Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: J.Mac Portfolio Review

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

J.Mac Portfolio Review

Name: Jesse Maccabe
    Medium: Currently digital/Analog combination
    Education: Mostly self taught over the past 4 years, just about two years of private training. About 1 year in Boston at a private school Art Institute (actually has no affiliation with the millions of other art institutes.) after there i decide i need more b/c i want to get good! so applied to art center college of design and got in. during my first 3.5 terms i went from illustration to product design and that is what i am still but i am very interested in entertainment design, actually any design problem interests me.
    Present: I am broke so i can't continue at art center, i am actually considered poor but luckily i have friends who really care about me and help me out, thank you i love you guys. I am doing periodical freelance but i seem to have no luck landing anything on a regular basis. I am teaching myself Alias and Zbrush and continuing my exploration of materials while trying to get better.
    Interest: Drawing, life, reading, playing games (board games, video games all of the above ), hanging out, watching movies... the list is long but those are main interests.

My goals are to solve problems in the most creative way with in the restrictions of what i am doing. I would really love to work in the Video Game field, i love playing games and thinking about what i would do if i had the chance to work on it. I want to become a Concept Artist and i am willing to work has hard as it takes to get there; side note i enjoy it so i guess it is considered fun and not work.

I really would like to know what everyone feels, and i would definitely appreciate any professionals to comment with advice and crits. Thank you, i appreciate your help

Props

Characters

^This is a character lineup for 20k leagues under the sea a personal project i still need to finish it but i thought i would post it still.

^This is Dorothy from OZ but iam still doing orthos for this one but i felt i should post it. Also i have a series of The Wizard of OZ characters and props should i keep them all together or only use the best ones?

Enviroments

-Jesse

Last edited by J.Mac; May 21st, 2006 at 09:52 PM.
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shit - i really have no time right now but i saw this post last night and wanted to just respond real quick and hopefully come back to it later.

it would be nice if you could number the images.
    all together looks really quite strong. some stuff i love, some i dont care too much for, and everybody always has areas to improve. but i think this portfolio shows that you are able to work profesionally.

no1 is great that you show a solid perspective ID drawing that lets us read how that thing works. putting it in the environment show great atmosphere and scale. nice quick paint job and colours on that one. would love to see some more stuff and topics (i.e. not necessarily robots) done this way.

project 2 - great to combine that ideation with the prototype work and not just show the end result. it show your experience with the design process. and would give confidence to me if id be looking to hire someone. (im saying this, because some might feel it stands out too much with your other work. i would keep it in nonetheless because of mentioned before).

first page of characters look really good. like the colours and wide angle perspective you chose. all the other character stuff is ok too, but like your line drawings a lot better than the quick colour version you threw down.
    dorothy's line sketches are not up to par with the rest of your stuff - i would refine it or remove it.
    about vlad - contrary to the other pages, i think the layout hurts your design. what stands out most now is his bottom part and hand - not his head. i might change this if i were you. personally i dont care much for the design either, but it might be good to keep it in. i feel he's a bit generic, but perhaps somebody that is more into games has more feedback on him.

environments - all really great. together with the first robot, definitely your strong points. great perspective thumbnails and quick paints. especially the last spread has good sense of perspective through colours and light you used. im not sure of the big one on the page before. its a bit basic, lacking in detail to put it up so big. also on the coloured thumbs, there is something about the shapes in the backgrounds (i.e. far from the viewer) thats bugging me. perhaps becasue the lines are a bit hard for them to be so far away. not sure, but something to think about.

i hope this is not too chaotic, i really have to start work now, but i did want to reply to this. take all the comments for what its worth, ignore them if you know better. i hope you can land some jobs and start working or study further if you want. good luck man.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i want to get good!
    if you desire want it will keep you wanting, "CHOOSE" to get good.

then CHOOSE to do alot more life drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tensai - thanks for your comments they make sense and you have many good points i am going to be taking in mind every thing you have mentioned. I appreciate it. Thank you.

android - thanks for your comment it is powerful. it is hard to get alot of that done as an ID student but will do

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my limited experience with this type of thing I'd say it looks good, very clean and crisp, a page proving you can think things through, some good looking characters and some very well illustrated enviros.

The first page however stands out as being slightly rushed and not up to the standard of the rest, there are elements which are overly blurred.
    Maybe some more traditional art based works wouldn't go a miss. The anatomy of your characters goes a bit rubbery in places especially the arms, If you're going to whack an oddball in to a page of fairly traditional characters make sure the others have traits that make them stand out, otherwise they'll become background.

This might seem a little daft and picky, but that's the way my brain works, don't just spell check your work read through it to see if it makes sense, the description on the last page has several mistakes which get overlooked by a simple spell check.

Dutton Guest
    I'd like to offer something in terms of portfolio critique, but I'm more intrigued than anything by your pick/shovel design. If it's for ice climbing, I'd be really concerned about how well that thing bites. Could use a bigger pick, or maybe slightly more hook action? The shovel feature is pretty cool.... saves a little weight on extra tools, though if I need to burrow a cave shelter in a hurry, I'm gonna need something wider than a trowel! The hammer feature is excellent. The handle needs a wrist strap or some sort of loop for securing the tool.
    Of course, if this design has nothing to do with climbing, and is intended for, say, gardening around the house, then I'd have to say what a shame!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    young paddy1 - thanks i have limited experience with the figure most of it is from me teaching myself... i must fix that anatomy. I am glad you have a critical eye thank you! i am taking everything you say into consideration.

dutton - ok the tool is based off a ice axe but the thing is that this tool is for car/base campers mainly male target group who want a tool that they can carry in their car and use on site. I wanted to give a more masculine feel, i thought about a lanyard for it, but for how the tool is used it isn't really the neccasary and almost a gimmicky feel. i tried it but it didn't work with my design. Thank you much appreciated

Thank you all very much, i will be making some changes soon.

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Members who have read this thread: 1