Thanks

Question How do I cease business with a CREEPY client?

This is actually a serious question. I'm not offended or creeped out by many things. Just annoyed, usually

But, I have a new client who just entirely creeps me out. I already have a seething hatred for him. He is so weird that he alludes to incestuous pedophilia within his conversations. Yeah. He's that weird.

So, do I have the "right to refuse service" to anyone I choose? How would I go about doing this? I've never had to get rid of a client, but I've never been so thouroughly grossed out by one either.

This is the graphic design side to my stuff, btw. Just logos, etc. If that matters.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If the contract (if there is one) doesn't give some penalty for bailing out, do so! This is freelance, right? Not a client through a company? No one says you have to do work for anyone, if you don't want to.

Just be professional and to the point. I would be honest, but you can always make up an excuse if it makes you more comfortable. Explain that you welcomed the oppertunity, but cannot work under such disageeable circumstances. Also make sure that you make it clear that you don't want the client to try and fix/discuss/apologize...or you'l get more creepy correspondance.
    Last edited by Mirana; May 18th, 2006 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah, it's entirely freelance. No contract. No obligation. I just have no idea what to say to him.

I took his deposit, did exactly half the work, and now I don't want to do the rest. I don't care about the balance due. I just want out.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Tell him that an unforseen family/professional emergency makes it impossible to continue. Apologise for the inconvenience but don't offer any further detail. Keep it professional and formal.

Then change your phone # and email address .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    You wont suffer for any repercussions for bailing out. If it feels unconfortable, then just go. Tell him you don't want to work for him anymore. That's it.

Good luck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    I took his deposit, did exactly half the work, and now I don't want to do the rest. I don't care about the balance due. I just want out.

...bad move.. sounds like a handshake deal/a spoken contract, wich binds you by law (at least here in germany). besides.. you already recieved half of the payment in advance.

If you're lucky, you can bail out by giving him the work you've already done OR return the money, keep your designs and call it quits. If you're unlucky.. well... then you'll have to go all the way through and finish the job.

Anyways.. give it a shot and tell him how the situation is (in a professional, calm manner). Chances are 50/50...

hope that helped...

Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    Oh, I get it. The problem is that you've already been partially paid. Well, I don't think it's right to just up and quit in the middle of a job without some kind of warning or attempt to solve the problem. If I were you, I'd let the client know, in simple and straight forward terms, that if he can't keep all future communication with you strictly professional you will walk away from the job and he will lose his deposit. Probably what would be best would be that he not contact you at all except with pertinent details relating to the job. If he can't handle it, then you should feel free to walk away from it.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    I'd let the client know, in simple and straight forward terms, that if he can't keep all future communication with you strictly professional you will walk away from the job and he will lose his deposit.
    that is exactly what you do.
    give him a stipulation.
    that way, if he does not abide by it, HE is in breach.
    at that point, HE made the desicion to break the arrangement...and you are free to go.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    I know this may hurt financially but give the guy back any up-front money he paid you and tell him you don't feel comfortable working with him and to take his business elsewhere. Tell him that his discussions of a sexual nature have made impossible to work with him. Don't beat around the bush. You don't want him calling in the future asking you to to do more work. Mail the check to him so you don't have to have any further personal contact.

Just so you know, what this guy is doing is sexual harrasment and if he were working in an office where he did this to anyone who reported to him, all it would take would be for one of those people to report him and he would find himself in the middle of a very expensive (mostly for him) lawsuit.

In the future, when talking with a client, make sure you immediately shut down any discussion that makes you uncomfortable. Most people will take the hint and stop but some people are clueless enough to take your lack of comment for encouragement.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    this logo design doesnt involve the letters N-A-M-B-L-A does it..?

Thanks
    Thank you all for your advice. I will face the phone call tomorrow...

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    Rascar Capac: oh man! you totally beat me to it! as i read your post i was thinking, damn i wonder how the hell incestuous pedophelia came up in a logo discussion, and i wonder what the logo could be ...yeah elwell nailed it. nice, ambiguous, courteous, and something they wont fuck with you on. -c36