Need advice~

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need advice~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Need advice~

Probably a question that has been asked asked a few times but, I can't seem to find a thread anywhere.

I'm in my second year in game art (Mostly 3D) and I've realized I want to focus more in conceptual design (more 2D than 3D). I'm not sure if I should finish my bachelors degree in Game Art or switch over to Illustration. If I finish my bachelors in Game Art will my 3D skills be used much for conceptual design? I enjoy doing 2D conceptuals much more than modeling / texturing 3D...

for example.... stuff more of the lines of Feng Zhu, Craig Mullins, Ryan Church, Linda Bergkvist....

So should I just tough out Game Art out or switch to illustration?? ><;....

I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any illustration schools that kind of stand out from the rest. Something very challenging and geared towards more commercial art. A school that is mostly geared towards digital media rather than traditional media. If this helps looking for a very "Modern" Illustration program. Tons of focus on Photoshop and Painter...

To break it down looking for a school that specifically specializes in conceptual design: character design, enviromental, vehicles..everything

Thanks

Last edited by Daniel Bragg, Jr.; May 17th, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #1 There are currently no schools (as yet!) that offer a concept design major or focus.

#2 There are few schools that offer a purely digital media focus.
    You will have to learn traditional media in any art form you major in, and if you switch to Illustration (or thereabouts), it will be mostly traditional with one or two basic digital courses thrown in to diversify. This is not a bad thing. You will learn more about how to handle digital media if you learn to handle traditional FIRST. Your digi work will look like shit if you don't know basic concepts in traditonal media.

It seems that learning 3D is a major plus when it comes to gaming/CGI concept work. Companies like it when you understand the basics of 3D and/or can model/rig/program yourself. If you do an illustration minor in addition to your 3D program, you'd be golden.

G'Luck.

Last edited by Mirana; May 17th, 2006 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a college that I am looking into right now called Butera School of art in Boston, Ma, they have a 2 year Commercial Art program that I am trying to get more info on, In a few weeks I am going to go visit it and get more info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for the help I think i'm gonna stick with Game Art. I investigated more into alot of the work habits of conceptual artists and alot of them are using 3d within their 2d stuff... as you mentioned Mirana. Thank you Mr-Joe I'll check that school out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    If you do an illustration minor in addition to your 3D program, you'd be golden.
    Seconding this as a really good idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good idea sticking to the current course... you could use this to go for a Bachelors of art from a nearby university, i'm not sure but i think this might be it since a lot of the conceptual job listings i've seen want you to have a degree in fine arts... though i could just be looking in the wrong places.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to one of the Art Institutes you can't choose a minor. The game art program is a four year program in computer science. But, I've been doing all my illustration stuff at home slowly progressing I hope.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.