Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Both Bible Code and Mayan Calender Predict End of Days in 2012....OMG?

There are many websites related to 2012 - due mainly to the Mayan prediction. The reason the Maya expected the world to end isn't clear. Their calendar was composed of various cycles and there are many and various theories about how these relate to cycles in the universe that could effect us badly.

http://exodus2006.com/2012.htm

http://www.adishakti.org/mayan_end_t...12-21-2012.htm

Mayans were advanced astrologers by the way. They made the 365 day calender way before the Europeans did.

http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html

I just thought I'd add a little paranoia in your day.....like you don't have enough?
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    First...and please Christians here forgive me... It is the bible...

Second... Mayan knoledge about astronomy was outstanding for the times they lived, but i seriously douth they could predict something like "the end of times"

Third...The end of the world was going to be in the year 1999 because it was 6661 if you flipped the numbers upside down...no, maybe 2000...ah wait, maybe 2001...

Please, if some people is so eager to the end of the world, a bullet in the right place will end it for them.

Thanks

Thanks
    It isn't like our planet is so significant to the over all scheme of the universe. We're just a pimple to our own sun, which is a pimple to bigger stars which is.. etc etc.

If nothing else, this is just an excuse to get laid
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Well if that's when it all goes down, I hope it at least looks cool. And my freelance career has taken off!

Thanks
    Advanced astrologers because of a 365 day calender? I don't think you're getting your info from reliable sources. Also, the 365 day calender is wrong, which is why we have leap years. It involves the degrees in a circle which was originally believed to be 360 but there are reasons why most mathematicians now use radians.

Anyways theres lots of info on this crap but I don't know I would give mayans credit to being able to predict the apocalypse. I bet those mofos could make some mean quesadillas, tho.
    This too shall pass.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I douth "mofos" is a right word for the mayan...( and i do think the quesadillas joke is a bit unessesary) Also they didn´t say the world was ending, they just stoped writing the calendar at that year...wish again...means nothing.

Thanks
    For the mayan: It is not the end of times, the universe will just change, nothing serious, change dirrection at most I've heard

Thanks
    The last full blooded mayan will probably die in 2012, thereby ending the world for the Mayans.

Thanks
    listening to Tool right now..Learn to swim!
    joemadfan.com I run this site

nathensprings.net coming soon!

My Sketchbook updated 3/27/06

Thanks
    What, pray tell, is the functional difference between an advanced astrologer and a regular astrologer? Level 2 certificate in scrying of the empyrrean aethers?

Ahhh find some numerological oddity, cower in fear/stockpile food and weapons as the date flies past, plot forward to the next, repeat. It's a time-worn tradition that has been keeping people occupied for quite a few centuries now.

Let's enjoy a brief summary of the frightfully long history of eschatology

Rest assured that barring chance collision of celestial bodies etc, the world will still be around until at least 8661, as predicted by the infallible Church of the Subgenius

Wait - backed up by bible codes you say? Well that changes everything!

Thanks
    Rest assured that barring chance collision of celestial bodies etc, the world will still be around until at least 8661, as predicted by the infallible Church of the Subgenius
    http://exodus2006.com/2012.htm

You guys aren't reading that link, because that's precisely what the Bible Code Predicts.......and the Bible Code is a hell of a lot more concise then Nostradamus.

The Mayans seem to be more into Astronomy then Astrology. They probably saw it coming......the celestrial body thingy.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanks
    This is offtopic, but why is it that I always see you starting useless threads in the lounge Noserider instead of doing an art post, or something usefull?

Thanks
    Imagination is not useful?

Why do people think thinking is not useful?
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    You guys better get Leonard Nimoy's Y2K survivial guide and a tinfoil hat then. (Read the comments, hilarious I tell you!)

But seriously, what do you guys think will happen when/if we manage to device a truly intelligent self modifying computer program and run it on a 20petahertz machine, then connect it to a network where it assimilates all historical, medical and technological data? It's not more than 50 years away.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider
    Imagination is not useful?

I can´t believe you actually believe this crap, i thought you were calling Bs on it.

I mean Bible code?! Apocaliptic theories??...What makes you "think" you are "thinking" at all on this one??

Thanks
    I don't know if it's true or not........I'm just supposing.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    First thing I read is "They told us this would happen". So lets say that, by any chance, I believe that during a ceremony angels came down and talked to that man about the Tsunami, etc... Of course, he announces that AFTER the events. Which is how it always is Like any prediction, it's being interpreted.

