Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts

so how was Art School Confidential?

well...how was it???

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    According to Rotten Tomatoes, not so hot. But I too am dying to hear what some honest to god art school vets think of it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Here's a decent clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptr4d...20confidential , I'm eager to rent it.
    [

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    meh. The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are actually pretty right on. Rehashed bits from Ghost World, fairly "who cares" sort of characters, a really out of place murder mystery subplot... John Malkovitch was excellent, and there were some funny bits, but it was very bitter and not that great overall. In my opinion.

And some things annoyed me in a former-art-student kind of way, like kids smoking in the class rooms (as well as in bars, which I thought was illegal in NY?). Also, in both scenes where a life model is posing, they have to ask the distracted teacher for a break because they have no timers? But these kinds of annoyances have no effect on the story itself, so...
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I was really looking forward to seeing this. But we're not even getting it in theatres here. And My city is a huge metro city, so that bugs me.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    The creator of this movie apparently went to Pratt, where I (and Mike Corriero) went. I was really excited to see it because it was said that most of the influence for the characters and the school itself came from Pratt's....... eclectic.. student body and faculty.

However the constant stream of bad reviews has curtailed my plans to see it =/

I also however would like to know if the reason it wasn't too popular in conventional circles was because of the 'inside' humor that maybe we artists and former art school attendees would get.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    I saw it last night. There is some definate laughs to be had but if I had paid more than the $5 I did I would have felt ripped off. The reviews are pretty accurate.
    I would still recommend going though, as long as you're not expecting anything.

Thanks
    It reminded me so much of MICA back in 97/98 I was laughing my ass off for the first 40 minutes of the movie, and then the murder plot took front seat and I stopped laughing and started wondering wtf happened to the funny art school parody. It wasn't horrible, definitely worth a rental, or matinee if you've got money to burn and time to kill. I don't know why but I drew visual similarities to the major changing guy and Jason Manley actually.. and that made the movie even more amusing. You're not twins or anything, but I could see how the 2 of you could be related.

Thanks
    I enjoyed it. Mostly funny, the murder mystery wasn't all that gripping. Cynical for sure. And a rather cheesy ending.

Thanks
    So are any of the jokes in the comic in the movie? Maybe people are better off sticking with the comic.
    SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    murder mystery? damn

I was hoping this was going to be about pretentious kids at art school.

I thought This video was pretty funny. About an uptight artsy kid trying to pitch his movie script to his mother.

Its from the same people who did Fear of Girls
    Last edited by oracrest; May 21st, 2006 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    The creator of this movie apparently went to Pratt, where I (and Mike Corriero) went. I was really excited to see it because it was said that most of the influence for the characters and the school itself came from Pratt's....... eclectic.. student body and faculty.

However the constant stream of bad reviews has curtailed my plans to see it =/

I also however would like to know if the reason it wasn't too popular in conventional circles was because of the 'inside' humor that maybe we artists and former art school attendees would get.
    the first half was gold! it tackled lots of great art school stereotypes and dark truths. The second half was lame because of this murder mystery deal....

its worth the first half tho.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium Macaroni
    Yeha, Dan Clowes was George Pratt's (no relation to the school) roommate back then. I think one of the characters is based on kent williams and the other people that he was friends with at the time. Still haven't gotten the chance to get out and see it. :/

Thanks
    agreed.... the first part was just pure hilarious. i laughed so hard. (i want my prof to see it so maybe he'll piss off.)

second part=boring and not funny.

worth it for the first bit though.

why is it that is so true though? art professors taking the side of poor drawings purely for the expriential value. i really don't get it. (i am talking about the clip posted) in my experience the professor NEVER has respect for a well rendered drawing.... its always the guy that mixes cig ashes and paint that gets the praise?

what gives?
    "Cause now we say goodnight
    from our own separate sides
    like brothers on a hotel bed"
    ~Benjamin Gibbard

WWW.ARTOFCOLE.COM

Sketchbook

Keep a rockin conceptart

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj
    Here's a decent clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptr4d...20confidential , I'm eager to rent it.
    After seeing this scene im eager to...
    It quite coveres one of the things that bugs me about art-shools...the guy that is actualy the one with the highest skills gets cursed by the friends of some wannabe-artist who thinks everything just needs to be "emotional" enought to be good (welcome to the real world ...)...tho` the technical more experienced guy`s Self-Portrait wasn`t really the holy grail of creativity and his rant about the girls pic was just the product of pride...it contained nothing helpful ,even it seems like he want the girl out of his way because the rather "poor" stuff is "insulting" his eyes...

...and John is just awesome as an art-teach
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    That clip was the best part of the movie. That's exactly how it felt many times. "Yours looks like it was done by a machine, where's the humanity?"
    Or the teacher giving us assignments on doing abstract art, when no one, including the teacher had a remote idea of what was going on. In fact, in my abstract assignment of 5 pieces, I included the object I was making the abstract paintings from included in the painting itself (much like the murder's artwork in the movie where the victims necklace was pasted on the painting). The teacher went off on me how that is not supposed to be done, blah blah blah. Few years later at a high priced gallery they were selling his work, and there was the exact same idea of the object in the painting, like I had done.
    Pretty close to the same stereotypical students, even people crying in the classroom during crits!

There are some good teachers I'm sure, but this is the same ballpark how art teachers in college have to be the best bullsh*t talkers.

Thanks
    This reminds me of why I decided to not go to the art school here in my city.

We got to sit in on classes and it seemed like you were not aloud to give any negative feedback.

Anyways I thought the movie was pretty well done, if you're an aspiring artist. They poke fun at alot of the artsy stereotypes and the ways other people react to art as well.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    1st half good, 2nd half bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    The "murder mystery" sub plot was pointless and silly, the art school stuff was just frighteningly accurate.

Thanks
    the movie was spot on.

spot..on.

i was laughing the whole time.

this movie is not about a murder mystery, it is about art school.

i loved that movie. boy howdy.

Thanks
    "How long have you been doing these... triangle paintings?"

"I was one of the first"

Thanks
    Had potential, but the murder subplot bored me to tears. The stereotypes were spot on, at least there were some funny moments. Besides that, I would rate this movie A for awful.

Malkovich malkovich was great though.

Thanks
    haha, that one clip on youtube was awesome! They actually filmed a lot of the movie at Otis College of Art and Design where I took a pre college program, and that one scene was where my classes were.

Thanks
    Just saw this earlier in the morning. Like most people said, it was good during the first half, but it seems like it just fell apart. And the main character becoming obsessed with trying to win the heart of the girl...just seems like that was taken really too far. Then there were a lot of hints at possible sub-plots that were left unfinished...

I thought if the murder sub-plot thing was taken out and the movie was made a little more simple, focusing more on Jerome's evolution as an artist it would have been a lot more interesting...instead of trying to focus on two things within the movie. I guess I thought they could have just been a little more creative or something.

Some really funny parts though. My favorite was when that emo girl was screaming in the bedroom and then laughing and crying again...hahaha.

I also liked the part towards the end when the guy Jerome befriended tells him at the bar "Now I know who you are...you're the class douchebag." Hahaha.
    "And you will shed tears of scarlet."