wip-the journey begins

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip-the journey begins

doing double duty as a class assignment and for the cgtalk challenge. thanks to all who commented on the composition of the piece, as well as my other stuff, everyone helped me out alot.

just about done as far as the class assignment goes but still got a little over a week before the cgchallenge ends. crits and suggestions are more than welcome.

wip-the journey begins

wip-the journey begins

Last edited by kyi_72; May 16th, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really dig the colors in this, only crit is that the blue and purple buildings on the right side of the image have too little detail compared to the rest of the background and the eye gets drawn to them right away instead of to the figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god so this is how you painted it, I can just embrace the sensation of lack of knowledge now within me, because if I had that sketch and I should start painting it I would have never gotten anything near as wonderful as this, really lovely colours !!!!!!!

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm diggin the composition and background, but I think the characters need a little polishing. Right now the more noticeable thing about them is that the girl's right arm is too short and stiff and kinda twisted, perhaps it should bend and its elbow move backward, so it follows the regular walking cycle's mechanics (opposing arm and leg move together). It's cool that you used colors in the figures's self shadows, but they have a value almost identical to the lighter regions, I think you should lower their values, but trying to keep a nice saturation. As it is now, it's looking muddy and flat.
    Oh, and you need to define some edges for that first plane ground surface, 'cause it's not reading very well, probably because the background elements are well delimited by those sketchy dark lines (wich I like btw).

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for taking the time.

added a couple more textures and some paint to the bg and worked on the characters a bit. yeah, could use some rocks and cracks or something in the forground...think i'll have to forget the cat idea, i cant seem to find a nice place for it. one of those things i should have done sooner.

the proportions of the character have been bothering me, her right arm is holding back a rifle, maybe that isnt to clear and needs some attention.

wip-the journey begins

wip-the journey begins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my c&C

without looking at anyones comments, the anatomy of the girl bothers me a lot, her arms just look short...or is her body just too big? I am imagining her arms if they were longer, but it would make for too orangutage like, typos i know...or is it an illusion that her arms are short?

The BG is fine with me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    couldnt sleep and so i worked it over again.

wip-the journey begins

wip-the journey begins

wip-the journey begins

wip-the journey begins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this image is looking great, realy like how you did the buildings, I hope you get to finish this. Looking to what has been said about the girls arms I think there really is something about them. I think as a guide the elbows should be around her waist but in your picture they are way above it, and her finger tips should go near the midle of her tight wich i don't think they do (its difficult to see due to the large pants). Not really sure if the problem is from the arms or the body, but I think that the problem might be worked out if you made her arm longer to bring the elbow to the waist, I think the forearm is probably allright.
    Anyway the background is looking great.
    Cheers
    Fil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for taking the time. i did a drawover of the woman to see where some improvements could be made with the proportions, i extended her right arm but i think that what was mostly throwing things off were her shorts and hips. they are low riding shorts and so the beltline is below her navel, also being that they were of the extra long burmie type threw things off a bit, so i shortened them. i also gave her really wide hips...a personal preference.

hope this helps. i still want to pop the characters out a little more so will be going in a little darker, maybe adding some texture layers. also added some rubble and cracks to the fg.

thanks again,

k

wip-the journey begins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i really like this piece. it really stands out. good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for looking. here i tried pulling the characters forward as well as more emphasis on the morning light. also tried to push the bg further. i'll get into the faces a little more, it has been suggested that they show more emotion and some details are bothering me in other places as well.

worked a little more on the clothes and finer details/

wip-the journey begins

Last edited by kyi_72; May 23rd, 2006 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think their clothes needs more details and you ought to start making them look sharper. It's just that I feel my attention drawn to the background more than the characters as they appear way more detailed (and cool) than the characters (it's a very well-done background), and it may work to the disadvantage of your image.

That white building at the center is pure gold.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres the final. not officially entered since i neglected to read the submission guidelines carefully, but was finished on time and i learned alot.

wip-the journey begins

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.