My art project
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My art project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My art project

I was just debating with myself earlier on whether if I'm allowed to post this here in the "It's Finally Finished" section, since I believe that it is. Anyways,
    this was an art project that I did for my art class around April. I finally got the paper back and received a 99 on it. Being that I don't do much background coloring, I decided to give this pic a try, and wholla! I'm gonna show her tomorrow and see what she thinks, since her opinion matters to me the most, I could really care about the shit you guys have to say.lol (Just playing, please don't critique with anger!). So yea, in this pic, the left leg may seem small but it's because of the perspective and that his legs are spread.

EDIT: And the left arm is skinny huh?lol

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Who is 'she?'

Anyways, I'm going to bet all the tea in china that this will get moved to the critique section. Though it may be done, the finished section is still reserved for works that are advanced/professional in quality.

I'll start crits early:

What I really think ruins this piece out of everything is the lack of difference in line weight. Those big thick outlines are bad enough, but it's a big nono to have something as fine as hair or wrinkles defines with such huge strokes.

The anatomy of his lower body needs an overhaul. His right thigh is too long, his lower legs are very short (especially his left) and his feet are tres tiny.

I ask you to listen to my previous advice and seriously look at anatomy and somewhat realistic drawing. it's not even a case of style anymore, it's a case of looking incorrect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "So yea, in this pic, the left leg may seem small but it's because of the perspective and that his legs are spread."

Yes i get what you tried to do but you must understand that this is a very wrong perspective, in wich you need much practice, look at the building in the background, if the eye level is in the foreground building, then i would be looking down to those buildings in the background, but this doesnt happen in your work, and this also happens withe the other buildings.
    With the lighting there are problems too, look at his face and nose, then look at the buildings, totally flat, very bad.
    I also think you need to use reference for building and sky and clouds and water, since the blue thing to the right doesnt look like a lake.
    I think that the outlines are too thick, specially on his face and hair, they ruin your realistic shading (wich in my opinion is nice) because of it and also ecause of inconsistency of styles, think about it, if you aim for a realistic shading then outlines from comics dont belong here.

Your drawings are good, but you need to get a lot better, dont worry though, with lots of effort you will get there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhineville, it seems your whole comment didn't even reply to my post, except for the first part "she", which I was referring to my art teacher. You are right on the anatomy, again, but this was early April before I signed up here. So it being inked, I couldn't change anything, and with the choice of only having one Inking pen to use (we all don't got the money you know), I can understand what you mean on the line weights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian223
    "So yea, in this pic, the left leg may seem small but it's because of the perspective and that his legs are spread."

Yes i get what you tried to do but you must understand that this is a very wrong perspective, in which you need much practice, look at the building in the background, if the eye level is in the foreground building, then i would be looking down to those buildings in the background, but this doesnt happen in your work, and this also happens withe the other buildings.
    With the lighting there are problems too, look at his face and nose, then look at the buildings, totally flat, very bad.
    I also think you need to use reference for building and sky and clouds and water, since the blue thing to the right doesnt look like a lake.
    I think that the outlines are too thick, specially on his face and hair, they ruin your realistic shading.

Oh this isn't very good...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this is a scan of your art then, you inked it and coloured it on a piece of paper? If so, I'll take back my remark on line weight. But if you did this on the computer, you could have went over your original lines and make them thinner. Or, simply remove the lines altogether. Not easy if you have a mouse, but an attempt at a variation in line weight can be forgiven, and encouraged with a 'practice and you'll get better' remark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I had a wacom. And thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you use the magic wand tool and then fill it in? also if your old enough you could get a job (i dont mean to lecture anyone, i only work 2 days a week (im a slacker)) but it helped me, prismacolor pecils and water color paper isnt cheap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, I painted it each at a time, since I didn't want to do all the blending on the same layer. Why?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why he asked about the magic wand tool... maybe some areas look like they're "cut out"

Anyways, I'll 'end' here by saying that you've got potential; many people are content to have their characters lie in an uncomfortable and uninteresting pose, at least you have your character in a bit of a natural, relaxed pose instead of a 'look at me I'm standing' affair.

That said, you REALLY have to start working with proper anatomy. Help yourself to get better by drawing real people that you see, even a googled image of someone would do. Use pencil and a piece of papaer, stay away from digi for a little bit, and post your sketches in your sketchbook or in the sketches/WIP section.

If this is an old pic, please refrain from posting older work, as it's hard to comment on something that doesn't speak of your current skill. If it's new, it's quite obvious that you haven't taken our advice.

Hope to see some real-life studies from you, happy drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.