Sketchbook: Stillwell's sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stillwell's sketchbook

Hello everyone!

I recently started painting with Photoshop, and definately need to improve. I find environements quite interesting lately, so I'll be trying to push in that direction. I'm trying to focus on mood and colors.

Any comments is more than welcome.

Cheers!

Stillwell's sketchbook
    Done for the Peer Project. The point was to focus on value, while using only one cool and one warm color. About 40 minutes?

Stillwell's sketchbook
    Same thing as above, except this one is a mess.

Stillwell's sketchbook
    First sketch after trying out Bumskee's brushes. They're great! I love them. I don't like the composition on this one, I realised too late I placed the torch dead in the middle. I like the overall mood.

Stillwell's sketchbook
    Still trying some of those brushes, the "ground" (or lack thereof) is horrible. I don't know why I'm posting this.

Stillwell's sketchbook
    A river. I tried playing with the mood with a limited range of colors.

À vaincre sans péril, l'on triomphe sans gloire.

My sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. I like the first one the best.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great dude, you're experimenting and learning - that's really going to pay off. Try not to limit yourself, go with what looks best or what you think would look best. If you fail, try to understand why and how to correct it; you'll be on your way in no time.

"Finished" pieces to show are cool and all but they don't mean squat if you aren't learning from them.

I like the last one, I didn't see the river until you said it however - can you try to think why? What makes a normal river the color it is in life? Apply this, understand this and you could make a river bloody hot pink if it suits you.

Sorry I don't have too much to say right now, pretty tired. Keep it up and keep posting, I'll be here (With a bat if you don't update soon!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @John_T: Thanks man. Very nice SB by the way!

@Idiot: Thanks for the crits, they're appreciated. I always try to do a quick post-mortem after each piece, trying to see what went well, what didn't, what could be better, etc. You're right about the river. It's missing that little something. Water is definately something I'd like to push further.

Anyways, here's my update for tonight, I'm working long hours but I'll always try to do 1-2 painting everyday.

Stillwell's sketchbook
    Definately learned a few things in this one. The painting was quite dull for a while, and then I realised it lacked dynamism and "life". Adding those birds and the waves breaking on the rocks really helped. Can you guys feel the storm brewing at the horizon?

Back to the drawing board now!

À vaincre sans péril, l'on triomphe sans gloire.

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Stillwell, nice paintings in your sb! I like the lighthouse and dark forest pieces most. Gotta start working in color more. Keep postin bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What the 'ell - I somehow missed this one from the first post
    http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8172/field6kv.png
    I like this one a lot! Remember the contrasts from this one, these are some of my favorite things to play with. Think about what's creating the contrast and make it work for you.

Why are you saving .png's? These are huge dude! If you are using photoshop you might have the save for web function - turn it to jpeg and around 80 quality - that's what I usually use. Not too much not too little.

This current one - I can feel the excitement in your words I think, you're having fun! This one is even better than your previous ones, very cool.

I'd like to see you try some things with absolutely no opacity, value studies perhaps? It can teach you some good things, but of course there are many disadvantages too. But that's not important, it's a study right?

Cheers dude, looking forward to more. (And don't think I've put my bat away, so don't keep me waiting too long!)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.