Quick question about brush settings :)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Quick question about brush settings :)

I am just a bit confused about something - I was probably told about this already in previous questions I asked lol, but I am not quite so sure if I have been though so forgive me if its just that I have forgotten heh.

Anyways to the question...

If I just create a new document or canvas whatever you want to call it, by simply doing a "File/New" and accepting the defaults, then I select "Digital Watercolour" for brushes, and use the "Simple Water" Brush AND THEN [this the important bit] I goto "General" on the brushes palette and choose "water colour camel hair" for "dab type" and then make a stroke on the canvas/document/whatever.

Is it supposed to do what its doing on my canvas?

Which is it makes a weird multicoloured stroke, then when I release the pen preasure from my pen, it starts to transform and goes all SPRINKLY like until it reaches what I assume is the desired effect?

Is that whats supposed to happen?

Or am I or have I done soemthign wrong lol ?

Cheers in advance

Hyperion

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi,

Did you mean to mix Digital Watercolor and Watercolor in the same brush variant?

When you began with the Digital Watercolor's Simple Water variant then changed the Dab Type to Watercolor Camel Hair, you changed the brush variant to a Watercolor variant but some of other settings for the Digital Watercolor's Simple Water variant remained too.

I tried it and got some wild effects too.

The end result wasn't bad, especially when I moved the small circle in the Colors palette's Saturation/Value Triangle all the way to the right point, then lowered Opacity to 6%. Before I did that, the color I was using was a medium grey red and that painted almost black as Watercolor but a soft rose color as Digital Watercolor.

The "SPRINKLY" phase was the animated Watercolor paint diffusing into the Paper texture (at least that's the best explanation I know how to give). John Derry could explain it better.

For your amusement, what I saw (using a very high contrast very textured Paper):

I don't recall seeing those wild mid-render colors before. You've "invented" something!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    HEH I invented something lol.

Im glad at least to see that its normal for the effect to take place when anyone uses those settings and its not just my setup

I was just puzzled by that sprinkly faze aniamtion part that takes place after you let go with the brush.

I was wondering if that was happening ebcause somethign was going wrong, but I guess its natual and all is good

I realise now that what I have done is change brush types by choosing the different dab type

Thanks

Hyperion

Thanks
    Hi Hiperion,

If you want to see a Painter IX Digital Watercolor brush variant changed to a Watercolor brush variant do some fun stuff:

1. Open a new white Canvas, 850 x 850 pixels, 300 ppi (or whatever ppi you like to use when experimenting).

2. Choose the Digital Watercolor's Broad Water Brush variant.

3. Restore it to its default settings, then, in the Brush Controls palettes, make the following brush control adjustments:
    • General palette - Opacity: 100%
    • General palette - Grain: 100%
    • Size palette - Size: 7.8
    • Size palette - Min Size: 0%
    • Well palette - Resaturation: 68%
    • Random palette - Jitter: 0.52

4. From the default Painter IX Papers library, choose the Pebble Board Paper.

5. In the Color Info palette, set the RGB sliders to R:255 G:148 B:28.

6. In the upper left corner of the Canvas, paint a brushstroke zig-zagging back and forth from top to bottom, to fill up an area about 1.5 x 1.5 inches square.

7. Now make the following brush control adjustments:
    • General palette - Method: Wet
    • Water palette - Wetness: 1000

8. In the upper right corner of the image, paint another brushstroke applying a good amount of pressure, zig-zagging downward and, without lifting the brush, zig-zagging upward (over the downward zig-zag part of the brushstroke) to fill an area roughly 1.5 wide x 2.5 inches high, leaving no gaps to allow the Canvas to show through.

With Canvas highlighted in the Layers palette, when you begin painting with a Watercolor variant, Painter IX automatically creates a new Watercolor Layer where your brushstroke appears.

Watch the brushstroke until you're sure Painter IX has finished rendering it and the Watercolor Layer's water droplet icon has stopped animating for a few seconds (sometimes it pauses then starts again, thus the wait to be sure it's finished).

9. Now make the following brush control adjustment:
    • Water palette - Wind Force: 100%

10. Click Canvas in the Layers palette and, below the first brushstroke you painted in the upper left corner of the Canvas, paint another brushstroke just as you did in Step 8. Because you clicked Canvas in the Layers palette before painting this brushstroke, Painter IX automatically created another new Watercolor Layer. This allows you to reposition the brushstrokes' Watercolor Layers independently in case the brushstrokes overlap or go off the edges of the image.

11. In the Color Info palette, adjust the RGB sliders to R:255 G:65 B:1.

12. Now make the following brush control adjustments:
    • General palette - Opacity: 2%
    • Water palette - Dry Rate: 0%

13. Click Canvas in the Layers palette and, below the second brushstroke you painting in the upper right corner of the image, piant another brushstroke just as you did in Step 8. This one will take longer to finish rendering.

14. If the brushstroke goes off the bottom of the image and you don't have enough room to move the Watercolor Layer up to display the whole brushstroke, click Canvas in the Layers list, and use Canvas > Canvas Size to add 100 pixels to the bottom of the Canvas. Then close the Watercolor Layer's Eye icon and open it again to refresh the Layer so it will display the entire brushstroke, or double click the Magnifier tool to zoom the image to 100% and refresh the image display.

Have fun, and post your results here so we can see what you did, including any other Watercolor experiments this little exercise inspired!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 1