"Oh! But WWII was predicted you know! And 9/11 too!" Hm... yeah... once its happened, you read some documents and decided it's what it probably meant. You interpreted it the way you thought fit best. And that's fine! We're humans, we need reasons to explain attrocities (be they made by humans or otherwise).

Not saying that what they predict isn't true. You never know! ( um... yeah... ) But I seem to recall a lot of people panicking on the last day of 1999, because at midnight, in 2000, judgement day was coming. But then they said they miscalculated. It really was 2001! I recall reding something similar about 2005 or 2006. But hey, unless I died many times and didn't notice... I'm typing this right now

Hehe

It was still an interesting read ^^;

Thanks
    and the Bible Code is a hell of a lot more concise then Nostradamus.
    Don't make me sig this....

Thanks
    Maybe these guys will finally be successful then

Thanks
    Mayans were advanced astrologers by the way
    This one cracked me up, as well. Dang, NoSe, a couple good quotes in one thread!

Of course, if they were really advanced, they could have predicted their own demise and mitigated it.

And the Mayan's worked out the 365 day calendar around 500 BC, while the Egyptians had been using one since 4000 BC. (yes, they're not Europeans, but they spread their stuff around, so it's hard to say if Europeans developed their calendar's independantly from the Egyptian one)

As far as the Bible being a less cumbersome prediction tool than Nostrodamus's writings, you probably shouldn't be listening to a Dracula-knock off to begin with.
    Last edited by dogfood; May 17th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Mayans actually didnt predict the end, but the "golden age of mankind"
    they had a cyclic view of the universe/time

guess well just have to wait it out

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    To add to the silliness...

The Mayans DID NOT predict the end of the world in 2012 (May 6, if I remember correctly, but...). The native American tribes like the Mayan, Toltecs, Aztecs, Hopi, Navahoe, etc., believe that the world/space/time is cyclical and every so many years (actually--millenia), it resets itself to shake off problems like sickness, age and corruption. These people all believe that the universe and the earth are living breathing entities that must be respected and treated well or they will react badly to the life currently existing...kind of like getting the measles or TB. We're the TB.

To insure the continuity of life, the earth/universe "changes direction," shakes its self off, and kind of rearranges things that have gotten out of place so that life can continue for another x number of years. THIS is what the indians were trying to predict...not the end of the world.

The end of all things based on whether one of the viruses upon the earth is moral enough or not according to some random rules is basically a stupid self-centered concept of western civilization. The best thing to happen in that case is that the world WILL end as they know it, leaving the rest of us in peace.

One interesting thing to look out for is that the Hopis/other Pueblo Peoples believe the earth just plain gets pissed with man and every so often, turns the results of man's greed upon him...one morning you wake up and find your kids have been swallowed by the oven, your toothbrush is trying to kill you and your car has just eaten the neighbor, 36DD jogging top and all.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    I've got this old national geographic show on vhs. one of the first things we ever taped with our tank sized vhs recorder.
    The show was made in early eightees and said that the ice age would start in 1995 and by the mellenium we would all be iced over. hmmmmmmm it is a bit chilly, o wait it's winter.

The end of the world will come when the sun burns out,
    They (sun scientists) predicted that the sun is about half way through it's life. So that gives us a nother oh .... billions billions of years.
    those people who keep predicting the end of the world are negitive thinkers, I'm a positive thinker. I think things will get better and better, for some people at least. Humans are here to stay!

Thanks
    End of the world ehy? There better be zombies, nothing like a good zombie apocalypse.

Thanks
    Im still waiting for 6/6/06, if a anti christ is coming and he wants to look professional...

Thanks
    A society which can think for itself can't be controlled.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The classic Maya civilizatin totally collapsed by the year 950.
    If they couldn't see that coming, why trust their predictions on anything else?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Once while St. Francis of Assisi was hoeing his garden, he was asked, '"What would you do it you were suddenly to learn that you were to die at sunset today?'" He replied, '"I would finish hoeing my garden."

Thanks
    I predict this thread will win a "most useless thread" award.

ps. I'm not sure what it is, but your new avatar makes me giggle, Snarf.
    pps. Sig that shit!
    ppps. Ilaekae, that's a morning to look forward to!
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast