Journey-10th Grade 2-D Design Project
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Journey-10th Grade 2-D Design Project

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Journey-10th Grade 2-D Design Project

    I did this earlier this year for my 2-D design final. The project was to create a Science Fiction Movie poster with as little text as possible, date not necessary.

    I'm quite fond of it despite the errors in coloring and inking. This is the first major project I've really ever done. Unfortunatly, I could not photograph it well. 14"x18.5 Artboard with PrismaColor Marker and white/black ink. "Comments and Critique appreciated!



    Detail Shots:






    Sketchbook~

    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    -Scott Adams
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It has some redeeming elements. The background detail you show is very interesting. The title might look better if just the top or bottom of the letters had an alternate style. As it is, it throws off the cohesiveness of the composition. You are probably already aware that you need to practice some of the anatomy basics, facial feature construction etc (ears come from the middle, back 1/3rd of the head rather than the side of the face). Some portions look like you really enjoyed doing the art, while others look like you just wanted to crank it out.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Cali - L.A. Baby
    Posts
    789
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 159 Times in 90 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    One other thing you might have done, is put the characters in different poses or at different angles. Even though we only see the bust of the characters, it would have made the composition more interesting. Also, I like the lettering toward the right, that you probably designed yourself. For all of the lettering though, on the left and right side, you should consider using graph paper or just drawing lines with a ruler, to help get the proportions and sizing all correct.

    I used to use markers all the time before I got into actual paint, and digital rendering. At this stage in your art, if you really like markers, you might also want to incorporate colored pencil. They go great over the marker, and they are usually pretty opaque, so you can pull highlights out from dark marker colors. Keep practicing, trying new things, and definitely practice your anatomy and basic pencil drawing skills.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidity'sUglyHead
    It has some redeeming elements. The background detail you show is very interesting. The title might look better if just the top or bottom of the letters had an alternate style. As it is, it throws off the cohesiveness of the composition.
    My original idea was to keep the two halves of the picture seperate, each side having it's own qualities, but I do see what you mean. Next time, I'll keep this in mind. Text isn't really my strong point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidity'sUglyHead
    You are probably already aware that you need to practice some of the anatomy basics, facial feature construction etc (ears come from the middle, back 1/3rd of the head rather than the side of the face).
    Yes...ears always mess me up. My passion drawing originates in anime obsession so I have some anatomy to re-learn. This was done some months ago though, and I have improved some since then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidity'sUglyHead
    Some portions look like you really enjoyed doing the art, while others look like you just wanted to crank it out.
    Is it really that obvious? I did start to feel rushed as I finished this. My ambition got the better of me and I ended up cramming some to make the deadline. I need to learn better time management.

    Thankyou kindly for the critique.

    Sketchbook~

    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    -Scott Adams
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by artiphats
    One other thing you might have done, is put the characters in different poses or at different angles. Even though we only see the bust of the characters, it would have made the composition more interesting.
    Yes, I see what you mean. I will definatly keep this in mind for later works.
    Quote Originally Posted by artiphats
    Also, I like the lettering toward the right, that you probably designed yourself. For all of the lettering though, on the left and right side, you should consider using graph paper or just drawing lines with a ruler, to help get the proportions and sizing all correct
    Thankyou, I'm glad you like the lettering. Rulers and I don't mix very well...my hands are kind of shakey. It might just be from never using them though.

    Quote Originally Posted by artiphats
    I used to use markers all the time before I got into actual paint, and digital rendering. At this stage in your art, if you really like markers, you might also want to incorporate colored pencil. They go great over the marker, and they are usually pretty opaque, so you can pull highlights out from dark marker colors. Keep practicing, trying new things, and definitely practice your anatomy and basic pencil drawing skills.
    Personally, I dont' use markers very often. Most of my coloring is done with pencils or with my computer on rare occasions. I do want to get better with markers though. I love their smoothness. Painting is something I haven't done in a while. I'm always too afraid that I will mess up the paper (I really don't have much money) though I realize actually the only way to get better.

    Colored pencils and marker. Intersting, I never really thought of using them together before. I always assumed the pencils would get overwhelmed by the markers.

    Your critique was greatly appreciated!

    Sketchbook~

    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    -Scott Adams
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    well if your worried about ruining the paper or whatever and you are still in grade 10 and i assume in art class, just do like me and my buddies did when we were in high school and steal the paint brushes as well as markers and stacks of paper to practice on, u can always hide the paintbrushes well in your socks and under your pants

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhine
    well if your worried about ruining the paper or whatever and you are still in grade 10 and i assume in art class, just do like me and my buddies did when we were in high school and steal the paint brushes as well as markers and stacks of paper to practice on, u can always hide the paintbrushes well in your socks and under your pants
    But such acts would ruin my spotless record...plus most of my pants have very small pockets. It seems those that design girl jeans decided we don't need pockets.

    Kidding aside, the art supplies in my school are limited enough, and adding to the problem is not something I'm about to do. Stealing just isn't my thing. I'll just have to learn to live with 'wasted paper'.

    Sketchbook~

    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    -Scott Adams
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •