I actually am.

"I don't love her! She kicked me in the face!"
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry, I didn't realize this was a job interview nor that I was trying to apply into a fine art competition. I have been visiting Creature of the Week for quite some time, and this kind of thing never happend there, nor did I have any idea this was happening here.
    this thing is mainly to test if the public thinks your concept and skills are good enough compared with others, not what Lord Oblio thinks passes as quality. I'm sorry, but if the concept\idea is clear, the voters should be the ones that decide who wasn't "usual CHOW quality", I think.
    I don't understand what criterion I or some of the other guys that didn't get in failed to accomplish. the no sketches part? there's a differance between not finished and not finalized.
    at the least I got some very nice crits, but god, this is pissing me off.
    my unaccepted entry, feel free to comment please, along your comments for the competitors.

-Stav

Freedom is awesome.

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sry for the late reply - i'm under heavy fire.
    My initial plan was to post each non selected entry and give them a crit.
    That way, even if you will not agree with me, you will know my reasons.
    Unfortunately - i am extremely busy these days - jumping between studios and projects.. it's a real hell here. I mean.. i didn't had the time to post the new CHOW until today.

As soon as i will free up some time - i will get with the new politics.
    Hopefully.. next week i will be able to do it.

Now... about who the fuck is Oblio to judge... He's nobody in fact.
    Like you, my first submissions to COW were rejected. Trust me I KNOW your frustration.
    I thought Fozzy has something with ME.
    I was wrong but it took me time to see it - and it motivated me.
    I wish you the same.
    I really loved some concepts but the work HAS to be HI Quality - these are the rules. Rules were here before me.

I feel very heavy for judging entries - mostly because when i came to CA i was not drawing at all. It feels wrong for me to be in this position. And there are times... i really don’t know what to do and think for hours...
    Hate me if that will help, i only try to help you. Everything i learned about art, my LOVE for art was due to these forums.
    I try to take that on and on, further and further.

My tastes and reasons could be messed up – yet i work in videogames since... 1996. Maybe I’m too old for this. The crit section should help – you will tell me if I’m wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblio
    Now... about who the fuck is Oblio to judge... He's nobody in fact.
    Hehe, I think we could ask other way....who the fuck we are to judge that Oblio is judge....and seriously.... You do great job Oblio. I like the few last rounds. Different interesting themes and quick setting the poll. For me your choices were more interesting then Oregano's [Sorry M8 ]. I had few sketches but didn't have much time to finish them. I agree with you with no taking to the poll not finished works but in the last round you was too severe [is this good word for that?], I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no worries about my entry, I personally know it sucked ass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blah... sorry if I even scratched the surface of offending, oblio. couldn't help but feel that you just missed those nice and shiney submissions of early chows and just decided to go off filtering whatever didn't pass your bar of quality; but if I had known this was your plan (if your intentions were written in the topic post or something), I seriously doubt it would've made me even as half as upset.
    I would love to know your reasons as soon as you are free to express them.
    and the chow goes on

-Stav

Freedom is awesome.

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted cognition
    I like the introspective quality, as if the vision was all inside and there were a disconnect withthe out side. This was an intriguing topic and I didn't feel that I could spare the time to do it justice. Oblio is a sterner judge than some of the others, but fair. and if he's going to take the time and effort to deal with logistics of all this he is to be applauded. I enter fewer chows, but that's just cowardice on my part.

keep up the good work! on all fronts
    chaos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1