Art: Difference between sculpy and clay? and some random questions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Difference between sculpy and clay? and some random questions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Difference between sculpy and clay? and some random questions

Please excuse my ignorance, but whats the different between these two? Is sculpy lighter or something? Ive just recently been making a cyclops out of clay for a college project and ive been finding it hard to balance this thing because the clay is so heavy. It does have a form of skeleton but its not very strong. Ill try and post it once ive painted it

Ooh one more question is it wise to airbrush unfired clay?

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sculpey is a brand/trade name for a "polymer clay" which is defined as:
    Polymer clay is a manmade material that remains pliable for long periods, but bakes or "cures" in your home oven at a fairly low temperature; though hard, thin sheets are often flexible. You can sculpt it, carve it, stamp it, texture it, sand it, buff it, paint it, and build with it to create sculpture, accessories, figurines, dolls, or jewelry, or use it to embellish other surfaces.

You can use polymer clay to make mosaics, plaques, wall hangings, furniture, and other decorations. In recent years, polymer clay has developed from a child's plaything into an artistic medium, yet its delightful playfulness has not been lost.
    Do not use sculpey(trade name) for sculpting. It's qualities do not allow for serious artwork. I'd suggest Super Sculpey FIRM for any serious artwork.

http://www.sculpey.com/
    http://www.glassattic.com/

I've seen examples of painted earth clay, but I'm only guessing that it all depends on the clay, the paint and what will be done with the artwork on whether or not its a wise thing to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info ill bare that in mind

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main difference between Sculpey and, say, ceramics clay is that ceramics clay or other earth-based clays are naturally occuring substances. Hence the title -earth-based'. They may be treated in ways to remove impurities etc but still basically remain what was pulled out of the ground.

Sculpey is a polymer clay, it's synthetic and in actual composition closer to plastic.

In practice the key difference is in drying time. EB clays will dry out in hours just by sitting out unattended, Sculpey can be left out for months, though I wouldn't suggest it, it does become harder to work with. Also, to properly dry and harden an EB clay you must fire it in a kiln at ridiculously high temperatures. Sculpey you can bake in your home oven, providing the piece you want baked fits.

I find Sculpey holds detail better and is stronger, and I'd imagine most people on this site would as well.

There are multiple types of Sculpey. The generic brand "Sculpey", Super Sculpey, Sculpey III etc. Most people here won't touch regular Sculpey with a ten foot pole but I successfully sculpted a 5 foot dragon out of the stuff with no problems. Super Sculpey is better but regular Sculpey is not nearly as unusable as everyone claims.

Members who have read this thread: 1